• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Cam get a long term deal if he plays well the rest of the season?

KillaCamNewton

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Cam won 7 last year with NE....and that roster was comically bad.  It was a weak roster that was then hammered by COVID holdouts on top of that. 

I mean, NE Cam would have had this version of the Panthers at the top of the NFC if he was here from the jump.   It's still amazing the offense was bad enough to lose some of those giftwrapped games the D gave us. 

Yup Sam missed tons of open receivers and numerous chances to scramble for 5-10 yards, defenses are going to be forced to play Cam differently and not just sit on WR routes/rush 4 all day

3 hours ago, blackcat said:

I don't see them letting him walk again unless he really, really, really stinks the place up.  With that said, if 2018 Cam shows up for the next few games, we sign him up for 3 years and get every OL lineman we can.  Then win the Superbowl next year.  It's pretty simple.

And the year after.

You know the best way to wash out the taste of no consecutive winning seasons?  Consecutive SB's.

And I agree, there is no way you can let Cam walk again unless he really is terrible.  Fan base will not stand for it.

Barring a run to the NFCC and a good performance by him I see this as an 8 game (plus playoffs if we make it) deal. 

You better believe that they’ll still be in the mix for Watson if he looks like he’d be ready to play. 

Say the (near) impossible happens and we make a run deep in the playoffs and he plays well al year…I could see a voidable 2-3 year deal while we look for a rookie. 

Im happy he’s back. But don’t kid yourself. This isn’t 25 year old Cam. This is 30+ year old Cam playing about 30lbs off his normal battering ram playing weight. Which means that things he hasn’t been good at historically (not getting hit, ball placement, not throwing picks) will be crucial to his success. I think there is a chance we go to the playoffs (50/50 if the EVERYONE stays healthy). But it’s not gonna be bc Cam is all of a sudden an MVP. It’ll be bc of a historically great D and a running game.

Edited by unicar15

On 11/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, onmyown said:

you cannot fix the 29th ranked oline in one season with half your top picks missing 

it just doesn’t work like that

this oline is already horrendous and they don’t even have Paradis next year, so despite literally dangerous guard play, a C is an absolute must 

this is the hole that was dug and will take several years to address. honestly it’s really doing cam a disservice.

True

You can prevent exposing them.  Darnold was somewhat mobile, but not a huge threat and CMC was missing until last game.  You add Cam and CMC back to the equation and this takes a load off the OL simply because any time Cam drops back and pressure comes...Cam or CMC can break through and gain positive yards.  When CMC was out Darnold really didn't have any dump off options and the run game was sub par so the Defenses could just tee off on Darnold and basically destroy the pocket.

Now Cam and CMC will make Defenses play differently, so this could help the OL.  The real issue that still remains is can Cam throw a 20 plus yard pass within 5 foot of a WR or does the ball keep ending in the grass before the receiver / sailing over the receiver?

I look back at those 2015 season games and Cam looked absolutely massive. I like big Cam more than lean Cam, which is what he appears to me now. But if being lean helps Cam be a bit more nimble in the pocket, that might help keep him from getting hammered. Now if that shoulder is just able to hold up...

The odds are stacked hugely against Cam.

I'd love for him to do well. We need him to do well. 

But most likely he's washed.

Since the Watt hit he is only completing 

45% of his passes 15yds downfield 

And at that distance has 2tds and 7 ints

With a 64.9% rating. 

We are very likely to see Corners sitting on routes again. 

He's not going anywhere. This means sooooo much to him, you will have to drag him out of here kicking and screaming.

He's not going to voluntarily leave again. He's going to fight. I've followed his whole career.

He will play his best football EVER. His heart is here and he's not going to back down, he will not accept failure.

38 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

The odds are stacked hugely against Cam.

I'd love for him to do well. We need him to do well. 

But most likely he's washed.

Since the Watt hit he is only completing 

45% of his passes 15yds downfield 

And at that distance has 2tds and 7 ints

With a 64.9% rating. 

We are very likely to see Corners sitting on routes again. 

You mean that dirty non penalized hit on the Steelers home cooked field on national TV that savage unwashed fans cheered on!?

Sometimes the NFL shows their hand much like the WWE. That was one of those times of many if you've been a Panther fan.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, Jaxel said:

No, maybe another 1 year deal to mentor the rookie we take in the draft, but I can't foresee a long term deal regardless 

Ha!

If he plays well, there's absolutely no reason not to bring him back. None whatsoever!

Cam is only 32. Provided that he is healthy and can make the throws, he's a great bridge QB to the next guy. The problem is is that we don't know when or if we can get a franchise QB. Save for trading much-needed draft capital away and picking up a Wilson or a Rodgers (who would have to be on board), it would be advantageous for the next guy to sit and learn properly for at least a year or two. And, honestly, Ridder, Rattler (who may want to give it another go somewhere else), Howell or some 2021 upstart like Corral, don't really look like world-beaters. They're looking flawed and will need more than a season to develop into starting pros.