• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam's contract and our options

AU-panther

27 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

So the lesson is when you make a mistake that hurts your team, just keep compounding the mistake, cause like, you've already done worse, so who cares? It actually makes it a hell of a lot more important that we don't. We've wasted enough money on our QB situation.

But sure, let's go with your attitude. Why not sign Josh Rosen and Dwayne Haskins this offseason? We literally signed 2 QBs who failed at their last stops. We are way past the point of worrying about whether 2 more might fail.

I'm arguing the latter. I think instead of keeping Sam around just cut our losses and cut him. That $18m is not coming back no matter what and in my opinion him staying on the roster is a complete waste of space especially since even PJ has shown he can play better.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I’m just wondering why a lot of the folks who have/had no problem pointing out Cam’s flaws are having a real problem bringing that same energy to Darnold’s play.

“But he could improve”

“He’s only 23”

”the oline!!!!”

Well first of all, he's basically a rookie....

• Flames 6

I wish I could say that any of these options are possible but other than keeping him or cutting him and eating the dead cap is about the only thing we are going to see.

He was garbage in N.Y. and started out good but went to hell after week 3.  I see no way any team bites on a trade just to help us out.  

Our draft capital is thin this year so every pick is going to be cruciat.  At our current pace I see us mid field in the draft.  I see us trading back to get more draft capital going into the 2022 draft. 

2 hours ago, therealmjl said:

I’m just wondering why a lot of the folks who have/had no problem pointing out Cam’s flaws are having a real problem bringing that same energy to Darnold’s play.

“But he could improve”

“He’s only 23”

”the oline!!!!”

you have to wonder why Darnold was held to lower expectations?

9 hours ago, firefox1234 said:

I'm arguing the latter. I think instead of keeping Sam around just cut our losses and cut him. That $18m is not coming back no matter what and in my opinion him staying on the roster is a complete waste of space especially since even PJ has shown he can play better.

We need to resign like 4 guys anyway, just convert the first year money to bonuses to fit it under the cap and deal with it later. Figuring out some way to extend Darnold to spread the cap hit out just leaves a reminder of the stench for a couple years. The hardest pill to swallow will be losing the draft picks next year, but if we re-sign Haason/Cam/Gilmore/Luvu we really don't need much besides OL in the draft. Trade back or trade future picks to move up, whatever works out depending on how the board falls. So many good teams picking later in the 1st trade back anyway because all they need is depth while in their prime

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah. Some of us knew this coming in but to see it live and in person....WOW. Can you imagine watching 3 years of that with the Jets?

Yes.  'Cause I have. 🥴

And all that time, I thought it was all Adam Gase.

And for the most part, it was but Adam Gase's "stink" actually served to mask Sam's "stink" from showing itself. 

That's why he apparently fooled myself, others, and RHULE into giving him another shot.