• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Some of his footwork issues are definitely tied to his height/size however you want to say it. Mainly the hesitancy to step into the pocket when there's pressure, the bunny hopping which inevitably gets his feet parallel. The latter also affects his timing, when he does see an open guy he's not ready to throw so he either uses all arm or wastes time resetting his feet and the ball gets out late. 

That's the same issue that tall QBs with bad footwork have.  It isn't an issue of size.  You could argue his lack of size makes it harder for him to compensate for bad footwork (for example, Cam Newton, whose footwork was atrocious especially early in his career but he made up for it because he was a great athlete) and I would agree with that.  But the footwork itself isn't a size problem, in my opinion anyway

Edited by Mage

14 hours ago, rayzor said:

I don't know...I think he tailors things around what Bryce can do comfortably and well. The run game and OK will just make it easier. Run games and OL don't just help gunslingers. They help every young or weaker QB.

I think people are just stuck in limited paradigms.

What is it that you think bryce does well? And do you think it will be good enough to win 10+ games a year, beat good teams, or win in playoffs? 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

What is it that you think bryce does well? And do you think it will be good enough to win 10+ games a year, beat good teams, or win in playoffs? 

I think we're getting ready to find out. Can't base much on the poo show we saw last year.

At least i can't. Y'all are probably a lot smarter than me and can probably see the future...I don't know. I just don't think the situation was conducive for a rookie QB to do anything well. New situation should help bring better results.

All my opinion, which is what all of us have to go on until the season actually starts.

And 10 games + playoffs this year? Hell no. Playoffs would only come if the rest of the division sucks and we're the turd that floats to the top.

After that....sure, why not?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Buckeye Homer said:

Patrick Mahomes was tied for 20th in yards per pass completion.  

That isn't because he wasn't trying to push the ball downfield.  His receivers just sucked.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Buckeye Homer said:

Patrick Mahomes was tied for 20th in yards per pass completion.  In other words, he didn't complete a lot of long yardage passes, relatively speaking.  However, he also finished 2nd in total gross passing yards.  So the "dink-and-dunk" approach can and does work, as long as it's Patrick Mahomes running it.  🙂

He's Patrick Mahomes.... 3 time Super Bowl champion.

BTW he was still 9th in YPG.

BY was all the way down the list at 35th.

Our issue last season wasn't that we were running dink and dunk. There were simply throws that weren't on the table or attempted for whatever reason anyone wants to conclude. Half the field was off the table more often than not. Every defense we faced knew this. Pair that with constantly being in shotgun because our starting QB wasn't comfortable working under center and you get the league's worst offense.

Our head coach has a lot on his plate to say the least.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, frankw said:

He's Patrick Mahomes.... 3 time Super Bowl champion.

BTW he was still 9th in YPG.

BY was all the way down the list at 35th.

Our issue last season wasn't that we were running dink and dunk. There were simply throws that weren't on the table or attempted for whatever reason anyone wants to conclude. Half the field was off the table more often than not. Every defense we faced knew this. Pair that with constantly being in shotgun because our starting QB wasn't comfortable working under center and you get the league's worst offense.

Our head coach has a lot on his plate to say the least.

Don't forget we only ran like 26 rpo's total or something ridiculous like that. Like the qb isn't comfortable with under center play action, you don't give any pre snap motions or rpo's? 

• Pie 3

On 5/17/2024 at 11:14 PM, Mage said:

That's the same issue that tall QBs with bad footwork have.  It isn't an issue of size.  You could argue his lack of size makes it harder for him to compensate for bad footwork (for example, Cam Newton, whose footwork was atrocious especially early in his career but he made up for it because he was a great athlete) and I would agree with that.  But the footwork itself isn't a size problem, in my opinion anyway

Everyone is different.  Think Bryce’s size creates his bad footwork.  Think Cam’s arm and gifts created his.  So essentially a surplus of physical gifts and a lack both can both lead to bad footwork. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

On 5/18/2024 at 9:15 AM, rayzor said:

I think we're getting ready to find out. Can't base much on the poo show we saw last year.

At least i can't. Y'all are probably a lot smarter than me and can probably see the future...I don't know. I just don't think the situation was conducive for a rookie QB to do anything well. New situation should help bring better results.

All my opinion, which is what all of us have to go on until the season actually starts.

And 10 games + playoffs this year? Hell no. Playoffs would only come if the rest of the division sucks and we're the turd that floats to the top.

After that....sure, why not?

There is always that one team that performs above expectations. So why not us?

• Beer 1

Bryce absolutely has issues seeing the field. He isn't fast enough to pull a Murray or Wilson and create space for more vision. Improved footwork isn't fixing any of that. The new OGs may help with protection but I'm not seeing how it helps his vision challenges...that is if they find a decent center.

40 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

There is always that one team that performs above expectations. So why not us?

that's what i'm thinking. and knowing our history, when  we have the least expected of us, we've always done well. where we've always struggled was when people expect a lot from us. 

i think we are primed to do....ok. not great, but have a much better year than most expect. 

also, we're in the NFCS...the most ridiculous division there is for the randomness of yearly results. with the exception of when brady was in tampa, no one ever knew who to expect to win it all because it was different every year. we were the first to repeat as division winners, but aside from that it was largely whoever finished last would somehow finish first the next year or something crazy like that. 

and then there's Bryce, who i think will do a good bit better this year. it just makes sense that we would see a good bit of improvement in him just from having a better OL, better receivers, a more decisive offensive plan and coaching, and a year under his belt. 

• Pie 1