• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

seems like there's a lot of optimism.....

My optimism starts after the 2022 draft, til then "fug this timeline".

Its not my role to poop on those who are talking playoffs and such, Ive been hurt too much to follow that thinking. Have another 2021/2020 draft in 2022 AND Darnold is a legit NFL QB, divsion should be perfect ripe for the pickens. Just need to have one more year of growing.....

Edited by Basbear

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Yep, I agree.  I'm just hoping that Sam doesn't fall in some sort of middle ground.  Be great or be Pickles.

That’s what I’m afraid of too. However, Teddy had mediocre down to a science and the staff didn’t waste any time shuffling him out of here. 

My optimism was cemented when I heard Coach Rhule explain why we went with Horn at #8. “ Last year we couldn’t get the defense off the field.  “.

The best way to fix something is to know what is wrong.  Add an impressive draft to the stars we have and impossible not to see this team trending up. 

• Pie 4

Yea no JR and no shitty Hurney....the two main reasons for this teams demise...lots of reason to be happy and that's especially true since the HC looks like he knows what hes doing, the GM looks like he knows what hes doing, and the owner is willing to pay the bill so bring this type of poo on.

• Pie 1

Doesn't seem it would be enjoyable to have a negative outlook about your favorite team prior to OTAs and pre-season. 

Love the changes we've witnessed in the last few weeks and believe they'll result in a more competitive team.  Playoffs are a real possibility. 

Darnold is capable of all QB throws and flashed moments of brilliance as a Jet.  As a Panther he's now surrounded by talented players. What Sam lacks is consistency and the coaching staff believes they can fix that.  We've also signed/drafted O/D linemen and a shutdown corner. 

As Panthers fans, how can we NOT be positive about all that?

Bottom line:  Time will tell, but until then, call me Mary Sunshine!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

I'm an optimistic person by nature. I don't ever count us down and out until that's proven. I'm pulling for Sam to show the confidence and abilities he came into the NFL with, why Fitterer signed him and drafted Horn. What does concern me is the depth at QB with 3 unknowns on the roster (Walker, Grier, Stevens). Defense will be better than average and Special Teams will be good (I've always believed in you, Chase Blackburn!).

Most importantly, they've shut down the Temple/Baylor pipeline and playing Martyball with the cap. That alone is worth some optimism.

There was nothing wrong with the temple Baylor pipeline, we got some good players last season from those schools. SamFranklin, pjwalker, Hassan reddick (this offseason) robby anderson brayvion Roy etc..maybe you're not aware, but they need to keep that pipeline coming.

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

Probably unwarranted, but this is the best I've felt about the team since the superbowl loss.

I love the management and the of coaches. I love that we're in starting over and that we've got a really young and athletic crew. 

I'm excited about this defense and I'm excited to see what this offense with Darnold can do. I'm nervous about it, but more just excited. 

we needed a fresh start all across the board and we've got it.

It took me until Rhule's opening press conference to get over that Super Bowl loss.

I've floudered as a fan, much like this franchise has floundered since that fateful day in 2016. 

We've got a winner in Rhule - the only thing I'm worried about is that he's going to burn himself out. Everything else is trending upwards and we're finally looking / acting like a premier franchise.

• Pie 3

I'm optimistic by nature. I like the coach, even if we really didn't see many wins or great performances last year. I think the Darnold pick up was probably a smart gamble that could pay off well or crater. Cratering, though, would come with some upsides in the next draft and we wouldn't be on the hook for a terrible amount of money for too long.

Honestly, the thing that worries me the most is our defense. They didn't do us many favors last year and we ended up in some shoot outs where the other team never had to send out their punter a single time. I don't think it was personnel that did it so much as our non-aggressive play style in most of the games. There were games where it looked like their mamas had told them not to get their uniforms dirty, yanno?

I'm optimistic that we're getting closer to what the coach wants and has been planning for. I think we'll see a less competitive Saints team, but we're staring down the barrel of Tom Brady and the Falcons have a lot to prove. If we can take the Saints twice and split with the Bucs and Falcons, then I like our chances with the rest of the schedule. 

• Pie 1

Two things: 

Overall this team is headed in the right direction, we seem to finally have a GM who is in tune with modern analytics, and a coach who is by all regards a great people person and values athleticism. We have moved on from Hurney switching d2 players positions and Rivera who thinks it's still 1985. 

This next year however all depends on Darnold and I'm still not convinced he is the one. He has all the talent in the world but his propensity for turnovers is extremely concerning. I'm not sure he is fixable. I would LOVE to be proven wrong. 

• Beer 1

I’m excited about the potential of our young defense. Brown, Roy, YGM anchoring our line with Burns and Reddick rushing the edges! Throw in a Perryman upgrade over Whitehead and a potential CB1 in Horn that lets Jackson cover the 2nd best/slot WR on the other team and our SS Chinn is a beast! Throw in a few high potential players like Nixon or Miller and I think we are going to have a good think going by late season! 

Watch out for the Northwestern boys in Paddy Fisher and Peyton Ramsey. I could see both of them making the roster or at least practice squad for now...

• Pie 2

I believe we have a really promising GM+Coaching combination. 

And team wise, this is maybe the first time where I don't feel the staff is being stubborn with any players.  There's no obvious guys that have outstayed their welcome. They cut the bait when they need too.  The staff seems to know who and what they want, and they don't d*ck around.  And Rhule is only going into year 2 but I feel like he's been here for 3+.  He did a lot with a little last year and I was quite frankly impressed.  He seems to have the HC gene. 

Like every team, we had some duds picked last year (like every team does) BUT they are here no longer (Teddy, Whitehead, Reed, etc.).  The 2020 draft (which was more Rhule than Hurney) is looking amazing and this most recent one is quite strong/similar potential but now on offense.

The defense is looking the most promising since dare I say 2003/4.  Burns, Brown, Horn, Chinn, YGR, Jackson, Fox we are loaded.  Solid vets in Reddick, Shaq, Bouye, Perryman, Jones, Burris all good+ and some younger types that could grow into something like Nixon, Carter, Roy, Franklin, Pride, & Taylor.

Two primary things are improving in the redzone and Darnold translating. 

Elsewhere, offense is suddenly looking strong but it hinges on this new QB of ours. 

RB, check: CMC-Hubbard

TE, check: Arnold-Tremble

WR, check: DJ Moore-Robbie-Mitchell-Moore-Smith (Holy smokes check)

LT, hopeful: Christensen (with Erving/Scott/Daley as emergency)

LG, hopeful: Daley/Deonte

C, check: Paradis/D Moore

RG, check: Miller/Deonte

RT, check: Moton

We are young, the coach is now one year seasoned, time to put the steak on the grill and start heating up.

Edited by saX man
  • Pie 3

15 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm just happy to watch a team not led by Teddy Bridgewater.

I'm optimistic with the direction they are taking in building the team.  It's not Marty ball so I'm ecstatic with that of course. 

Will they be better?  Probably will just on improved depth alone. How much better?  That's yet to be seen.

Along with  Teddy being gone,,   I also hope Matt Rhule learned a lot about coaching in the NFL,, clock management etc. I think he probably has,, and I am a fan of Rhule,  but he was on a learning curve last year.  Key players out for many games ( CMC ,  Donte' Jackson etc ) I think he did pretty well,  a High B+ .  But he's got to continue to improve as well..

• Beer 1