• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MNF - Fields

CRA

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I know it doesn't fit the Huddle narrative, but in order to exercise the 5th year option, you must do so before May 3.  That's why we did it before he played for us.  If we waited until he played for us, it wouldn't have been available.

Now, the stronger argument was that he hadn't shown the NFL anything in three seasons.  Letting him play toward free agency after this year would have / could have been a motivator.  That's the part I never understood.

You have a player that was a massive bust that is on a cheap, on year prove it deal. Then you immediately pay him a large guaranteed salary with the most interaction with him being over Zoom.

Super, super, super not smart. What makes it worse? The fact we gave up multiple picks for him.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Call Me James said:

Yo don't watch football. Go to bed. 

Lol okay bud. You tell me what I said that was wrong and if you want to have a conversation about Football let's discuss. 

I wanted Fields pre Darnold when it became clear the 9ers were going Mac/Lance at 3. Hell, draft day he was still my 1A/1B with Slater. 

The arm talent is there, the touch and the rest of his game is missing for me. If you think differently and believe Fields has shown anything more than what our bum playing QB has Id be genuinely interested in hearing about it.

12 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

One is a rookie who lost snaps to dalton in TC and regular season practice 

one is a 4 year veteran, come on. 

It wasn’t just the last drive, the whole 4th quarter he was thriving…on the road with a crazy amount of noise and against a good pass rush. I have ZERO faith that Darnold could do the same thing in that circumstance with much more experience.

20 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

One is a rookie who lost snaps to dalton in TC and regular season practice 

one is a 4 year veteran, come on. 

As I said, not a comparison.

Single highlight drives can offer promise but he’s a project QB at best right now. So he needs proper support and coaching to get him to an acceptable level.

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You have a player that was a massive bust that is on a cheap, on year prove it deal. Then you immediately pay him a large guaranteed salary with the most interaction with him being over Zoom.

Super, super, super not smart. What makes it worse? The fact we gave up multiple picks for him.

Bro, the biggest part of that you didnt mention is that we were literally bidding against ourselves

• Flames 2

5 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Fields is a rookie taking his rookie lumps behind a bad o line and with bad coaching. He's still better than Darnold and won't cost 18.8 million next year. Missed opportunity with regards to the QB position for this team, absolutely. At least Fields shows you flashes and you can be optimistic about him going forward. This is year 4 of Sam making the same mistakes, if you don't count USC where he turned the ball over a ton. 

Again, I'm not mad about drafting Jaycee Horn bc he looks like a future great player at a valuable position. But the decision making process involving the QB position, (thinking you had a guy you could make look good so you can pass on the options in the draft) was a terrible mistake. 

I watched every snap last night. Chicago's line looked way better than ours has all year.  He had lots of clean pockets last night.

I wanted Fields. But changed my mind after watch Horn play. Honestly, one of the best shutdown corners I’ve watched and he’s a rookie. It’ll pay off in the long run.

The issue with Fields is the same as it was in college. One game he looks like an absolute stud (see Clemson game) and the next he is missing receivers badly, processing slowly, taking sacks. That tells me that he still needs work seeing the whole field and processing the defense. 

So we would have had to be patient with him behind this line. He would have probably been up and way down quite a lot for a few years. Something which should be obvious that our fans couldn’t take. Leading to chants to take a QB after 2 years. 

And that is how our transition to the Jets would be complete.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. I don't recall any real reports of any other serious interest for Darnold.

The Jets straight up fleeced us.

Shoulda offered them a 6 inch sub from subway or something

Edited by Fox007
  • Flames 1

We are rebuilding. We should have stuck to the plan kept Teddy and drafted a QB...In hindsight it should have been Fields...but I think Teddy pissed off the staff .... they kicked him to the curb fast. I'll eat some crow for now but I didn't care for Fields, just didnt think he would translate and that OSU QB stigma thing. He looked pretty good last night for a rookie. He could of pulled off the win if it wasn't for the usual BS lucky calls Shitsburgh gets....  Meanwhile, we still have a shtty line and no QB prospect and traded picks away....this will put us a minimum of 2 years behind the rebuild. Eddie Munster will be trotted out there again next year under center. Rhule is in way over his head and has wrecked the corvette...

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I've stopped commenting as much here because it's just become a toxic place to browse. The idea that spending a 2nd round pick on Darnold was 'mortgaging our future' and 'a complete disaster' is absurd. 

It's only a toxic place to browse if you are still caping for Sam Darnold and keeping his cod piece by your night stand. He's the worst QB in the nfl and we got fleeced in that trade no amount of excuses changes that.

• Pie 2