• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow, Steve Wilks just released in SF

jb2288

7 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

This, this, this - cover 0 cloud which Mahomey took advantage of a couple of time.  Even when he was with Ron they would go to that soft azz zone and try to just keep the lead.  Rivera and Wilks are two peas in a pod.

yep, going soft when the moments are critical. 

• Pie 1
  • The D 2

1 minute ago, csx said:

The going soft debate here is interesting.

1. Rivera is responsible but not McDermott

2. Wilks is responsible but not Shanahan 

Gotta pay attention to tendencies. Has McDermott done it a lot in Buffalo? I honestly don’t know, but it was a problem during Ron’s entire tenure. Wilkes was the same way both times as DC here, during his interim HC time, and as DC in SF. I dunno if he was that way in Arizona but you can see a pattern with Ron and Wilkes. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, csx said:

The going soft debate here is interesting.

1. Rivera is responsible but not McDermott

2. Wilks is responsible but not Shanahan 

Rivera was the head coach when McDermott was the DC and despite Riverboat making McDermott play zone our defense was the best I can remember in this century with McDermott as DC.

Shanahan is the HC not the DC and as far as we know, he only called a timeout once to tell Wilks not to play cover 0.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Davis said:

Rivera was the head coach when McDermott was the DC and despite Riverboat making McDermott play zone our defense was the best I can remember in this century with McDermott as DC.

Shanahan is the HC not the DC and as far as we know, he only called a timeout once to tell Wilks not to play cover 0.

Yep. It's the HC responsibility to make these decision. People like McDermott and Shanahan so they will view the situation based on that and not who actually is in charge

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

You again aren't wrong but I can definitely see why he chose to fire Wilks. That unit honestly under performed for most of the year and the defensive play calling during that GW drive will probably haunt them for awhile. It was pretty bad.

Their production was identical to last year. Talking about yards being withing 5 a game and points within 1 with more sacks.

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

McDermott is still a zone guy and always has been. That is his lineage. Both him and Rivera were under Jim Johnson who was well know for his zone coverage defense. So was McDermotts first DC Leslie Frazier (well known zone guy) and now Babich (who followed from Carolina) the current Bills DC

Edited by csx