• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honeymoon period

NAS

I think you have to group some of the fans to gage what the honeymoon period will be. I think for the hardcore/long term Pamthers fans, 2022 will start to be when the heat is on. For the bulk of the fans(more casual) it won't be much about a honeymoon period or the seat getting hot, it will be just a steady decrease in fan interest. This still isn't an area with a large and rabid fanbase, so it will be easy for the bulk of the casual fans to just pay attention to other sports.

For the media, I think Rhule will start to feel the heat in 2022 if the 2021 season doesn't show much improvement. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

I signed up for the 3 year plan. He's got one more year in my book. Unfortunately he's been making some decisions lately that are head scratchers and probably won't allot him much more honeymoon time with the fan base and more than likely Tepper himself. 

Remember, he CHOSE Teddy over Cam, He also CHOSE Darnold over Fields. So these decisions are going to make him or break him. Not having that QB will not help his chances. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Most new coaches have a honeymoon period that gets them the benefit of the doubt and a lot of leeway with, not only the owner, but the media and the fans.

I think that, in his second year, Rhule is still on a honeymoon period with Tepper and the media.

With the fans, however, I feel like Rhule had a very short lived honeymoon period that basically ended when he had to release Cam and signed Bridgewater. Even though his team overachieved last year based on the fact that team was in a full rebuild mode, he doesn’t seem very popular with the fans who remain skeptical. 

There seem to be three main reasons for this:

1. Rebuild since 2018

Many fans don’t consider the rebuild to have started in 2020. Instead, they date it back to 2018 when Tepper bought the team. They unfairly are taking their frustrations out on Rhule even though he has not had a chance to really put together his program yet. Even last year, he had to deal with the inept Hurney. Historically it took him until year 3 to build a winning program. No such patience with this fanbase.

2. Lack of NFL experience.
Right or wrong, many fans don’t seem to put as much value on his leadership abilities to put together winning programs like in college. They think college head coaches seldom translate to the NFL often emphasizing failed experiments with Saban, Kelly and others. I think the main difference is that Saban relied on getting the top players, Kelly on offensive scheme.  Rhule relied neither on top recruits nor the X’s and O’s, he simply maximized everyone’s potential to work together as a team.

3. QB decisions

Starting with Cam’s release, Bridgewater signing and now the Darnold trade, some think Rhule is in over his head and doesn’t realize how important the QB position is in the NFL.  This is perhaps his biggest unknown.  If he can really redeem Darnold and get him to be elite, then he will silence all doubters for a very long time. 

In conclusion, it’s clear that this year is crucial for Rhule as far as fan support is concerned. The honeymoon period is already over and expectations are higher than perhaps is fair to have in only the second year coaching.

I really hope Rhule figures it out by year 3. Right now the decisions at QB have been questionable at best. But overall the team was bad at all levels last season with some flashes of potential. We just need to see more of those flashes consistently, at all levels. QB is obviously the most important position but teams can win despite poor QB play if the rest of the team can carry them along.

It’s not like Drew Brees was carrying the Saints the last few seasons. That roster is stacked and well coached. Bridgewater went 5-0 starting on that squad. 

So if Rhule can build a quality roster and get mediocre to good QB play out of Darnold, it could be a decent season. Although a lot of things need to improve to see that happen.

• Pie 3

Rhule came in and handled the Cam thing poorly.  That basically ended his chance of a normal honeymoon window IMO.  

not saying Cam had to be his guy either.   It was a hard spot to be in, no doubt.  But came off very Gettlemen-ish IMO.  

and so he is getting the treatment any standard coach gets as a result IMO.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

I really hope Rhule figures it out by year 3. Right now the decisions at QB have been questionable at best. But overall the team was bad at all levels last season with some flashes of potential. We just need to see more of those flashes consistently, at all levels. QB is obviously the most important position but teams can win despite poor QB play if the rest of the team can carry them along.

It’s not like Drew Brees was carrying the Saints the last few seasons. That roster is stacked and well coached. Bridgewater went 5-0 starting on that squad. 

So if Rhule can build a quality roster and get mediocre to good QB play out of Darnold, it could be a decent season. Although a lot of things need to improve to see that happen.

Are you saying the 2019 roster is better than the 2021 roster? Bc on paper this roster far succeeds the 2019 roster. So there goes your “build a better roster” point.

Edited by TheCasillas