• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charles Johnson on cutting Ibe. Has a point!

top dawg

12 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Player safety is a good thing.

Armchair internet badasses can whine all day that they don't play as hard as they did when "real men" used to play. To that, I say two things: When "real men" played the game according to these guys, your average NFL linebacker looked like Bud from the gas station. The game has changed. Now, players are setting speed and strength records at the combine that would have turned heads at Olympic qualifiers in the 80s. They're bigger, the game is faster, and the contacts are harder. Are players gouging eyes at the bottom of a scrum? Probably not. But every impact between these guys is hitting with the g-forces of a car accident.

And second, knowing what we know about CTE now, it's frankly perverse not to crack down on risks to player safety. Voluntarily consuming sports entertainment from league that's not taking every measure to ensure the health and safety of their players, while league retirees in their 40s are blowing their brains out, beating their wives, and have palsy so bad they can't even climb down their own stairs, is just barbaric. I mean look what happened to Antonio Brown, who's eggs got scrambled so bad his entire personality changed for life. Just because of a hit from Vontaze Burfict, who was every "it's a man's game" golden age fallacy fan's favorite player. Cheering on that kind of play for one's own entertainment is no better than gladiatorial combat.

I enjoy football, but I seriously question the sadistic tendencies of anyone who complains that players are less inclined to grievously injure each other.

I don't necessarily fault the gladiator zest that previous NFL fans had. This isn't some new thing in human history. In fact, look simply at the wide variety of combat sports that are popular worldwide. For better or for worse, that is part of human nature. We are a violent species and for decades part of the football appeal was watching a bunch of dudes beat the poo out of each other and then be "tough" by sucking it up.

All that being said, the NFL had to react less because of actual care for player safety but because of current and future liability, especially when it was discovered that they had long sought to suppress evidence of the long term effects of traumatic brain injuries. I wish that it was actually real player safety they cared about but it's a big evil corporate entity that isn't unlike most big evil corporate entities, it ultimately only cares about it's bottom line. 

You are 100% correct about the need for this only increasing over time because although equipment improved moderately, the extreme size, speed and athleticism of the modern players rose across the board. All eras may have had extreme athletes that could rival players from today but the average player has never been as big, strong and fast as the modern era. All that leads to much more violent collisions and injuries. 

The longest battle to fight won't be in the NFL, however. It will be at least a couple of decades of coaches from the pee wee level up through college that will have to either retire or die before they give up the "old ways." Hell, we still even see some of these maniacs come into the NFL, typically before they are quickly ushered out under a spate of media scrutiny. It's going to take a long time to get the majority of players that are taught to tackle and hit safely and properly. You still see college and NFL players that can't adjust to years and years of programming about "the right way to play football."

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

The video doesn't really look that bad, but I'm trusting the team made the right decision and the hit was egregious enough to warrant the punishment.  As a fan, I'm not going to second guess this decision for a bottom of the roster guy, but the DB coach clearly had a better view than this video and was on Ibe's ass about the hit before he even realized the extent of the potential injury to Kirkwood. 

2 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

The video doesn't really look that bad, but I'm trusting the team made the right decision and the hit was egregious enough to warrant the punishment.  As a fan, I'm not going to second guess this decision for a bottom of the roster guy, but the DB coach clearly had a better view than this video and was on Ibe's ass about the hit before he even realized the extent of the potential injury to Kirkwood. 

He made the critical error of lowering his head. It's a no-no in the game today. In fairness, both for the guy lowering his head and the recipient. You can just as easily fug yourself up doing that poo as you can someone else.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I'm confused.  So when someone tries to kill Cam, they should get the death penalty. CTE is the most dangerous thing ever. But if a guy plays recklessly and tries to kill a teammate, he should be hugged and coached up.

Which is softer?

1.)  Todays NFL rules in regard to contact

B.) Not punishing a player that plays with abandon an injures his peers or..

V.) Natural bosoms                                                                                                

Not a whole lot of folks saying to Hug and Coach him up. Not sure where you got that?

Honestly, I think this has more to do with sloppy and lackadaisical play.  Rhule stopped practice saturday night for sloppy play and players goin to the ground which could cause injury. He broke down the team and told them not to pull that kind of crap, then 3 days later this injury happens, was a sure fire way for Coach to set his tone.  To be clear, because he talked to the team about this just the other day tells me this wasnt a "Oh, this was a one time thing" for Ibe, this was more than likely this third strike.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

It looks pretty tame but at the end of the day a fringe practice squad player can't be sending teammates to the hospital on the first day of padded practice... Fluke or not. And I say that as someone who is very old school when it comes to physicality in sports and not happy about modern rules penalizing certain hits, etc.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, t96 said:

It looks pretty tame but at the end of the day a fringe practice squad player can't be sending teammates to the hospital on the first day of padded practice... Fluke or not. And I say that as someone who is very old school when it comes to physicality in sports and not happy about modern rules penalizing certain hits, etc.

Yeah, even if you are old school, can you imagine knocking out someone like DJ or CMC and potentially jeopardizing their season? Even if people can't buy into the new mentality, you don't want to be potentially injuring teammates prior to the season. Ever.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

You can't have players playing so recklessly/head strong, that he injures a teammate in practice. 

Coach did the right thing by showing his players he cares. 

Ibe sounded genuinely remorseful, so I doubt he was "head strong", more reckless.

I wonder is Rhule would've showed "caring" by cutting 89 after Smith put Anthony Bright in the hospital. Or, maybe Rhule would've displayed more "caring" by cutting Smitty after he basically "snuck"  Ken Lucas. 

No CJ doesn't have a point. I liked the guy as a player, but everything that comes out of his mouth is dumb as hell.

Some no-name player that wasn't going to make the roster anyway decided to go head hunting and lay out his own teammate. Left his feet and lunged right into the guys helmet.

That's stupid to do in an actual game, against an opponent, as you're going to be looking at getting flagged, possibly ejected, fined, suspended, ect. But against your own teammate? On the first day of padded practice no less? Cutting the guy is an EASY call.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Honestly, I think this has more to do with sloppy and lackadaisical play.  Rhule stopped practice saturday night for sloppy play and players goin to the ground which could cause injury. He broke down the team and told them not to pull that kind of crap, then 3 days later this injury happens, was a sure fire way for Coach to set his tone.  To be clear, because he talked to the team about this just the other day tells me this wasnt a "Oh, this was a one time thing" for Ibe, this was more than likely this third strike.

This is what I think it was, too.  Lackadaisical play and this was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  The video didn’t look that bad, but it’s possible to get bad concussions from seemingly minor hits.  He definitely had bad form and it cost his teammate his health and him a roster spot.  

The concussion where Luke looked like he was on another planet against the Saints seemed like a routine play, that’s why it’s important to keep proper form.  If it can happen on routine tackles it’s much more likely when you don’t tackle properly.  

• Pie 1