• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam on Bryce needing to step up and Tepper cleaning house in 2020

28 minutes ago, strato said:

As an aside: In one spot in the video Cam says “I have no one to blame but myself”, about something. If only more people could get to that place instead of that excuse and finger pointing routine.

Anyhow I always thought the reason Cam played the way he did was because bottom line that is how he wanted to play. That he saw himself as the most effective or able player on the field. 

That is kind of anti the narrative people have taken up about him but I see it as very possible he wasn’t totally forced into that style of play. More like they couldn’t stop him from going there, so make the best of it. 

And, he was the most dominant offensive player on the team, and a top guy in the league.

I would love to get the story explained from the source.

yeah, I mean, Cam has addressed that before.  That was his game and good luck trying to stop him.  Got to let a lion roar or something like that.  Ron for all his faults, totally embraced Cam being Cam.  Personality and style of play.  Every coach wouldn't of created an environment for him to be special. 

15 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Nobody on this board wanted Herbert. Yall were claiming he wasn't committed to football, and that his college game wouldn't translate. 

Now everyone is saying the opposite.  Such bullshit.  

I was the loudest voice on the huddle for Herbert.  

The masses just weren't buying his stock. 

I actually did want him. I said he was the best in that draft.

16 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Nobody on this board wanted Herbert. Yall were claiming he wasn't committed to football, and that his college game wouldn't translate. 

Now everyone is saying the opposite.  Such bullshit.  

I was the loudest voice on the huddle for Herbert.  

The masses just weren't buying his stock. 

I dont remeber what my opinion of him was but it's not my job to accurately scout qbs. They should have done it because THEY are paid to figure poo out. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I wasn't for it.  I thought he played "meh" at Oregon based on expectations.  I was wrong, but I still think he is slightly overrated.  

When they did scout the QBs hard they completely blew it.

edit: I didn’t scout the QBs either until we traded up, I had the same attitude. Who knew that obvious stuff even I could identify would be ignored by the pros.

Edited by strato

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

My only reason for not being in total football depression is if herbo was a panther, so would herniay to this day.....

1 hour ago, Panthero said:

I dont remeber what my opinion of him was but it's not my job to accurately scout qbs. They should have done it because THEY are paid to figure poo out. 

Is why I wanted them to draft him.  He was worth whatever price they had to pay to get him. imo. 

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, CRA said:

yeah, I mean, Cam has addressed that before.  That was his game and good luck trying to stop him.  Got to let a lion roar or something like that.  Ron for all his faults, totally embraced Cam being Cam.  Personality and style of play.  Every coach wouldn't of created an environment for him to be special. 

My personal theory is that Ron saw he had an automatic 3rd and 4th down conversion machine and to save his own ass road Cam that way till the wheels fell off. He was close to being canned before Riverboat. 

Coach Chud had Cam on the right track, and we should have made a better effort to keep him. He had Cam coming out swinging, throwing all over the field. We did RPO's but we also played under center and threw on first and second down consistently. 

Because Cam was a force of nature, we were able to get away with it for a while simply because he was soo damn good. But our offense got predictable. We became a high risk/high reward offense without the supporting talent to keep that sustainable. Our RB's began to age and the o-line was degrading, and WR talent wasn't getting replenished.

We didn't really start addressing this until 2017/2018. Cam started looking like the passer he was always capable of being and then TJ Watt had to be a POS and KB was too lazy to chase a defender.

Edited by OneBadCat

2 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

My personal theory is that Ron saw he had an automatic 3rd and 4th down conversion machine and to save his own ass road Cam that way till the wheels fell off. He was close to being canned before Riverboat. 

Coach Chud had Cam on the right track, and we should have made a better effort to keep him. He had Cam coming out swinging, throwing all over the field. We did RPO's but we also played under center and threw on first and second down consistently. 

Because Cam was a force of nature, we were able to get away with it for a while simply because he was soo damn good. But our offense got predictable. We became a high risk/high reward offense without the supporting talent to keep that sustainable. Our RB's began to age and the o-line was degrading, and WR talent wasn't getting replenished.

We didn't really start addressing this until 2017/2018. Cam started looking like the passer he was always capable of being and then TJ Watt had to be a POS and KB was too lazy to chase a defender.

Cam Newton was the greatest shortage yardage weapon in NFL history.  Cam was a unicorn as a runner.  Ron embraced it which IMO was the right call and most coaches would have never done it.  Embracing what made him special.  On and off the field.  Ron did both. 

I still think Ron gets too much hate on Cam.  The real injustice was the roster around Cam, not how Cam was used.  

Yeah, when he ran, Cam punished defenders. Sitting in the pocket with slow receivers, bad schemes/playcalling, and bad protection, allowed Cam to BECOME the punching bag.

Dang, after seeing that written down, it's very similar to last year's situation. Biggest difference being Bryce ain't Cam.

• Flames 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:24 AM, CRA said:

Cam Newton was the greatest shortage yardage weapon in NFL history.  Cam was a unicorn as a runner.  Ron embraced it which IMO was the right call and most coaches would have never done it.  Embracing what made him special.  On and off the field.  Ron did both. 

I still think Ron gets too much hate on Cam.  The real injustice was the roster around Cam, not how Cam was used.  

I can't give him off the field after the tie nonsense

On 4/12/2024 at 9:24 AM, CRA said:

Ron has been garbage as a HC and only had a winning record when he had both Cam and Luke.

The dude is not HC material in todays NFL, maybe in the 80s he would have been a great HC. 

The hate is well deserved for a guy that NFL talking heads act like is an elite coach, he is far from it, 

• Poo 1