• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meanwhile in other camps...

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

This is why I think the era of running/mobile qb's in the NFL may be on the chopping block.  Dude took a ton of hits his rookie and soph seasons and now cannot stay healthy.  I think all of the hits add up over time.  It probably affects players differently but they all add to the toll.  You cannot take those brutal shots like he did (and Cam as well) and not expect to have major repercussions from it. 

Mahomes got paid not that long ago. QBs with legit mobility are a coveted asset. I don't think that's going anywhere, as it is an entrenched part of the game. 

Perhaps some franchises will slow down on designed runs for QBs, but they're not going to stop QBs from running in order to move the chains. Teams are just going to rely on their QBs being smart enough to avoid big hits, and that's probably the way that it should be. 

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Mahomes got paid not that long ago. QBs with legit mobility are a coveted asset. I don't think that's going anywhere, as it is an entrenched part of the game. 

Perhaps some franchises will slow down on designed runs for QBs, but they're not going to stop QBs from running in order to move the chains. Teams are just going to rely on their QBs being smart enough to avoid big hits, and that's probably the way that it should be. 

Do that many current teams even have designed run plays for quarterbacks anymore beyond the goal line or 3rd and 4th down situations? Mobile quarterbacks are still going to be very much a part of the future of the league but running qb's like Cam with a substantial number of designed runs are likely to become less common. In any event there is a balance to be had. The Panthers did not find that balance and they failed to build with surrounding talent. Thus the results we ended up with.

26 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Mahomes also got really hurt running as well.  I think mobile qbs that can move around in the pocket and escape pressure is a plus I am just talking about the ones like wentz, cam, lamar etc that use their speed as a designed play are going to be phased out to a degree.  It just ruins careers.  I mean if we could go back and do it over again I would honestly think like Cam would run 50%(?) less if we knew it was going to prolong his time here.  RR ruined him by not having a line and running the crap out of him.  Same with wentz and Jackson is not far behind if they keep running him that much as well. 

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

QB mobility is a positive. It can help you avoid the big hits too. It's just not a smart idea to make your QB your primary short yardage runner like we did with Cam. Or in Baltimore's, your primary runner period. Lamar Jackson is going to have a short shelf life.

well said