• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Passing on a star for more draft capital

unicar15

I think that the trade down talk is mostly just smoke to try and open all possible options for Fitterer at #8. However, if Fields or Lance are there and a bidding war ensues from teams like Pats, Broncos, WFT it could prove difficult to say no.

That said...I think Chase is probably the best player in the draft after Lawrence. If for some reason Chase and Fields (potentially QB of the future) are there at #8 do you think we still trade down?

To me that would mean the draft result somewhat like this..

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Lance 

5. Sewell

6. Pitts (Mia has weapons at WR already..Pitts fills a need at TE as well)

7. Slater (Lions also heavily rumored to be interested in best defender so could be Parsons or Surtain as well). 

8. Chase - It’d be shocking to have a player like him fall this far. But not completely unrealistic. 

So...do you trade out knowing teams may want to trade up for Fields (ahead of Denver). Do you take Fields and let him sit? Do you take Chase knowing he looks like a future All-Pro? 

Edited by unicar15
  • Pie 1

You take Fields and let him compete. Honestly if there are 5-6 prospects our staff values high when we are up, then you look at trading down a few spots. We addressed a lot of needs (LT and QB are still shaky at best) in order to draft BPA/trade back if needed.

• Pie 4

We have made our QB decision for better or worse.

We are wide open for about anything now.  The number 1 receiver in the draft will not fall to 8, if he does, you take him.  Otherwise, trade down, at least 3-5 spots, is a very viable option.  Even down to 19 with the Redskins is not a horrible idea

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

24 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I think that the trade down talk is mostly just smoke to try and open all possible options for Fitterer at #8. However, if Fields or Lance are there and a bidding war ensues from teams like Pats, Broncos, WFT it could prove difficult to say no.

That said...I think Chase is probably the best player in the draft after Lawrence. If for some reason Chase and Fields (potentially QB of the future) are there at #8 do you think we still trade down?

To me that would mean the draft result somewhat like this..

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Jones

4. Lance 

5. Sewell

6. Pitts (Mia has weapons at WR already..Pitts fills a need at TE as well)

7. Slater (Lions also heavily rumored to be interested in best defender so could be Parsons or Surtain as well). 

8. Chase - It’d be shocking to have a player like him fall this far. But not completely unrealistic. 

So...do you trade out knowing teams may want to trade up for Fields (ahead of Denver). Do you take Fields and let him sit? Do you take Chase knowing he looks like a future All-Pro? 

For now I’m expecting the Bengals to take Chase @ 5 but if they don’t he won’t make it past Detroit @ 7. Their cupboard is bare @ WR.

2 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

For now I’m expecting the Bengals to take Chase @ 5 but if they don’t he won’t make it past Detroit @ 7. Their cupboard is bare @ WR.

OK, well if that happens then Pitts should still be there for us to take.  Regardless, if we stay pat at 8, and there is a run on QBs like we all know there is going to be - one of the top non-QB players is going to be sitting there for us to grab.  I hope we do.

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, stirs said:

We have made our QB decision for better or worse.

We are wide open for about anything now.  The number 1 receiver in the draft will not fall to 8, if he does, you take him.  Otherwise, trade down, at least 3-5 spots, is a very viable option.  Even down to 19 with the Redskins is not a horrible idea

I'm not sure Darnold is anything more than our "QB decision for right now". We haven't even officially picked up his fifth year option yet. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, joemac said:

OK, well if that happens then Pitts should still be there for us to take.  Regardless, if we stay pat at 8, and there is a run on QBs like we all know there is going to be - one of the top non-QB players is going to be sitting there for us to grab.  I hope we do.

Not sure if Pitts makes it past the Falcons or Dolphins but we should run the card up if he’s there. Anything can happen on draft day.

• Beer 1

Seattle may have a lot of picks the last few years but their drafts have not been something to emulate. Fnding value late at the cost of better talent early is a bad approach to the draft and their team is only held together at this point by a QB they picked in 2012.

Just take a QB or LT if they are available and if not then talk trade back. Years of garbage LT play and another year likely if we don't pick up one early  QB is still a position of need for this team at this time, just as it was last year.

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Seattle may have a lot of picks the last few years but their drafts have not been something to emulate. Fnding value late at the cost of better talent early is a bad approach to the draft and their team is only held together at this point by a QB they picked in 2012.

Just take a QB or LT if they are available and if not then talk trade back. Years of garbage LT play and another year likely if we don't pick up one early  QB is still a position of need for this team at this time, just as it was last year.

This is certainly worth noting. The Seahawks knocked it out of the park drafting early in Carroll's career but they've been pretty trash at drafting for awhile now.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1