• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not bringing in competition for Darnold or Slye was a huge mistake

hepcat

2 minutes ago, SpeedOFLight said:

I’ll be honest. I am not sold on Rhule just yet. Some of these decisions he has made, I am not comfortable with. Tepper made a mistake by signing this guy to that big contract with no nfl experience. That’s just my thoughts .

I worried about that too.

Frankly, so far, that worry has not been dispelled.

if Darnold flames out, we're at the point he has to draft his guy, whomever that may be, and that guy has to succeed, or we have to move on.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, SpeedOFLight said:

I’ll be honest. I am not sold on Rhule just yet. Some of these decisions he has made, I am not comfortable with. Tepper made a mistake by signing this guy to that big contract with no nfl experience. That’s just my thoughts .

I get the "potential" aspect of the signing. In fairness, for every glaring red flag, we also see some real strengths. 

Ultimately it will just boil down to how quickly he can navigate the NFL learning curve. I think he can be a successful NFL head coach, but will it be in this stop?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

If you go back over the past preseason games, most 1rst teamers don't play more than a series or two until the 3rd preseason game and then it's usually only a half.  It's not like this is anything new.  It's not like Darnold was the only starter held out.  Preseason doesn't mean poo and it's really just a glorified training to sell tickets.  

• Beer 1

The offseason fluff about Slye's physique looks so ridiculous now. All that matters is can he make a kick when it counts. With Sam and the way the team is handling things it's so comical I'm beginning to wonder if we're just being trolled. This talk about preseason not meaning anything is for teams that have actually had recent success. Are the Carolina Panthers a good enough football team rn that it doesn't matter? Back to back 5 win seasons tells you none of this means anything? There are some things to like but there are things that continue to haunt the team until proven otherwise.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

I just really don't get it. It seems like they're actively trying to keep the fans from seeing him play. Every time we hear that he had a bad day, Rhule makes sure to throw the OL or WR's under the bus. It seems like they're trying to build up his confidence, but that poo is never going to work if he doesn't have on the field success. 

The way this staff is handling Darnold the name on his jersey should be FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE. If they honestly believe his psyche is so damaged that he can’t be given extended playing time until it’s absolutely necessary then he shouldn’t be in the NFL.. tell me I’m wrong.

As for Slye, it’s mind-boggling that they gave him zero competition after his sub-par season last year. If we go into this season without someone else being brought in I’m going to be pissed.

The insecurity of this place is riddled with over reactions.

This place is acting like we are the only team in the NFL with a new QB that hasn’t put in any preseason snaps and the only team in the NFL where their third stringers get rocked.

breaking news: We aren’t.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I don't care how much people poo me. Sam Darnold this offseason is the most I have EVER seen a player be sheltered. I don't see how this can be good for us. If someone has a legitimate reason why Sam has only made 2 throws I'd love to hear it.

He's made more than that. Just not from your perspective.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

He's made more than that. Just not from your perspective.  

By my count it's been reported he's had over 100 snaps against 2 teams 1st team defense, more if you count his own.  That's more than he would get in 8 preseason games let alone 3.  Just because you did not witness it does not mean it did not happen.   

Fans need to chill.  

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, hepcat said:

Exactly! How is this Darnold not playing more???

How is there not a completion for the QB position? Darnold has done NOTHING to deserve the treatment he is getting. This isn’t some established veteran that doesn’t need reps. The Ravens not playing Lamar Jackson, I get it. Dude is an MVP caliber QB. Darnold has stunk it up his first 3 seasons. That is not a recipe for a winning team.

There is not a competition for the QB spot because our other 2 options suck. Darnold's talent level is miles ahead of Grier or PJ. We do not have another legitimate starting QB on our roster. 

Would it be nice to see more of Darnold in the games? Sure, but the coaches are happy with the work he is getting in joint practices.

Maybe if tis staff does not work out some of you guys should throw your hat in the ring when the new hiring process begins. 

• Pie 2

Just now, PootieNunu said:

There is not a competition for the QB spot because our other 2 options suck. Darnold's talent level is miles ahead of Grier or PJ. We do not have another legitimate starting QB on our roster. 

Would it be nice to see more of Darnold in the games? Sure, but the coaches are happy with the work he is getting in joint practices.

Maybe if tis staff does not work out some of you guys should throw your hat in the ring when the new hiring process begins. 

And that’s the whole point of creating this post. Not bringing in competition for Darnold is a huge mistake. Coddling him like he’s already an established starter isn’t a good idea. Not having a backup plan in case he fails will get people fired (hopefully)