• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule continues to show why he's the right guy for the Panthers

NAS

47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like Rhule. He seems to connect with his players. Ron did too. The difference I see between Rhule and Ron is that Rhule seems willing to learn from his mistakes, accept them, and learn from them where Ron and Hurney would double down on their mistakes with bandaid approaches instead of being willing to say, "Well, damn... we fuged up. How do we actually FIX that instead of doing our best to put lipstick in this pig?"

A big difference with Rivera and Rhule is that they both are likeable coaches but rhule has a set vision of what he wants but can adjust as need be. Ron has a plan but cant adjust or just thinks his plan is set therefore when things change his plan doesn't work with that change. 

• Pie 1

Rhule to me was compete unknown. I had huge questions and reverse about him. Baylor/Temple are not powerhouses and many his hires came form there. He suuuure did answer many questions and concerns for his first season. Super impressed, dont care about the 5-11 record. Team played hard and was in all games minus 6 quarters. With far less talent and less coaching experience, big props for me. Just cut out the pointless lying, please....  

Err what "large portion" of the fanbase are they talking about lol. The main thing was a giant ? from the large portion not being upset or w/e. Also a large derpy part of the fanbase thought Rivera was a good coach so those people were upset that he got fired not much about Rhule though.

I personally didn't say much about Rhule on here b/c I was in the ? department...didn't know enough to comment.

11 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Just let him get as many players in the draft and UDFA each season as possible and let him build.

What he wants to build here doesn't come in a bottle and you can't buy it. So let's quit talking about doing that. Let the man do his work.

"Coachin' 'em up" doesn't work at certain positions though. You can coach up and hide subpar talent within the scheme at certain spots, but QB isn't one of them.

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

"Coachin' 'em up" doesn't work at certain positions though. You can coach up and hide subpar talent within the scheme at certain spots, but QB isn't one of them.

I think you can and have to coach up QBs. Good coaching is refining skills to get the best performance out  of an athlete in an effort to reach their maximum potential. Game planning, on the other hand, is used at all times to hide weaknesses on your side and exploit the other's.

The right coach can certainly take an unfinished product QB, bring him into the NFL and forge out a great player. You can see it in action right now in KC, Buffalo and Cleveland. Even Mahomes had to sit behind Alex Smith for a year -- and Mahomes has been very open about how much Smith, Reid and Bienemy elevated his abilities. 

Where there is some major truth in your statement is just how hard it is to do that with a QB in the NFL today and not many coaches either can do it or have the luxury to do it. Rivera really couldn't do it, Gruden couldn't do it, the other Gruden couldn't do it, so many coaches have died on the vine because they couldn't provide the fine tuning and refinement that a college prospect may need.  

23 hours ago, davos said:

What I appreciate is that he wants real football. Not just a solid player on one end to fill a back of roster or on the opposite end, some all talent that's not really in it.  He wants focused football from his players centered on constant improvement. It sounds cheesy when you type it out but when it's executed correctly, that's how you create a damn good team.

I'm lean towards being all in on Rhule.  He's got the right genes to coach in the NFL and do it very well.  We're on a good path.

I had the perception he was going to be this over-positive preachy type but he's a f*cking ball breaker.

we avoid plagues like Devin Funchess and Kelvin Benjamin with a guy like rhule.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, Khyber53 said:

Just let him get as many players in the draft and UDFA each season as possible and let him build.

What he wants to build here doesn't come in a bottle and you can't buy it. So let's quit talking about doing that. Let the man do his work.

Agreed.  We have seen that he craves "football players" a lot more than "athletes".

And while you have to have both, you better have guys on that team who love the game and will hold others accountable.  Thomas Davis and Luke come to mind.

It's one of the reasons I have warned a lot of you to be on the lookout for Mac Jones in a Panthers uni.

• Pie 1