• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilson character issues.

Rags

This makes me think Todd Marinovich--to a lesser degree.

He does not remember the interception when he was 8, but he remembers his father getting on him for jogging into the endzone. 

This could be a problem.  Dad ain't going away--and when he talks of Zach's dreams, I thought, "Are they though?" 

I thought Cam's dad would be a problem and he was not.  But book I just published is about Trauma and it gets into this kind of stressor on kids.  It weighs on them until the rebel.  Maybe relevant, maybe not. 

This isn't wrong, these are very similar issues teams had with Clausen. Granted, Wilson is the much better prospect, but it's not like these concerns are not wandering around in the heads of teams up until draft day. At the end of the day, you aren't going to pass on a potential franchise QB for something that you can try and fix internally. 

I just remember Collins and his bag of issues. We all want a QB that can ball but these kind of character issues can matter very much. Hopefully the coaches and FO can root through it and see what is what.

At least he is not Rapistburger. I don't think I could pull for a QB if they went to that level of shitty. Yeah we all want to win but there are levels of aweful that can be deal killers. Collins was our known one, Clausen was a massive bust anyways so I don't know how much of that failure I can blame on his attitude due to his complete lack of skills.

1 hour ago, Panfan35 said:

I don’t care where he comes from entitlement could come from confidence and someone with keen recall and smart with a lot of competitive attitude sign me up. I do know from his back story that ever since he started playing him and his dad would watch film to discuss what he did right and what he could do better. So this tells me we will be getting someone that’s film room rat. Most kids try to develop this once they are in the league he has been doing it his whole life playing football. 

Sometimes those kids that are forced to be really disciplined lose their minds and work ethic once they leave the nest.

When I was in college, I worked with a bunch of kids from the same military high school. Every single one of them failed out of college.

56 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This makes me think Todd Marinovich--to a lesser degree.

He does not remember the interception when he was 8, but he remembers his father getting on him for jogging into the endzone. 

This could be a problem.  Dad ain't going away--and when he talks of Zach's dreams, I thought, "Are they though?" 

I thought Cam's dad would be a problem and he was not.  But book I just published is about Trauma and it gets into this kind of stressor on kids.  It weighs on them until the rebel.  Maybe relevant, maybe not. 

Pretty sure that the wheels were already coming off the Marinovich wagon by the time there was any real draft talk but I get the same vibe.

20 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Sometimes those kids that are forced to be really disciplined lose their minds and work ethic once they leave the nest.

When I was in college, I worked with a bunch of kids from the same military high school. Every single one of them failed out of college.

Agreed that a lot of the wildest kids I knew in college came from the strictest upbringings but if hasn't become an issue yet I doubt it will. Guys like Manziel were already wild as hell in college they just had enough talent to float them at that level.

2 hours ago, Mage said:

Sounds like Philip Rivers esque character concerns to me.  Loud, brash, know-it-all... who cares?  As long as he's super competitive that's all that matters.  It means he'll work hard and expect the same from everyone else around him.

I seriously doubt he will go into a QB room and thinks he knows it all.  College defenses are much different than the pros.  He's going to go in and absorb what he is being taught.  I have no doubt.   Whoever he plays for. 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that he's a Mormon... I saw the Book of Mormon and are we sure we want that here in Carolina???

/s

Oh, religion. Why would that be a problem?  He seem to be just another American to me... 

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Kinda weird to evaluate Manziel though.  Yea, he stunk, but was it more of a talent-issue or a lack of work-ethic issue?  

Personally, I think it's a lazy comparison.  Wilson is more accurate, better size (running ability translates better to the NFL), and overall I think he's got a better arm.  I think Zach Wilson compares far closer to Russ Wilson than he does Manziel (not that I think he'll be as good as Russ)

For all the lazy stereotypes about black QBs out there theyre really starting to use the same lazy ones for the white ones. Not every white QB under 6’4 that has more than an ounce of swag and athleticism need to be compared to Manziel

On Walterfootball.com - 

Walter (site owner) is the hot take artist.

Charlie Campbell, who's article this is, is generally one of the best draft predictors every year and has a good feel for what positions teams are slated to draft.

He's a football nerd that does nothing else but NFL draft and its weird that he hasn't been picked up by better media outlets.

Here's a video he just did on Wilson and Marty Hurney Firing:

Archived