• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The question of Curtis. Tim Weaver wants to keep him.

top dawg

Yes, we all want to keep Curtis Samuel, but some of us are willing to pay him! Apparently, that includes Tim Weaver of USA Today's Panthers Wire.

He includes Samuel's catch rate of nearly 80 percent among those with 77 or more catches. He also includes this PFF tweet as more evidence:

I mean, some say Samuel is a luxury that we either can't or won't be able to afford. Some have suggested that we're holding him back. I don't know. It certainly seems like Rhule (via Brady) has been more adept at putting Samuel into situations to succeed, and, honestly, Samuel has done his thing very notably. Moreover, Rhule covets versatility, and Samuel is legitimately versatile. And, like Weaver said in so many words, Samuel hasn't nearly reached his ceiling. Some might be understating his value a bit. 

With all of these rumors floating around about CMC, do we really want to let Samuel get away without much of a fight? He's obviously more special than many were giving him credit for last offseason. And, he may not be able to be as easily replaced as some have intimated due to his versatility.

Weaver thinks we should make a way, especially with our new found cap space.

"After releasing Kawann Short yesterday, the Panthers have around $20 million in salary cap room for the year. Hopefully a chunk of that is reserved for a Curtis Samuel extension."

I'm somewhat on the fence, but I'm willing to dig a little deeper into the pockets as long as he doesn't bust the bank. Sure would be nice to have him for another two or three years to see what he can really become...

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/17/panthers-curtis-samuel-forced-missed-tackles-leader/

• Pie 7

Man we are really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for an oline...if that’s the case who cares who the qb is?

Even with one of the quickest releases in the NFL TB got hurt and his oline ranked below average.

Now throw money at Samuel? And what about DJ and Anderson coming up? Plus all the money in CMC...

This just sounds bad for once in the past decade the Panthers need to throw quality money at some oline talent. Notice I said quality.

21 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

No, it sounds like there are only 2 of you.

I don't know if Moore is that much better than Samuel. I think Moore may have higher upside, maybe, but I'm not sure. Moore may be the more natural hands-cather, which may be a fairly big deal for a receiver. But he's left some on the turf also. But, then again, Samuel has seemed to improve more than Moore relatively. And that's a fairly big deal considering that Curtis was basically an RB coming out of college. YAC is a specialty of Moore, but Samuel is no slouch. Moore is likely stronger and able to win those 50/50 balls better. Samuel is probably the better route runner and likely has more juke than Moore. 

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not as clear-cut as people make it out to be. Samuel has arguably overperfomed expectations based upon limited snaps--he's certainly made the biggest leap--while Moore has been pretty much the same. 

• Pie 2

Contracts in year 1 can be cheap if the salary is the signing bonus which is prorated. If we can sign Samuel to a 4 year 40 million contract with a 15 million signing bonus we could pay as little as 6 or 7 million in 2021.  I figure he would be well worth that. By year 3 there would be no guarantee money and dead cap money wouldn't be bad. 

• Pie 2