• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben Jacobs joining Panthers' coaching staff

GRWatcher

9 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

The keyword is "his" athletic prime, which generally for everyone is around 30 years old...  males begin to lose natural testosterone around 31 or so.  His prime isn't Julius Peppers' prime, hell, probably isn't even Lester Towns' prime, but it IS his prime.  

Point being, if you're an athlete (limited or not), and not yet "over the hill," why would you not do everything in your power to keep playing?  Unless you knew someone was doing you a favor by letting you play to begin with...  JMO...

We never know whats going on in someones head.  Maybe he dreamed of being a coach all his life, and now he has his chance.  Maybe he is just tired of the pain.  Point is we just dont know.  He was an average player in the NFL and a decent special teams player, no reason to think he only makes the roster because of Ron.

10 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Point being, if you're an athlete (limited or not), and not yet "over the hill," why would you not do everything in your power to keep playing?  

Understood and valid.  Counterpoint is that there are hundreds of other guys doing the same thing and are playing for roster spots in week 4.   The odds are no t good if you are at your ceiling and are likely to get overlooked in place of the 25-28 year old guy that isn’t in his prime yet.  

It also makes sense that he would schools to hang up the cleats if there is another opportunity for securing income for the next 30 years of his life vs having to fight for a roster spot for the next 2-3 years.  One door closing but anther opening.  

11 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

The keyword is "his" athletic prime, which generally for everyone is around 30 years old...  males begin to lose natural testosterone around 31 or so.  His prime isn't Julius Peppers' prime, hell, probably isn't even Lester Towns' prime, but it IS his prime.  

Point being, if you're an athlete (limited or not), and not yet "over the hill," why would you not do everything in your power to keep playing?  Unless you knew someone was doing you a favor by letting you play to begin with...  JMO...

Come on, man. Now you're trying too hard. That's some special b.s. right there.

We all know you hate Rivera as our HC, but as opposed to casting negativity on a potentially good hire, why not look at the possible benefits? 

I'd say that Chase Blackburn has been a solid hire so far, and I really don't see any reason right now why Jacobs assisting him is a bad thing. I mean, the guys were successful playing special teams in the NFL and aren't known for being dummies. They're likely two guys that you want on your team.

19 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

Jacobs replace Heath Farwell, who left the Panthers in the offseason to become the special teams coordinator of the Buffalo Bills.

At this point can we just install a garbage chute that runs from Charlotte to Buffalo or something?

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Come on, man. Now you're trying too hard. That's some special b.s. right there.

We all know you hate Rivera as our HC, but as opposed to casting negativity on a potentially good hire, why not look at the possible benefits? 

I'd say that Chase Blackburn has been a solid hire so far, and I really don't see any reason right now why Jacobs assisting him is a bad thing. I mean, the guys were successful playing special teams in the NFL and aren't known for being dummies. They're likely two guys that you want on your team.

It's nothing against Jacobs...   my issue, again, was this is same old Ron.  This hire alone isn't bad.  I question the process that leads Ron to making moves like this time and again and the cumulative effect these moves have on our franchise; and I don't mean player to coach hires, I mean, "let me soften the blow of firing you/demoting you" moves that Ron makes.

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

It's nothing against Jacobs...   my issue, again, was this is same old Ron.  This hire alone isn't bad.  I question the process that leads Ron to making moves like this time and again and the cumulative effect these moves have on our franchise; and I don't mean player to coach hires, I mean, "let me soften the blow of firing you/demoting you" moves that Ron makes.

I definitely question Ron a lot, but I’ll see what Jacobs brings to the table first. I don’t mind brown being hired. It just makes me feel weird that a guy drafted when I was in college is now retired and coaching 

https://www.panthers.com/news/special-teamer-ben-jacobs-flips-the-field-on-his-football-career?fbclid=IwAR2FTKL4E2A2nuDvRqh-FBHokw3ZC4x4rM48MNv8LugWoAYnE8SArp1ut-c

“It was surprising when I got that call, and it obviously gave me and my family a lot to think about,” said Jacobs, who was released from the roster Monday and named Carolina’s assistant special teams coach Wednesday. “The initial thought was, ‘I’m not done playing yet.’ But then the more I sat on it and thought about it and talked to people around the league and to friends I have that are coaches and some old coaches that I had, it became the only decision that made sense – to take the job.”

“I thought about it back in college, that one day I might want to coach,” said Jacobs, renowned among his teammates for his coach-like note taking. “Then 2016 came around, and I was released after camp and was out until the last month of the season. I missed it too much. I knew I had to be a part of it somehow.”

“We need to impact games in a positive manner more,” Jacobs said. “We have to have those game-breaking plays. We didn’t really have many of those last year. If we’re going to go where we want to go, we need to have that.”

8 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Lol, I've explained what was relevant, you just refuse to acknowledge it.  I have no idea what counterargument you are even trying to make here...  so, enjoy Coach Jacobs. 

Refuse to acknowledge what?  Your argument isn't good, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be counter-arguing.

You do realize the average career for an NFL player is 3.3 years, right?  About 6 years for players who make the opening day roster as a rookie.  Guess what?  Jacobs played 7 years.  But yeah, tell me how all players are at their prime at 30 years old.

Ben Jacobs had a longer-than-usual career for the average NFL player, especially one who was nothing more than a special teamer, but yet you are confused as to why he might be out of the game at 30 years old?

If you want to complain just to complain, fair enough.  But making statements like "football players are at their prime at 30 years old" is such an over-the-top generalization that is quite frankly, incorrect.  Ben Jacobs was a bench warmer.  There is literally no reason to be surprised that he retired at 30 years old other than wanting to cry about such a minuscule issue, especially considering we're talking about an ASSISTANT special teams coach.  In actuality, he's probably just on the coaching staff to learn and help around and probably won't have much of an input about anything.

4 hours ago, PhillyB said:

how common is it for teams to hire former players as coaches? we seem to do it  lot and it seems like it could be lazy/blinding. 

Fairly common. These days, some of them start out as interns.

This is one of those cases where the process itself doesn't concern me much, though given his history the guy in charge of the process still does.

Archived