• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler of the Athletic Mock: Panthers trade up to 3 for Fields

Captain Morgan

4 minutes ago, stirs said:

No way I would trade up for a QB in this draft.  Lawrence is about the only one that is pretty much got it all.

The rest have a lot of "ifs" about them.  No way you mortgage it all for what it would take to get someone who has the potential to bust.

I think the QB talk is just that.  Lance should be there at 8, maybe even Fields

Yep

This is a Steal.

For those complaining that this is too much.

You may as well quit watching football because you're going to be very disappointed.

The value and hunger for a Top QB in this league is Very High.  And the amount of teams wanting to move up for a QB mae it even higher.

He11, Matt Stafford just went for 2 1sts and a starting QB who's been to a superbowl.

I've seen Dolphins writers say they would want 8, 40, and next years 1st just to begin the talks. 

And if we dont get one this year.  Your going to be REALLY sticker shocked when we have to move from 12 to inside the top 5.

• Flames 1

NY and Miami are the wildcards. I don't see many scenarios in which one or both of the two teams doesn't trade back with a team in need of a QB.

The only way they wouldn't trade back is if, say, one of them completes a trade with Houston for Deshaun, figures Darnold (or Miami sticks with Tag) is worth a shot at QB and then decides to draft Sewell or Slater to help with protection. 

There is simply no scenario in which Fields or Wilson fall beyond pick #4 otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

NY and Miami are the wildcards. I don't see many scenarios in which one or both of the two teams doesn't trade back with a team in need of a QB.

The only way they wouldn't trade back is if, say, one of them completes a trade with Houston for Deshaun, figures Darnold (or Miami sticks with Tag) is worth a shot at QB and then decides to draft Sewell or Slater to help with protection. 

There is simply no scenario in which Fields or Wilson fall beyond pick #4 otherwise.

Somebody falls.  These always do. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That haul would sting. If he turned out to be a franchise QB it'd be worth it. If he didn't, Rhule and Fitts probably dug their own grave.

If it happens, I hope all the "just win baby" folks look back in pleasure over celebrating that key late season victory over Rivera and the WFT.

Bro don't you know you're supposed to be over that WTF win. It's not like the ramifications last long or anything. 

I want a QB but that's too much given up in this years draft as we still need other players so that 3rd would need to be moved to a different year IMO. 

Edited by Fox007

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I can easy argue other wins, but.i don't think it matters to you or anyone else that think like you do. 

Its simple, win until out of the youre mathematically out of the playoffs. Once youre out, smart move is too improve your draft resources. Start next year right then- Rotate/play young players, experiment with play calls. etc. If youd rarther win late season games to feel good, then your reward is draft 16th in each round.

All the rah rah win crowd, never answered this question, maybe you will. Heading in the last week, with lots of luck the Panthers could still draft 3rd if they lost. If they won, 15th. Say it was happening, you'd honestly rather win a meaningless week 17 matchup to draft 15th in each round? Or lose a game everyone will forget by next year for the 3rd pick in each round? You see the value of that pick- its worth future 1s,2s, players, and more mid-rounders. Nah, F that lets win for team that 40% of the players will not be here next year. 

28 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Its simple, win until out of the youre mathematically out of the playoffs. Once youre out, smart move is too improve your draft resources. Start next year right then- Rotate/play young players, experiment with play calls. etc. If youd rarther win late season games to feel good, then your reward is draft 16th in each round.

All the rah rah win crowd, never answered this question, maybe you will. Heading in the last week, with lots of luck the Panthers could still draft 3rd if they lost. If they won, 15th. Say it was happening, you'd honestly rather win a meaningless week 17 matchup to draft 15th in each round? Or lose a game everyone will forget by next year for the 3rd pick in each round? You see the value of that pick- its worth future 1s,2s, players, and more mid-rounders. Nah, F that lets win for team that 40% of the players will not be here next year. 

The " win every game no matter what" crowd isn't interested in logic. There's rarely logic in claiming moral high ground in sports fandom.

1 hour ago, stirs said:

No way I would trade up for a QB in this draft.  Lawrence is about the only one that is pretty much got it all.

That's pretty much me, and I'm not even as big a fan of Lawrence as most are.

All three of the "runner up," quarterbacks have too many questions for me to be comfortable with a deal like this.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The " win every game no matter what" crowd isn't interested in logic. There's rarely logic in claiming moral high ground in sports fandom.

Coaches and players get paid to win. Fans and players on the team don’t want to watch the coaches start benching players and “experimenting” to get a better draft pick. It’s a quick way to lose a locker room. These NFL players are some of the most competitive people on Earth. It’s how they got to be as good as they are. We just watched the Eagles coach try benching players and he is now terminated because he lost the locker room. We pay our GM and Scouts to find players and not be served a top 10 pick whenever possible. There are countless examples of top tier QBs and other draft picks not being picked in the top 10 (Dak, Russ, Mahomes, Watson, Brady, Brees, Jackson, Rodgers etc...) and many top 10 QBs not work out (Mitch, Darnold, Goff, Jones maybe... all pretty recent). They will and should play every game to win and figure out draft moves after the season.