• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Gallup to visit with Panthers

7 hours ago, Navy_football said:

and he consistently got separation. and he consistently broke tackles. big play receiver that can't get a chance. thinking maybe he has a hard time picking up the offense. otherwise, WTF!

Exactly!!!

4 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Well, the NFL analyst who actually tweeted out the clip that was linked in here has an opinion on that:

image.png.4d985ace3ae56d3d1c2b95cb997cfb6d.png

I'm inclined to agree with him since Mingo is just sprinting full speed towards the sideline.  Sure, if Bryce had an absolute rocket launcher of an arm then he probably could've snuck that inbounds while also leading Mingo, but realistically speaking...that looked like a lack of awareness to me.  It wouldn't be the first or second time Mingo was criticized for lack of awareness during the season.  But beyond that, I think the bigger picture is that Bryce and the WRs largely didn't seem to be on the same page other than Thielen.  I still think Bryce is the type of QB who needs good route runners with good awareness who he has rapport with.  Guys who he trusts to be where he expects them to be when he releases the football.

Yea, a throw leading Mingo there is out of bounds. Mingo should throttle down and prepare to make a sideline catch keeping his feet in bounds. He didn’t, but he was a rookie. It’s not the end of the world as long as he learns from it. 

I don’t understand how anyone can bash Mingo after just one season and especially with the complete train wreck he experienced with the coaching. It’s no secret that the WR position is one of the hardest transitions from college to pro and why most WRs need 2-3 years to transition. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, jtm said:

I don’t understand how anyone can bash Mingo after just one season and especially with the complete train wreck he experienced with the coaching. It’s no secret that the WR position is one of the hardest transitions from college to pro and why most WRs need 2-3 years to transition. 

There were guys here calling him a bust after the first 6 games of last season. It's completely ridiculous. I agree, we need to see what he has with a coaching staff that actually gives a poo much like the rest of the team from last season who are still here. We won't know what we have in anyone till we see it under good coaching that actually wants to coach and run the team positively instead of just mailing it in without care as Reich and company seemed to do.

Mingo definitely looked bad last year. Bryce definitely looked bad last year. Just gonna have to hope they both have a significant rookie to second year leap and do better under different coaching. I think Mingo has the athletic talent to do it. My concern is that Bryce may not.

15 hours ago, frankw said:

Was Bryce Young not allowed to put in extra time developing a rapport with his wide receivers?

Let's hope that's changed for 2024.

Well you're ignoring the parts preceding the rapport; route running and awareness are pretty important prerequisites.  No amount of rapport is going to overcome erratic route running.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Bryce had the most success connecting with a 33-year-old very slow and unathletic  Adam Thielen.  Because their strengths complement one another.  Thielen is the type of receiver Bryce needs IMO, not necessarily athletic freaks.  And that's why I'm eager to see how Diontae Johnson does in our offense because he seems (on paper at least) to be a Thielen-type who can get open but with some actual YAC ability.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Well you're ignoring the parts preceding the rapport; route running and awareness are pretty important prerequisites.  No amount of rapport is going to overcome erratic route running.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Bryce had the most success connecting with a 33-year-old very slow and unathletic  Adam Thielen.  Because their strengths complement one another.  Thielen is the type of receiver Bryce needs IMO, not necessarily athletic freaks.  And that's why I'm eager to see how Diontae Johnson does in our offense because he seems (on paper at least) to be a Thielen-type who can get open but with some actual YAC ability.

Plus Young did work with his WRs in the offseason.

https://www.on3.com/pro/news/bryce-young-impressing-panthers-receivers-at-private-workout-at-smu/

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I think Ladd McConkey is the Thielen upgrade. Thielen 3.0. 

• Beer 2

I love sitting in the end zone when I go.  In fact, when I watched film with Beamer's staff at Va Tech, Most of the grading they did was from the endzone camera.  They graded film by watching each play from the side, then twice from the endzone. 

When we watch a game on TV, it is from the side.  We can rarely see what the FS is doing, and we lose the routes when the ball is snapped. Announcers, mostly former NFLers who watched film for days, said on numerous occasions that nobody was open during multiple games.  The OL sucked, and we were usually playing from behind. 

Yet most people have dismissed Bryce while seeming to disconnect him with the performance of the OL and the WRs.  Amazing.

WHen Bryce was practicing with his WRs, there was no rush or coverage. 

So what do you think the problem is?  Could it be the rush and the fact that WRs were covered?  That tends to throw off timing, and timing is what those drills work on. 

Just a thought.   But I will say that people have thrown Bryce under the bus prematurely.  No QB would have succeeded here.  Want proof?  Look at what Baker did when he went to a good offense.  And the OL was much better when he was here.  I expect that level of improvement here.

• Pie 3

20 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I think Ladd McConkey is the Thielen upgrade. Thielen 3.0. 

Ladd is similar to Diontae Johnson I think we take a different type of WR depending on who’s available. 
Xavier Leggette, Xavier Worthy, or Malachi Corley are better fits for what we need 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Well it bares repeating that Andy Dalton who is a pretty awful QB at this stage in his career made it work with the important prerequisites you mentioned.

Last seasons results weren't all Mingo and the rest of the receiving cores fault. Nor were said results all of Bryce Young's fault clearly.

But you also can't negate the fact that when Bryce Young was on the field every defense we faced had seen the film. The film of said route running and the film of Bryce Young not utilizing the entire field. All of that made their jobs significantly easier.

I do agree I have high hopes for our new WR from the Steelers. Though if what I've read from a Steelers fan here who seemed pretty straightforward about his assessment of Johnson is true then we should keep expectations relatively even until we've seen him with this group for a few games.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Idk man looks more like a photo op to me.

Let's remember Bryce Young looked to be the most rusty and inaccurate of the three QB's in the deep passing drills at BOA during camp. Even moreso than Matt Corral. How did that translate to the regular season?

We'll just have to see what his approach is this season.

Edited by frankw