• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watched film of all the top QBs: Zach Wilson screams Mitch Trubisky but Trey Lance has some Mahomes vibes

hepcat

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I could be wrong, but I think that Lance is naturally a better passer and has more arm talent than Cam. And, just as important, I think he is probably a better decision maker.

I get that. I hope you're right and we pick him. I just think with the lack of top-flight competition and lack of film this year that a lot of folks here are hoping for Cam 2.0 or Mahomes 2.0. I get it...we all want that to be the case if we pick him. There are others who think Wilson is Russell Wilson 2.0 or Fields is a Cam/Lamar hybrid. A couple think Jones is Brady 2.0. Everybody wants these things to be true because we have at least a chance to have one of these guys.

In the end, all we can do is hope our guys are really good at their jobs and pick really good players. They did well last time, so I'm hoping that wasn't a fluke. If they pick Lance and he turns out to be great, I'll be happy. If he is a dud, I'll be disappointed, but I just hope they will figure out why they were wrong about him and not make the same mistake next time. I don't have an attachment to any of the prospects. I have opinions, some will no doubt be wrong and some may be right, but I'm happy to be wrong if it means the Panthers get a franchise QB.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think we've got some folks on here who are so desperate to have Newton back that they'll latch onto any decently athletic quarterback and project Cam's image onto him. "Oh, he can run? It's like Cam all over again." Heck, I even had somebody try and tell me the style of offense we use needs a running quarterback (not even remotely true).

Honestly, I'm not sure people remember or understand just how much of an athletic marvel Newton really was. That size-speed combination is not exactly a common thing, and definitely not among quarterbacks.

Folks need to realize we're not getting Cam Newton back. Hell, the next QB we get might have a style of play completely dissimilar to Newton.

Sounds like you’re trying to prepare everyone for when the Panthers draft Mac Jones.

I am definitely not saying Lance is like Newton. Far from it. He’s no where near as big or as powerful, or even as good of a QB as Newton was when he came out of college. What Lance does have is a good set of physical tools that could translate into being a very good QB, maybe the best in the 2021 NFL draft class. And yes I’m including Lawrence in that. No guarantees Trevor turns into a superstar either, especially on the Jaguars. Lance just reminded me of the physical tools Mahomes had coming out of college. Great arm, great mobility, and the ability to find guys down field after scrambling around to avoid pressure. 

My second choice behind Lawrence would be Fields, but I just don’t see that happening. Fields will almost certainly go #2 or #3 overall. If Lance is there at 8, I think the Panthers have to draft him. He could sit for half or a full season on the Panthers behind Bridgewater. And now with Sean Ryan in the fold, who had a hand in developing Deshaun Watson, I think it’s definitely a good spot for him. Could be a lot worse. 

Would be very hard for me to get excited about Mac Jones at 8. If they traded back, I’d be cool with Jones in the 20s with some added picks to beef up the O-Line. Because with a guy like Jones, you’re gonna need a better O-Line than what the Panthers had last season. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I've never seen Mitch Trubisky flick a ball 60 yards down the field and hitting someone in stride. I don't know what highlight you saw... Wilson is not Trubisky at all. 

A good chunk of Wilson’s “highlight” throws downfield I watched would have been INTs at the NFL level. Similar to what we’ve seen from Trubisky at the NFL level. Maybe it comes from lesser talent around him. He’s got a good arm for sure. But many QBs that came before him that flamed out of the league did too. I saw Wilson seem jittery in the pocket and make some throws that would get him in trouble in the NFL.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

Sounds like you’re trying to prepare everyone for when the Panthers draft Mac Jones.

I have no more idea who the Panthers are going to draft than anyone else here.

(hell, right now even the Panthers themselves don't know)

I do take the possibility of drafting Mac Jones seriously though.

Edited by Mr. Scot

At the end of the day it's a crap shoot. Trevor Lawrence could be a bust in the NFL. In my opinion he didn't look that impressive in the championship game. But he's had a spectacular college career. From a fan perspective we don't know. I just hope Fitterer, Rhule, and company can pick the QB that can win a superbowl for the Carolina Panthers.