• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers moving Chinn to safety. Thoughts?

BurnNChinn

1 minute ago, Scott12345 said:

maybe now we will have somebody back there that can cover a TE, or anybody for that matter, & is actually capable of making a tackle in the run game

Bingo!  That's his intended role in this defense when the rest of the pieces get sorted out.  Until then he's just whatever they need him to be on any given Sunday.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, KillerKat said:

So we're moving Burris to FS. Pretty concerned there.

Rhule mentioned Robinson and Franklin not having a real offseason last year to learn the system. I could see Robinson win the FS spot, def more speed than Burris. Still think Chinn will cover TE's in certain packages and otherwise be on clean up duty

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Does he have the speed to play FS? I assumed it would be more of a SS role.

He def has the speed. He is a 4.4 type. Earlier in the offseason it was mentioned by person that Chinn will be our FS. Which makes sense with his length and ability to read a play. 

If you think about all of the long runs that occurred on us last year. Chinn being the back guy would stop the play before it gets to next level.

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

He def has the speed. He is a 4.4 type. Earlier in the offseason it was mentioned by person that Chinn will be our FS. Which makes sense with his length and ability to read a play. 

If you think about all of the long runs that occurred on us last year. Chinn being the back guy would stop the play before it gets to next level.

Makes sense. I mean it’s a way to keep him and Burris/Franklin on the field at once. I guess we don’t have a true FS and he has the most speed of the SS group.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did you see that somewhere?

If it was at the presser, I missed it.

It's either that or cut. Unless he's alright sitting behind Chinn at SS. Plus he's still probably the better option than the other guys on the team. I'm hoping Keith Taylor gets looks there. Or hopefully the new guy Hill we signed is healthy and can step up there. Don't have faith in Robinson after being cut last year then signed after injuries occurred.

3 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Dude should have been a 1st round pick. Crazy we got him in the 2nd. 

The Eagles were were to take him before our pick (he was next up on their draft board) but Howie Roseman "went rogue" and took Jalen Hurts.

Chinn was a safety in college not a linebacker so he has played there his whole career except last year where we moved him to linebacker by necessity. He was great last year because he is insanely athletic and tough. But he is not a linebacker and won't last in that role. He is an athletic freak who is 6'3" weighs  220 and runs a 4.4.  Who better to give over the top protection against Michael Thomas, Mike Evans, Julio if he is still in Atlanta, and the rest.   I can't think of a better thing to cement the secondary than a huge free safety who likes contact, studies the game, and can run step for step with anyone and deliver a blow if you catch it.  Perryman is a huge upgrade at linebacker so Chinn can play further back in our base look.  Chinn can also fill in as a safety/ linebacker when they go to a nickel or dime look.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I think it is wise that the Panthers are preparing to move Chinn from linebacker to safety, a move that should extend his playing career as well as making that position stronger in regards to  coverage and tackling.

Panthers rookie Jeremy Chinn discusses 2020 NFL season | wcnc.com

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 2