• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Gross-Matos

Tommy Jone

40 minutes ago, saX man said:

We've got s big DL rotation so it's all gravy train

Burns, Brown, Jones, Roy, Nixon, Fox, YGM, Haynes, Miller, & Reddick

That's a solid, underrated group.  Definitely light years better on paper than what we had last year.  We should have fresh guys every down for our pass rush.

Along with our revamped secondary, I'm excited about the defense. 

My only concern is how thin we are at LB and hoping we don't have a repeat of 2019 where we had guys that could rush the QB but absolutely couldn't stop the run.  But I'm hoping with the big bodies we got in there that won't be the same issue.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Outside of  Burns, the rest of these guys are gonna rotate so much that I'm not sure it matters who's actually listed as the "starter". It may change week to week. Go out there and make a couple plays and the coaches are probably gonna stick with the "hot hand" that day.

There's a lot of truth to this.

2 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

If you recall I think it took Charles Johnson about 3 years to come into his own.  I think being upset at this point might be premature unless he is not used consistently in the rotation.  Based on what he showed last year he will be on the field plenty.

Yea CJ had 0, 6, then 4 sacks in his first 3 years so it was year 4 when he turned into a good DE for a few years. 

• Pie 1

It's interesting for sure to contemplate how these players will be used.  2 guys like Burns and Reddick, and 2 guys like Fox and Gross-Matos.  You can spell either of those players with the other, or overload with 2 of the guys of the same specialty.

Edited by Tommy Jone

Remember YGM was fairly raw coming in. If anything he was being pressed into action more than he was ready for action last season. 

I have no issue seeing the productive vet start over the young guy. Like many said, we rotate guys and supposedly plan on being a fairly multiple front, so he will get some burn.

Zero reason to panic on the DL. That unit is easily the most solid we have(famous last words in 2019).

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Tommy Jone said:

https://catcrave.com/2021/08/10/5-pleasant-surprises-carolina-panthers-training-camp-far/6/

Sounds like Yetur has not yet secured a starting role in TC, per Cat Crave.  This is disappointing in the fact that he was thought to be skilled on running downs, which should have at least secured him a 2 down role. 

With Fox's size, I cannot imagine he offers much in the way of pass rush from the 4-3 DE position.  He is apparently much better suited to play 3 tech DT or 3-4 DE.  Yetur apparently has some upside in the pass rush area, but it's not yet been realized.

I have heard nothing on him in training camp coverage.

Fox is Smaller than Yetur by 2 inches in height, and 5lbs in weight. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Unless you are an absolute freak, breaking through as a rookie, or even 2nd year pass rusher is TOUGH.

The guys who can start, and be effective at that position as a rook go in the top 10 most times.

Hardy took 3 as well, its simple really- Just constantly beat a 6'5 330 LB man-beast within 2.5 seconds and you too can start on the edge for a NFL team...........................................

I have never cared about who starts on the DL. its always the snaps, impact, and havoc 

For what its worth, I seen more than once Fox coaching up YGM off to the side in one-on-one drills. I can not coach up my replacement, it would be hard case for me to agree to. I still have high hopes for YGM, hes the next great panther DL member. I got him him as a better Mike Rucker.

• Pie 1