• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So... Sam Darnold. Are you encouraged or discouraged

Zod

2 hours ago, NAS said:

Were we watching the same game? I came away thinking his arm looks stronger than I expected. Maybe in comparison to early Cam not the same but it looked very elite to me. Also his release was quicker than I expected.

His arm looked strong. I'm not saying he is teddy Bridgewater. I'm saying his arm is what you expect from a top 5 qb pick. There is the strong teir where guys like Kyle Murray, Darnold,Watson, Carr all those guys have strong arms. Then there is that Godly teir that simply doesn't come out every year. 

Mathew Stafford, Micheal Vick, Josh Allen, Mahomes, number 1 pick Cam Newton had to an extent. Those are generation arms talents. Don't think Darnold is that but not many are.

• Pie 1

Just watched it again. 

Got to say that the only issue was being a bit jumpy...at first. He settled down and he got confident. 

I'm not worried about the jumpiness because I think he got it out of the way. First significant time out with the new team jitters.

We might see it show up a little here and there early in the season, but I'm sure he'll get settled down and do well.

Overall, I'm feeling good about him and his usage of the talent around him.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Just watched it again. 

Got to say that the only issue was being a bit jumpy...at first. He settled down and he got confident. 

I'm not worried about the jumpiness because I think he got it out of the way. First significant time out with the new team jitters.

We might see it show up a little here and there early in the season, but I'm sure he'll get settled down and do well.

I think some of the jumpiness/ happy feet concerns others have said are a bit overdone.  I think he definitely had that early but settled down, as you noted... It's understandable his first time playing at his new home stadium would have some nerves.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1

My question is what happens with Rhule if Darnold doesn't work out and we miss the playoffs? How much longer of a leash does he get? He moved on from Cam Newton with an utmost certainty he'd have a worthwhile replacement come in and fill those shoes with ease. So far it's been anything but that. And if Darnold doesn't pan out, similar to sh*t the bed Ted I think Rhules seat should begin to get warmer with each passing day

9 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

My question is what happens with Rhule if Darnold doesn't work out and we miss the playoffs? How much longer of a leash does he get? He moved on from Cam Newton with an utmost certainty he'd have a worthwhile replacement come in and fill those shoes with ease. So far it's been anything but that. And if Darnold doesn't pan out, similar to sh*t the bed Ted I think Rhules seat should begin to get warmer with each passing day

He has a 7 year contract and walked into a dumpster fire.

If we show improvement year on year, Rhule will stay. We were much better last year than we had any right to be. It looks like we hit on the Draft this year again, and our 2020 picks are a year older / wiser / stronger. 

We're trending in the right direction. 

Also Bridgewater was a mediocre starting NFL QB (that's walked into another starting job in the NFL) - people act like he couldn't throw a forward pass.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

47 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Just watched it again. 

I  agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. Even with the shaky start, he hit 6 different Receivers. Used his stud, DJ had 6 catches. And had no Turn Overs. I'd say he did a really good job.

Damm good start to the year. I was hoping it would go well, and it did. Yeah for me.

• Beer 1

Is as expected. Darnold will do better in panther blue, but expecting Sam to wow you I think is unrealistic. Ceiling seems to be tannehil-esque. But more than likely just a hair better than teddy. The difference maker is the team around him whether or not he reaches his ceiling. This defense will bail him out a bunch. That's the good news. The bad news is we have to come up with something on the left side of the OLINe. Whether be MOton or signing another we need more adequate Guard and Tackle play.

A winning season is the goal. And we're capable. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Is as expected. Darnold will do better in panther blue, but expecting Sam to wow you I think is unrealistic. Ceiling seems to be tannehil-esque. But more than likely just a hair better than teddy. The difference maker is the team around him whether or not he reaches his ceiling. This defense will bail him out a bunch. That's the good news. The bad news is we have to come up with something on the left side of the OLINe. Whether be MOton or signing another we need more adequate Guard and Tackle play.

A winning season is the goal. And we're capable. 

All it takes to be a hair better than Teddy, and I'd call it more than a hair, is to score in crunch time. Inside the 20 score TD's, finishing two minute drives and not crapping the bed on EVERY game winning drive... yes, I think that would make him quite a bit better than "can't finish" Teddy.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1