• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most Disappointing Moves of the 2020 Offseason

AceBoogie

11 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

All three 'stud' WRs had the best years of their careers under Bridgewater.

Like I said - the stats don't match up to the hate the guy receives. But it is what it is - it's not a hill I'm going to die on. 

I think for most people it was watching him fold in the clutch 8 times when he had the chance to lead us to victory at the end of games. Or, throwing 3 yards past the line of scrimmage on 4th and 8. Or missing a wide open DJ for the win on a pass you or I could have completed and then basically blaming the coaching staff. That sort of stuff.

• Beer 1

I still probably prefer to let Cam play it out and prove he was done here, but even after he's let go (right move in the long run), you toss PJ/Grier to the wolves instead. 

People talk about the Washington win, but signing Teddy is what actually set this rebuild back from the jump. BEST case scenario was 6-7 wins. We honestly overachieved last year compared to what most of us thought we would be. We half-assed a rebuild, and now we're faced with the decision of further hampering ourselves picks wise to make a move for a QB...that we hope is the answer.  Watson hurts our chances to fill out a team, but solves the QB situation for a decade. We trade picks to go after a rookie, and hope he's the guy but it's uncertain.  Picking #2 or 3 right now, or having that trade chip, alleviates a lot of issues.  Instead, Teddy piloted the ship to mediocre purgatory. 

Hindsight makes being a GM so much easier.  Had we kept Cam and not signed Bridgewater, and Cam played like he did this year (Bridgewater, statistically, outplayed Cam) we'd be in bad shape.  The way I recall this, Cam wanted a new deal (commitment).  So it is more complicated.

Ace has often pooed me for saying anything critical or negative about Cam.  Just to clear the air, I think Cam was great for this franchise and I think he was horribly abused by Rivera  and Hurney.  I was saying it in 2011 and I was called a racist--far from it.  Cam should be in the top 5 QBs in the league right NOW wearing black and blue---but they did not protect him, the ran him too much---to save their jobs. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I can't remember how many times so many of us said we should have just fuging kept Cam. He had one fuging year left on a CHEAPER DEAL. 

It was dumb then and it looks way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay dumber now.

Because Cam owned the locker room, even if he couldn't play anymore. A new coach can't come in and have a player running the place. Even on a good team like the Packers, a diva can create massive resistance. On a losing team, like we were/are that rift is massive.

Cam had to go, much like Smitty had to go to give Cam the leadership mantle.  

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Signing Teddy was the wrong move.

Moving on from Cam was not.

Don't forget Cam wanted a contract extension, and I think that played a roll in him being shown the door.

It made sense to let Cam play out his final season, cutting him was always the wrong move, but extending him was also the wrong move.

• Pie 1

I didn't mind signing Teddy. What I did mind is the amount that we gave him! I was surprised that we gave him that much and a three-year contract. That's not a prove-it deal in my estimation. 

Two-year, 30 mil deal-- maybe 12 mil guaranteed the first year with 10 guaranteed the second with an option to extend, was what I was thinking. And, if he didn't take it, we'd have rolled the dice with someone else.

They must have really wanted him (probably due to Brady). They got him! Now they have to deal with him.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I didn't mind signing Teddy. What I did mind is the amount that we gave him! I was surprised that we gave him that much and a three-year contract. That's not a prove-it deal in my estimation. 

Two-year, 30 mil deal-- maybe 12 mil guaranteed the first year with 10 guaranteed the second with an option to extend, was what I was thinking. And, if he didn't take it, we'd have rolled the dice with someone else.

They must have really wanted him (probably due to Brady). They got him! Now they have to deal with him.

I think this pretty much sums up what most of the frustration is. If he was getting paid near back up money it'd be fine, but one last Hurney move for the road eh?

Just now, Madwolf said:

I think this pretty much sums up what most of the frustration is. If he was getting paid near back up money it'd be fine, but one last Hurney move for the road eh?

The money, and perhaps less so the length, made it a dumb deal! It wasn't as dumb as Jake's contract, but it was eyebrow-raising.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Hindsight makes being a GM so much easier.  Had we kept Cam and not signed Bridgewater, and Cam played like he did this year (Bridgewater, statistically, outplayed Cam) we'd be in bad shape.  The way I recall this, Cam wanted a new deal (commitment).  So it is more complicated.

Ace has often pooed me for saying anything critical or negative about Cam.  Just to clear the air, I think Cam was great for this franchise and I think he was horribly abused by Rivera  and Hurney.  I was saying it in 2011 and I was called a racist--far from it.  Cam should be in the top 5 QBs in the league right NOW wearing black and blue---but they did not protect him, the ran him too much---to save their jobs. 

Eh he didn’t outplay Cam. Cam accounted for more TDs in less games even with catching Covid and Byrd as his #1 WR. Had he had DJ, Robby, and Curtis Samuel, numbers would have even been close. 

• Pie 1

Should have just let Cam play out his contract. He looked bad on a team with the worst roster in the NFL (at least definitely offensively) but he probably would have been better here. Better than Teddy at the very least but that is a comically low bar.  Doesn’t matter if he wanted a new deal, I guarantee he wouldn’t hold out or be disruptive over it, that’s never been who he’s shown himself to be. And even if moving on from him was unavoidable (it wasn’t) then signing Bridgewater (who MANY of us said was a terrible move from the start) made the situation even worse.