• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade for Sam Darnold

Memphis

Panthers acquired QB Sam Darnold from the Panthers in exchange for three draft picks. 

The Panthers are sending a 2021 sixth-rounder New York's way before getting more serious in 2022, where they will be shipping off their second- and fourth-rounders. It's not much of a haul — future picks are inherently less valuable — but it's a lot better than nothing, with the second-rounder at least representing real draft capital. Darnold is an uninspired Teddy Bridgewater back-up plan after the Panthers put all their eggs in the Deshaun Watson basket, but they can convince themselves 24-year-old (in June) Darnold still has untapped upside. Picking eighth later this month, the move doesn't necessarily take the Panthers out of the running for a rookie signal caller, though they already know the top three quarterbacks will come off the board in the top three picks. Darnold arrives to challenge or usurp Bridgewater after a horrendous 2020 where he had more picks than passing scores. It's tough to properly evaluate Darnold considering the lack of offensive talent and coaching acumen around him in New York, but most players with a bright future would have already displayed some semblance of the ability to create instant offense by now. That being said, Panthers OC Joe Brady is on the short list of people you would want to try to turn Darnold around

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, MVPccaffrey said:

Don't make a mistake, Jets fans are dancing like it's V-day 1945 right now at the thought they were able to get off Darnold for a SECOND ROUND PICK.  Tepper just got snookered by one of the worst franchises in American sports

Jets fans are dancing...because they lost a Top 5 pick for a 6th round pick in 2021 and a 2nd in 2022; a team that has shown it can't draft and retain talent for anything?

They basically gave away their 24 year old QB for peanuts while having a Rookie HC and still no decent offensive coaching staff to speak of. 

Odds are they make the wrong draft choice in 2021 while the Panthers see Brady turn Darnold into what he was projected to be coming out of the draft. 

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, joemac said:

Holy poo - it happened.  Well at least hes not Teddy B.  And to everybody shitting on him, go actually watch his tape.  Dude has got arm talent for DAYS.  Im going to go out on a limb and predict that he is going to absolutely thrive in our system, with our weapons and with Joe Brady calling the plays (for 1 more year at least.)

I hope he does. 

It's certainly not inconceivable like many here are acting. 

• Pie 4

10 minutes ago, Cold Cat said:

I dont hate this at all. 

Agreed. Much better than 3-yard Bridgewater IMO. Plus, we still get to keep our 1st rounders & he’s already familiar with Robby Anderson so this works well for me!

Imagine what Darnold can do with decent pass protection (Jets gave him nada), two 1000 yard receivers, a pro bowl RB & a starter material rookie (TE Pitts or OL Sewell). I like 👍 

Edited by MountaineerChemist10
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

that normally doesnt come out after until hours after the trade. I would say lets give it an hour or so first.

The Panthers have made an official announcement that doesn't give any indication the picks are conditional.

• Pie 1

OK, you Trevor Lawrence on a budget shoppers--Darnold is NOT the answer-he is a cheap and smart project.  You take him, work on his mechanics for a year.  If he progresses, you have a 24-25 year old QB and you lock him into a long-term deal.  If you don't, you cut him loose.

Now, do not be surprised to see Mond or Mills or even Trask drafted by the Panthers--I know "They suck!"

But you are building and addressing the position.

ANSWER THIS:  How many of your dream QBs would have succeeded in NY?  I am going to wait over here---OK I am back--give me the names.

Now to trade Teddy and get a pick back.

We will probably trade #8 back--some team will want a player there

I hope we grab Mills and start building around the QB spot to see what we found in the dumpster.  He could have used another year, and if he came out in 2022 we might be talking about him.

• Pie 2