• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt weighs in on Deshaun Watson and Matt Stafford

Zod

The idea isn't that Stafford is equal to Watson simply to me that Stafford may cost much less making him a better value given where we are. Would you rather give Detroit this year's first for Stafford or give at least your next 3 first rounders for Watson or even more. If Watson gets hurt in the next 4 years you got nothing and no first rounder.  Given so many guys get hurt in this league I don't know that if he is much cheaper that Stafford isn't the better option. 

No one would say Stafford is better straight up.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 6

Here is the key stat for QB-starved teams: (all #s according to Spotrac)

SALARY CAP PROJECTIONS

#2 overall: Colts, with about $68m

#3 overall:  Jets, with about $65m

#4 overall: New England with about $55m

#9 overall: Washington with about $32m

So the Jets have $65m and the #2 overall pick.  They get anyone they want after Lawrence.

The Colts, Patriots, WFT all need QBs.  They know they are not getting a top 4 QB, so expect them to go after Watson and Stafford.  The 49ers and Dolphins also have more cap space than Carolina.  I look at the CMC and Thompson contracts as the reason we are in this shape; so we get a slightly-above average LB and a RB instead of a QB.  So why was Marty fired again?

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

32 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Thing is we would easily be a 9-7/10-6 team with Stafford instead of Teddy this past year. We had 7 games come down to the last drive. 

With the way Rhule has this team compete, all it’s going to take is a few FAs and one more really solid draft to make this a juggernaut team. We are not as far off as people think.

I am not totally against Stafford coming here. I would rather have Stafford than Teddy if those were the two options. I think we'd go 8-8ish with Teddy next season due to an improved roster. I think Stafford with an improved roster could hit 9-7ish or maybe even better.

I don't think Stafford wants to come here during our rebuild. He has passed his prime, or is passing it, and he needs to hit on a winner now. The Colts are set up to win now, as an example, and he would be much better suited there imo. Plug Stafford into the Colts and you're in the playoffs and possibly a SB run. Plug him in here and we're not ready to make a run. Then when we are ready for a SB run Stafford is too old. It's not great timing, and I'm not saying that 100% that's how it will play out, but I'd rather go younger with a QB.

In addition, the 1st rounder we give up for Stafford further slows down our rebuilding process.

Edited by pantherj

1 hour ago, Varking said:

DWatson: 67.8% career completions. 2.89 TD to INT ratio. 

MStafford: 62.6% completions. 1.96 TD to INT ratio. 

There’s a couple other stats that show Watson is better regardless of age. 

Well, I mean other than the quality of his play, there's nothing ELSE that suggests he's a far better QB! 

• Beer 1