• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josina Anderson thoughts on the Burns situation

ncfan

18 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's about time they stop rewarding mediocre players for mediocre effort.  Screw the moral in the building. Those guys have been one of the worst, and now the worst team the in the league. Its not all on the coaches as to why they suck. If they don't like it it gtfo. We've had too much of that attitude in the building for too long.

Agree. Reward the guys like Brown and Luvu and set the tone for expecting toughness 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, 33inNC said:

Maybe Burns should have not expected such a high amount. I am all for paying what players are worth, but some get greedy and price themselves out. 

Our front office are the ones who set his value so high by turning down 2 1sts and a 2nd for him. That's Bosa level trade value. I don't blame him at all for getting what he can. The Panthers chose to be in this position.

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh there is no question about the loss. If we sign him for what he wants, it's a loss. If we sign him for what we offered, it's a loss. If we trade him for less than what the Rams offered, it's a loss. If he walks away for merely a compesetory pick, it's a loss.

The instant we turned that offer down, we lost. The only thing that needed to be answered was by how much.

It’s still amazing to me how many people in here couldn’t see how ridiculously good that offer was when you added the three picks plus the ability to sign two $15M a year FAs for Burns. At least those of us who understood the full value have been exonerated but it still sucks because being right meant our idiot GM was proven wrong yet again.

• Beer 1

Agreed with what another posted. Let the players see how we handle business. Extend Brown and Luvu and they will get the message. I’m all for keeping him at 23-24mil I just don’t think it will happen. How can we say this guy deserves more than Crosby? I was one who wanted to pay him 27-28 last off season scared of him balling out in Evero’s defense but didn’t happen. Now not sure if he’s worth that.

19 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Our front office are the ones who set his value so high by turning down 2 1sts and a 2nd for him. That's Bosa level trade value. I don't blame him at all for getting what he can. The Panthers chose to be in this position.

That doesn't actually set his value though 

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

https://x.com/josinaanderson/status/1760433355529621578?s=46

wont let it embed it from my phone.  So if someone wants to add it.

but this part makes me nervous.

Can only imagine what Brown and his agent are thinking watching this

IMG_7621.jpeg

Well, if everyone is watching it sounds like an easy call….

go pay and sign Brown and Luvu first and foremost.  Go lock up what has been our best players on the D.   Seems like players here are far would respect that. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, The Lobo said:

By not accepting the rams trade this team made their decision. Now if they trade him for less than what the rams offered, that’s a big fat L. They have to reach an agreement some way, although I think paying him 30 mil is too much. His production does not match that. If he gets it, good for him, get the bag. 

The only L would be signing him to a long term deal. As long as Burns is not on the roster by TC its a huge win for the Panthers.

4 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s still amazing to me how many people in here couldn’t see how ridiculously good that offer was when you added the three picks plus the ability to sign two $15M a year FAs for Burns. At least those of us who understood the full value have been exonerated but it still sucks because being right meant our idiot GM was proven wrong yet again.

Or we could have afforded to keep cmc and Moore.  Burns would have had essentially 0 dead cap hit. We paid the best running back in football 30 million dollars to not play for us anymore. That trade was unbelievably stupid looking back at it. The value was just ok and we still had to eat all that money so we couldn't use it on other players. Even if we didn't completely poo the bed on the picks it was still dumb as hell 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, App Panther said:

As I kept reading it, I literally thought this was a planted story. 

It's clearly what it is.

His agent saw all the talk on twitter about the athletic article and wanted to put public pressure back on the Panthers instead of his client.  So he paid her to write a story.

• Pie 4

Looking at the available options and the current situation I think we end up using the non-exclusive tag.  That way if he thinks he is worth $30M he can go get that from someone else and we still get 2 first round picks in compensation if he does.....or else he accepts the tag and we continue a lower trade or lower contract.  This is exactly the purpose of the Non-exclusive.

But on Burns - the $27M is easily fair considering his production and age - yes he would be 2nd highest, but not long as the market always adjusts.  It is high enough to be fair but low enough to be where he is valued for the next 3-4 years.  If he can't see that then the problem is him.  I'm a fan of transparency - the locker room only needs to know that you are working with him professionally and the 2 sides disagree - details aren't required.  If Burns of the others want to spread details that is on them - if it gets detrimental that is on them and you need to move on from them.  But the Front Office just  needs to be fair and consistent....not held hostage by immature young adults.  That is how we ended up in this mess.