• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Philosophy: The Tortoise vs The Hare

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Possibly so. Peyton had a SHITLOAD of INT's in his first year in the league.

I am amazed at how Mahomes is able to do all that crazy poo and get away with it. That will be something interesting to watch over the course of his career. If the talent drops around him, will he start throwing more picks?

If you get away with it, you're Patrick Mahomes.

If you don't, you're Rex Grossman.

• Beer 1

I don't mind the dinking and dunking as a way to open opportunities and take shots down the field.  That's what Brees did to us for years even when he didn't have the biggest arm. With Darnold, we have an opportunity to make some big plays with DJ, Robby, Terrence and Shi being a potential downfield threat on any given play.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah I'm not feeling the Brady magic like everyone else.  I'm just not seeing this offensive guru they speak of.  But I will admit his qb choice didn't do him any favors.  Sorta like the chicken/egg thing.

Brady wasnt done squat. He was given games WITHOUT crowd noise with his hand picked QB and fart GIF  .... I will say form 20 to 20 it was exciting to watch and he didnt have CMC for 13 games. Still should have gotten better results and I seen him back in the booth for PS games..... hummm..... I was shocked when teams called him up for HC interviews after that unimpressive showing. I flipped on Snow and Brady after the season eneded, dont want to lose Snow and so what about Brady leaving. New year and besides OL, every spot has gotten better I feel. SHow me something Brady.....

• Beer 3

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Yeah, Joe Brady and Sean Payton don’t employ the dink and dink mindset.   At least not in NO historically (Payton/Brees in their prime) and LSU’s record year.  

they suck you in for the purpose of hitting you deep.  The downfield ball being a key component.  A complete and balanced pass attack.  

Yup at his core Payton is a WCO disciple where plays are either a checkdown or a touchdown.

Checkdowns draw the defense in a horizontal ball movement stretches them out for the purpose of opening up big plays.

”suck you in for the purpose of hitting you deep” is a perfect description.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's basically how a West Coast attack works.

We haven't used one here since Seifert. Fox and Rivera were both Coryell guys and Capers ran an E-P.

West Coast is more than just the passing game. It's also the philosophy of getting less men in the box and making it easier to get a hat on a hat in the blocking game and making life easier on your RB and OL.

Huge fan of the West Coast offense, but I honestly wasn't very impressed with our offense last year, especially on the ground. I thought we lacked creativity on the ground and in the air, but honestly our play calling for our backs made me miss Rivera and Norv Turner. 

Honestly our whole offense was better under Norv Turner IMO.

11 hours ago, Madwolf said:

West Coast is more than just the passing game. It's also the philosophy of getting less men in the box and making it easier to get a hat on a hat in the blocking game and making life easier on your RB and OL.

Huge fan of the West Coast offense, but I honestly wasn't very impressed with our offense last year, especially on the ground. I thought we lacked creativity on the ground and in the air, but honestly our play calling for our backs made me miss Rivera and Norv Turner. 

Honestly our whole offense was better under Norv Turner IMO.

Its a shame Norv wasn't given more time to work with Cam, he was good here. Would've been nice if ol' Ron used that Chargers connection far earlier instead of sticking with Mike Shula for god knows what reason.

Edited by beo

I'm open to the idea that Brady might not be a good OC....at least yet.

All the hype hid that he had never been a coordinator at any level. 

I think it's clear he has the capability. It's only natural it will take some time to become proficient at it.

Edited by Moo Daeng

20 hours ago, CRA said:

Yeah, Joe Brady and Sean Payton don’t employ the dink and dink mindset.   At least not in NO historically (Payton/Brees in their prime) and LSU’s record year.  

they suck you in for the purpose of hitting you deep.  The downfield ball being a key component.  A complete and balanced pass attack.  

Their system can just be whatever they want it to be. If you play cover dink and dunk to death. Man they are using deep crossing routes. It just requires the QB to be smart with the ball and talented WRs.

Edited by Snake

23 hours ago, CRA said:

Literally what I was coming to say. I get where Mr Scot is going but I think he’s a little off in regards to the system Payton/Brady run. Without getting too nerdy and football coach like the purpose of their system is to almost give you false confidence that the offense is simply looking for 4/6 yards per play. In particular early in the game you might see trips with a flat route a medium in/out route and a seam to open it up. Later in the game if that play is successful you’ll see double moves being built out of that stack formation so now the DB is thinking another medium route next thing you know the WR hits him with a quick double move and is streaking over the top. 

In Brees’ later stage it was way more dink and dunk because he had a noodle left for an arm and Teddy is Teddy he also lacks plus arm strength to make dynamic plays down the field. Brady wants just as if not more explosive plays than Rivera did our QB last year simply lacked the capacity to make some of those plays happen.

Edited by CashNewton22