Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Sam Darnold HAS to be excited.


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Sam Darnold is the luckiest QB in the league. The kid got a mulligan! For all practical purposes, this is his essentially his rookie year all over again. Sure, it will be a shorter window to succeed, and it probably should be because he does have some pro experience, but he'll get two years to turn his fortunes around as opposed to one that I've seen suggested here. It just makes sense. Short of Deshaun Watson, Sammy's going to get a legit shot. Mark my words!

He certainly has to give the team a reason not to bring in Watson.  My thinking is that decision will be right around the time the Watson fiasco comes to an end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

The oline still needs an infusion of talent and that shouldn’t be forgotten. Tremble will help and I’m optimistic that the BYU tackle can find a place and be competent as well as Brady scheming advantageous situations. I like what we have done this draft but I’m hoping for more oline talent in the coming years. 

That BYU tackle is sneaky good too. He might not start right away but he has the film to prove he's a good Tackle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Also I really thought finding a RT to replace moton so we wouldn’t have to pay big bucks to him and instead use that money to possibly find an established vet LT next year would’ve been wise. But it is what it is. I’m hopefully with this staff and FO. 

Huh? Why get rid of Moton to “hope” a rookie can replace him and pay through the nose for a LT? If you are getting a LT as good as Moton is, you aren’t saving any money. Don’t throw away the bird in hand that you know is good. Bradford doesn’t cost much and we have a lot of young players. We can pay Moton. Had we not wasted so much money on Teddy, Okung, Short et al, we’d have Moton wrapped up and still had the same amount of cap space.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm just saying that when the dust settles, whenever that is, the FO is going hard after him.  Unless of course he is guilty as charged. 

Yep, cuz we do have Darnold for 2 years. Which if he plays really well, could keep him or use him to trade for Watson. They have to be thinking if Darnold plays even adequately, he would be a better bargaining piece than Bridgewater was. I hope Darnold balls out and we keep him, just so we don’t have to lose all that draft capital. Because this regime is MASTERFUL with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stbugs said:

Huh? Why get rid of Moton to “hope” a rookie can replace him and pay through the nose for a LT? If you are getting a LT as good as Moton is, you aren’t saving any money. Don’t throw away the bird in hand that you know is good. Bradford doesn’t cost much and we have a lot of young players. We can pay Moton. Had we not wasted so much money on Teddy, Okung, Short et al, we’d have Moton wrapped up and still had the same amount of cap space.

Not arguing the last sentence I agree but that’s not the situation we are in. I thought about it as a way to get a franchise LT quickly next year with cap flexibility while having a second year RT groomed. We’d have this year to evaluate the RT draft pick and make a decision on Moton. It’s not an outrageous take. I don’t think the BYU guy is gonna be the answer at LT. We are limited in our options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mbarbour21 said:

Yep, cuz we do have Darnold for 2 years. Which if he plays really well, could keep him or use him to trade for Watson. They have to be thinking if Darnold plays even adequately, he would be a better bargaining piece than Bridgewater was. I hope Darnold balls out and we keep him, just so we don’t have to lose all that draft capital. Because this regime is MASTERFUL with it. 

Darnold has a chance to show Tepper his boner for Watson is premature. 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

I wouldn’t look too much into that stuff. At the end of the day... it’s your opinion and that’s all that should matter. People are always gonna hate, it’s too easy to do over social media. I think Cam was the best player in the league for many years. The falloff hurt... and it was too evident. I will forever remember Cam 2011-2015.

Related...

 

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

To an extent they did, especially the first year with the pair of TEs we had. But it took them years into his tenure to draft a WR in the first three rounds, and the OL was a huge problem and they never seemed to commit to fixing it the way they would positions on the defense.

This is pretty much it. When it comes right down to it...race played a huge role. 

In the world of sports, the black athlete is superior. Lets just get that out there. In most cases and across all sports.  When teams have what they term a "mobile" QB...guess what race he is? This "mobility/athleticism/durability in a QB of a certain skin tone seemingly is a reason to neglect other offensive positions. 

Hey, we got a young athletic QB that can run and make plays....why do we need OL help when he can run?

Suddenly inject a small white QB that isn't so fast, cant take hits. THEN the tools to succeed start to appear.

  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

This is pretty much it. When it comes right down to it...race played a huge role. 

In the world of sports, the black athlete is superior. Lets just get that out there. In most cases and across all sports.  When teams have what they term a "mobile" QB...guess what race he is? This "mobility/athleticism/durability in a QB of a certain skin tone seemingly is a reason to neglect other offensive positions. 

Hey, we got a young athletic QB that can run and make plays....why do we need OL help when he can run?

Suddenly inject a small white QB that isn't so fast, cant take hits. THEN the tools to succeed start to appear.

Although I think racism plays a big role in the labeling of black and white QBs, I think building around Darnold isn't about race but about the organization having different priorities from its current vs past management. It's hard for me to say the organization didn't put Teddy in a position to succeed for instance, but Cam rarely was until the damage was done unfortunately and we had basically ruined a potential HoF level talent...

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mav1234 said:

To an extent they did, especially the first year with the pair of TEs we had. But it took them years into his tenure to draft a WR in the first three rounds, and the OL was a huge problem and they never seemed to commit to fixing it the way they would positions on the defense.

For Cam's first three years, he actually had a decent offensive line.  Not great but ok.  And the wide receivers, well they had Smith and signed Ginn in 2013.  The team had a lot of holes to fill when Cam got here.  So they had to make a lot of choices, and while the defensive picks were good, the offensive picks not so much. 

We spent a second on Silatolu, a first on Kelvin Benjamin, a second on Funchess.  We also signed Oher, who was good until his injury.  And Ted Ginn of course, who gave the offense some firepower.  IMO, both Hurney and Gettleman both tried to pick players that would help the offense, but they generally sucked at it (except for running backs).   Gettleman seems to have continued his lack of offensive success at NY.  

 

I guess we could look back at the 2013 draft and say that Gettleman should have focused more on the line, but had he done so, the defense if we hadn't picked Star and Short, our defense would have been pretty bad, so I am not sure it would mattered in the long run.  

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...