• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera sums up his and Cam’s Panthers tenure in one maddening sentence

Cary Kollins

Two things, incompetence in understanding that you can't rely on one guy, and incompetence in offensive team building. 

It's common sense that you need to do a few things when you have a franchise caliber QB, surround him with talent / OL. And draft / sign a back up with a similar skill set. In all of Cam's time here we never really had a physical comp as a back up (Jimmy Clausen / Derek Anderson / Kyle Allen / Will Grier / Taylor Heinecke) -- You could argue Joe Webb, but he was 3rd on the DC and used as ST'er / emergency WR & QB; he was never a direct back up. We could have taken late fliers on guys like Tyree Jackson, Logan Thomas and even Terrell Pryor -- all of these guys were late round picks, and Pryor was a 3rd. 

If you look at what BAL has done, they added weapons, and had an OL, and Huntley / RGIII (though older) was a physical comp to Lamar this way you can run he same offense, versus it being VASTLY different if an injury to the starter occurs. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4

When everyone said Ron best fit for Cam  go to redskins. I knew that would never happen bc Cam was too big for Ron. When media jumped on Cam he co sign with the people saying ya I would have took that shot too. I mean u can't  say that on national TV about your own qb. I have never cared for Ron and still don't. He had enough talent to win at a least 1 SB and ran it into the ground. CMC was going to be Cam's replacement and treated very much the same. Once he thought Cam was used up he wouldn't  even try to give him a shot in Washington and I am thankful he didn't. Keep standing there like a Der got in headlights be lost with your project qbs 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I love Rivera, as a person. He was a great person and leader in the community. I have no quarrels with that.

As a Coach. I will be eternally pissed at him for pissing away Cam AND Luke.

He single handedly threw away a super bowl by not knowing what he had and knowing how to use them. Two generational talents wasted. Absolutely livid. 

Had we had a more competent coach, my mod what could have been. We'd be talking MULTIPLE championships. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

37 minutes ago, NAS said:

For all the 'classy' things he says to the media, I will always resent and dislike Rivera because he rode Cam into the ground and turned a blind eye to injuries when Cam needed someone to protect him from himself.  

You can never ask the player to take himself out of the game, that's the coach's responsibility.  

Exactly, and the same thing happened with Steve Smith in the playoff game against San Francisco. Steve could barely run with a bad knee and wouldn't come out of the game. It was Ron's job to take him out! So Cam had to operate against a top 3 league defense with Olsen, Lafell, and a hobbled Smith. That was a game we didn't have to lose. 

26 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

This just reads to me that no he doesn’t want a star quarterback. A star quarterback doesn’t have replicable skills. Just confirms to me that Cam could have been one of the greatest players to ever play the game with a different head coach, one that wasn’t jealous of him quite frankly. 

Ron views his qb and his offense as a tool to keep his defense off the field. Ball control is the primary objective and scoring is secondary. 

He really is on that Bears 85 shite! The thing is like you pointed out he was blessed with a talent 10x better than Jim Mcmahon. And he never fielded a defense that good. The only pass I give Ron is that he wanted Norv Turner first and couldn't get him. But the bullshit he put Cam through was insane. I mean benching him for not wearing a tie! What is this prep basketball away games? Rhule was scared of having a personality that big too, and now is discovering how easy having a hardworking veteran presence really makes your job easier! A lot of Panther fans, and basically the rest of the country really listened to what I call the "Bullshit Cam Narrative" from the media and Ron never helped that. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1