• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LTs & arm length (basically: This draft's OTs are great but...)

saX man

This year's offensive line class is really good.  Really damn good.  I think 5 first rounders.  9-11 in the top-50.

But what I can't get past is that it's rather undersized; even the top talents. Fit mentioned how important size is and gotta say, I do wonder how it's swayed our opinions on some of these guys.

Notable League-starter LTs:

Wirfs: 34"

Bahktiari: 34"

Trent W: 34.5"

Duane Brown: 34.25"

Whitworth: 35"

Dion Dawkins: 35"

Hell, Moton: 34.13"

Draft Prospects:

There are 3 total LT prospects even over the typical 34" threshold: Darrisaw (34.5"), Leatherwood (34.4), & Spencer Brown (34).  Darrisaw is the one true LT prospect IMO.

Notable shortees:

Penei Sewell: 33.25"

Rashawn Slater: 33.00"

Teven Jenkins: 32.88"

Jalen Mayfield: 32.63"

Liam Eichenberg: 32.35"

Samuel Cosmi: 33.00"

Dillon Radunz: 33.28"

--

I'm not intending to throw shade as all 7 of my shortlist are really awesome talents and there are no doubt exceptions to the rule like Jason Peters. However, given what we've heard, I'm curious to who we like the most.  Wonder if Darrisaw (who draws Okung comparisons) is viewed highly and could be a trade down target. 

I don't believe arms length to be make or break but a lot of teams deem it critical on the LT criteria list. This draft has GREAT OL talent, and we better capitalize, but IMO, last year's was superb and this years is slightly behind.

Whatsayyou? How important is arm length?  Does it warrant pause even if they look like absolute brick walls on tape? I mean, in Slater's case, this is even in the face of Chase Young last year, really controlled the dude. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, saX man said:

This year's offensive line class is really good.  Really damn good.  I think 5 first rounders.  9-11 in the top-50.

But what I can't get past is that it's rather undersized; even the top talents. Fit mentioned how important size is and gotta say, I do wonder how it's swayed our opinions on some of these guys.

Draft Prospects:

There are 3 total LT prospects even over the typical 34" threshold: Darrisaw (34.5"), Leatherwood (34.4), & Spencer Brown (34).  Darrisaw is the one true LT prospect IMO.

Notable shortees:

--

I'm not intending to throw shade as all 7 of my shortlist are really awesome talents and there are no doubt exceptions to the rule like Jason Peters. However, given what we've heard, I'm curious to who we like the most.  Wonder if Darrisaw (who draws Okung comparisons) is viewed highly and could be a trade down target. 

I don't believe arms length to be make or break but a lot of teams deem it critical on the LT criteria list. This draft has GREAT OL talent, and we better capitalize, but IMO, last year's was superb and this years is slightly behind.

Whatsayyou? How important is arm length?  Does it warrant pause even if they look like absolute brick walls on tape? I mean, in Slater's case, this is even in the face of Chase Young last year, really controlled the dude. 

Braveheart GIF

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

It is great for a tackle to have long arms, but it doesn’t mean you can’t be a great tackle with “just” 33 arms.

The best LT in the last decade, Joe Thomas, has 33 arms, and so does Joe Staley (good comp for Slater imo).

But great feet + long arms is ideal. But I think both Sewell and Slater will be great LTs.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Honestly I read that it had to do with leverage particularly with outside speed rushers 

Nfl has stats on perfection for every position

Sure. It's better to have longer arms. If an edge rusher has longer arms than the OT he can better keep them from engaging him, but none of that comes in into play unless the OT has the feet to stay with him to begin with. It's kinda like how yeah, ideally you'd have a WR who was 6'2"+ and 210+ but would you pass up a Smitty because he didn't check those boxes? Some teams would. Those teams are dumb IMO. Prototypes exist for a reason, but you gotta evaluate each individual prospect IMO. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, saX man said:

Draft Prospects:

Notable shortees:

--

Jordan Gross 33.25”

• Pie 6