• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule continues to show why he's the right guy for the Panthers

NAS

I've been a huge fan of the Rhule hire since day 1 and I think for the most part he impressed in his first season, though not without some struggles. We'll see how far he can take us, I'm not going to try to claim he has a shot at a dynasty even with Watson, but I do feel confident he can bring us our first Lombardi at least, even if it takes 5+ years before we get to that level... One thing I've learned in watching sports is that things can change fast. I mean, who realistically thought Jim Harbaugh would be out of the league after 3 straight NFC Championship Game appearances and a close Super Bowl loss? Definitely excited, but we still have a long way to go with Rhule.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

What I appreciate is that he wants real football. Not just a solid player on one end to fill a back of roster or on the opposite end, some all talent that's not really in it.  He wants focused football from his players centered on constant improvement. It sounds cheesy when you type it out but when it's executed correctly, that's how you create a damn good team.

I'm lean towards being all in on Rhule.  He's got the right genes to coach in the NFL and do it very well.  We're on a good path.

I had the perception he was going to be this over-positive preachy type but he's a f*cking ball breaker.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Did it? I thought it was a sensational hire.

Upset? No. There were concerns and on the coaching side, he proved those baseless thoughtout the year. Now we are watching his controll during the offseason but concerns and things to watch sure is not upset. 

Now I was upset Hunrey was here contaminating things. But that had noting to do with Rhule.

• Pie 3

I don't think it's fair to say a portion of the fan base was upset.  I think it's fair to say a portion of the fan base was dubious.  And that's probably a valid sentiment given his experience at the time, and the staff he put together.

In hindsight, I think it worked out well.  There were some bumps in the road and lessons learned, but you can't avoid those.  That's how you become experienced, working through those things.

Matt Rhule has a chance to be a great coach.  That much he has demonstrated.  We won't know for a few years yet whether he reaches that potential.

Edited by BrianS
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like Rhule. He seems to connect with his players. Ron did too. The difference I see between Rhule and Ron is that Rhule seems willing to learn from his mistakes, accept them, and learn from them where Ron and Hurney would double down on their mistakes with bandaid approaches instead of being willing to say, "Well, damn... we fuged up. How do we actually FIX that instead of doing our best to put lipstick in this pig?"

Agreed. I wasn't sure about Rhule, mainly due to not knowing that much about him. After watching him turn chicken poo into chicken salad over and over again this season with Teddy at QB and a bunch of rookies + JAGS on defense, he has won me over. His adjustments when things are not going well is the anti-Ron.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1