• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Jaguars are showcasing Gardner Minshew, plenty of teams should be interested

WarPanthers89

Panthers were mentioned in article (not as being interested, just listed as a team that would make sense) so I thought it would be an interesting discussion as many have brought him up before. I still do not have confidence in PJ as a number 2 but ultimately I don’t believe the team would make a move like this because of the drama it would cause around Sam being the starter. 

Article:

The Jaguars are trying to continue to create the impression that Trevor Lawrence has not yet earned the starting job in a competition with Gardner Minshew. While there’s a chance it’s a legitimate contest (Lawrence seemed to perform better on Saturday night against the Browns), the better explanation is that the Jaguars are perplexed that they’ve yet to get a decent trade offer for Minshew, and that they’re showcasing him a bit.

On Monday, Meyer perpetrated the ruse, if it is one, when asked whether Lawrence would start the next preseason game, against the Saints.

“I think there’s a decent chance,” Meyer said. “We haven’t made that decision yet.”

They inevitably will. Lawrence inevitably will start. They didn’t make Lawrence the No. 1 overall pick in the draft to not put him on the field.

The other question is whether they’ll find a trade partner for Minshew, if they want one. Frankly, it’s amazing they didn’t get a solid offer for him months ago. He has 37 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions through two seasons, he’s under contract for a mere $865,000 this year, and he’s signed through 2022.

He can play, he has proven it. And there are teams that would benefit from his presence as a backup. He’d be an ideal understudy to a star quarterback whose status as the starter isn’t in question. He’s also a guy who could be used by the coaching staff and/or front office to push a starter who may be on tenuous ground if he doesn’t perform at a high level.

Teams like the Seahawks (Minshew played at Washington State), the Chiefs, the Ravens, the Cowboys, the Cardinals, the Rams, the Falcons, and the Titans would upgrade their No. 2 quarterback with Minshew — and he’d be no threat to take the starting job. Teams like the Giants and Lions would have a potentially viable replacement in the event Daniel Jones or Jared Goff, respectively, don’t get it done this season.

In Carolina, Minshew seems to be a much better alternative at No. 2 than P.J. Walker or Will Grier. Hell, Minshew may even be a better option than starter Sam Darnold; dollar for dollar, Minshew definitely provides better value.

It’s stunning, frankly, that Jacksonville hasn’t gotten more interest this year for Minshew. Although the number of competent quarterbacks has increased in recent years, teams still need them. Minshew has shown that he is one of them.

Maybe the Jaguars will just keep him as the No. 2 to Lawrence. With Minshew’s justifiable desire to play, he may not be the ideal guy to mentor Lawrence.

The longer Minshew is listed as the co-starter in Jacksonville, the greater the chance that he’s the featured vehicle in the showroom. And if no one bites before Week One, the Jags can just keep Minshew until an inevitable injury happens and a need for his presence immediately arises.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/16/if-the-jaguars-are-showcasing-gardner-minshew-plenty-of-teams-should-be-interested/

09414C3D-6406-46A2-AFB1-05DE5FB4DBB3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I thought he looked decent enough to work with.  He would definitely make me feel better about the qb depth.

Yeah, he showed some real promise IMO.  Looked great for a rookie thrown into the mix on a bad team.   

it isn’t going to happen here though.  

I like Minshew.  His play-style reminds me a lot of Jake.  Would love to bring him in for the right price (late draft pick).

That being said, I'm higher on PJ than most, and I just don't see our staff bringing in another guy that would threaten Sam this season.  I think they're fully committed to giving Sam this full season, unchallenged and see if he can improve...  if he doesn't, then he's gone.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't be against Minshew being here.

At the end of the day, it's all about the Team and its success.

If it ends up that Sam just can't get it done, there will at least be an option on the sidelines who perhaps could.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1