• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week 5 Offensive line review: Miller's new nickname is Sieve Smith

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

Neither.  Put Moton back at right.

RT Moton>LT Moton
Elflein>>Daley

Brady at LT, the only position he played in college. I know it sounds crazy but maybe just play the guys in their natural positions.

Unfortunately Brady-Elf-Paradis-Brown-Moton is probably the best lineup we can put out there this season

I appreciate the zeal of the OP, but the problem with grading based on highlights is that by sheer definition, you're grading only the absolute best plays of the game or the absolute worst.  It's just not helpful in determining what the problems may have been.

For example, giving BC a low grade based on his getting overpowered.

First off, this should be a cautionary tale for all of the huddle OLine coaches.  BC's game was never power.  It's technique.  Putting him at guard is dumb.  That's not his game.

Second, you had a rookie in his first start playing out of position.  Don't let that be understated.  I can't remember who it was, some Panthers lineman from the past, who was asked about switching from right to left.  He said it was like learning to wipe with your other hand.  You can learn it, but it can be messy.

Third, if there was a solid anchor on the interior, and all you saw all game was BC ushering his guy upfield and past the QB, how much better would you rate him?

A good OLine can easily compensate for having one backup quality player in it.  Unfortunately, it appears right now that we have at least three.  That's unlikely to change this year.  Hopefully our coaches realize that and account for it.

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Brady at LT, the only position he played in college. I know it sounds crazy but maybe just play the guys in their natural positions.

Unfortunately Brady-Elf-Paradis-Brown-Moton is probably the best lineup we can put out there this season

Yeah.  The whole "Brady can't play LT cause he has short arms" is crap.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If the choice is between...

Moton - Erving - Paradis - Brown - Christensen

or

Moton - Christensen - Paradis - Brown - Erving

...which are you taking?

I think I would start with this line up,

Erving - Christensen - Paradis- Brown - Moton.

But as your last combo of,

Moton - Christensen - Paradis - Brown - Erving 

will work as well. 

Let the rookies have a vet on each side of them until they get acclimated to the game.

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Based on the highlights alone, Paradis was the most consistent Lineman we had yesterday and didn't look bad at all. 

Moton and Christiansen with all things considered, did well.

Daley did fine.

Miller needs to go. 

I'm not kidding, like 75% of all the bad came from Miller alone this game. 

Paradis was awful…he gets knocked backwards every play 

and Daley was getting beat all game long

• Pie 1

Important to remember that if one struggles on PFF the ones next to them can suffer too. It’s only human instinct to edge off a block to get the guy that just blew by your neighbor, or make a misstep because your neighbor got blown up on their zone step. Just my two cents.

Moton was okay but his neighbor probably brought him down and he’s mirroring his usual self.

Daley is a back up at best and inferior to Elf (which is horrid)

Paradis is a star or a bum from play to play no in between.

Miller is garbage. Not even that, he’s stuff that leaks through your trash bag and drys and sticks to the bottom of the trash can.

Christensen probably struggled because the safety cone next to him was getting blown up every play and it was also his first start.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Based on the highlights alone, Paradis was the most consistent Lineman we had yesterday and didn't look bad at all. 

Moton and Christiansen with all things considered, did well.

Daley did fine.

Miller needs to go. 

I'm not kidding, like 75% of all the bad came from Miller alone this game. 

Again Daley was bad. I'm not sure how it could be missed. Nothing close to fine. 

Miller was a cheap signing they're trying to coach up, I figured he'd be replaced eventually. When the overall line is playing badly or against good competitors you can't hide him. He'd be serviceable if he were like *the* weak link and everyone else was good but again, not the situation. Deonte will be a welcome sight but he's a rookie and sometimes they need time to play and take their lumps so if he gets the start and plays poorly at first fans are gonna poop themselves. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Daley needs to sit. Miller and Paradis probably do as well though I don't really think we've got another viable option at center.

Speaking of that, I know we have Sam Tecklenburg as a backup at Center. I really don't know much about him including preseason. I don't even remember him from Preseason. I don't expect much of him but I'll admit I am kind of curious.