• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper embarrassed by Rhule. Rhule lost locker room.

Ja  Rhule

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yikes. If true, this is BAD. If Tepper really feels this way and is STILL bringing Rhule back, it's over y'all. This owner doesn't care enough about winning to let it eat into his bottom line.

Yeah, I and don't understand the "expect 2022 to be his last year" line?  If that is already the verdict, than why tf are we bringing him back?  It's a complete waste of a season and pointless.  So, again, if this is the decision Tepper is making, he has decided to punt an entire year of time, assets, resources, etc., to only be in a worst position in 2023.  It makes absolutely zero sense.  He just doesn't care about winning if that is the case.

And to piggyback off another point Person made in the article about Rhule's credibility in the locker room - I have seen and heard things guys like Reddick and Walker have said about him, when asked THIS YEAR, and I have always prided myself on my ability to read non-verbal cues and body language.  I consider it a gift...  pairing that with the words they actually said, and they actually seem very uncomfortable in their relationships with him.  At the very least, they seem cold and distant.  Not the type of feelings you would expect for cornerstones of your college programs who made it to the pros to feel towards their coach who has been with them in both levels.  I mentioned it before, but I was watching a Panthers Huddle episode from the preseason some months back now, and they had a clip from a presser with PJ, and he was asked what it was like to play for Rhule in the pros and such...  and his answer was less than flattering.  He didnt intend for it to be that way.  In fact, he seemed very forthcoming, but it didn't come off well at all.  He said something along the lines of, "once the guys get here and get past all of the college stuff" they do fine.  That line stuck with me.  PJ has been with other pro teams.  He may have even been the league MVP in the XFL had they been allowed to finish their season....  he's seen how other pro organizations operate.  To say something like that about any pro coach is fairly damning, IMO.  And in general, when his college guys are asked about him, they seem like they prefer to avoid it and I haven't seen one vouch for his character or for him as a coach.  Cam is the only guy I have heard do it, and Cam would do it no matter who the coach is because that's who he is...

But the guys who have spent years and time with him, they don't seem all that loyal or attached to him.  When they have to answer questions about him, there seems to be an instant shift in their demeanor, like you would expect from someone when they genuinely don't like someone but they have to put up with them.  Now, why they would sign up to come play for him in the case of like Reddick?  Idk, but I'm certain there is something there.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

Yet, Rhule is set to return in 2022. 

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports Panthers owner David Tepper is "unhappy and embarrassed" by the team's performance under head coach Matt Rhule. 

Rhule, who has lost 21 of his 31 games as Carolina's head coach, said this week that Tepper has “nothing but confidence about me and the future and moving forward." Often citing "the process," Rhule has preached patience with his underperforming Panthers, who have flailed wildly over the past year in search of a franchise quarterback. They inexplicably settled on Sam Darnold before the 2021 NFL Draft, only to see him flounder after a promising start to the season. Panthers players have reportedly grown deeply skeptical of Rhule's "process," criticizing his micromanaging approach to coaching. “The proof’s in the pudding,” said one veteran personnel official. “The product on the field is bad.” Expect 2022 to be Rhule's final year as Carolina's head coach barring a miraculous turnaround. 

Am I the only one who can’t read his posts?

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He hasn’t given him anything yet. Firing him now would just make it worse the next two weeks. 

Oh no I agree on that - this season is lost.  Just can't imagine him getting a third year. Hopefully it won't happen...

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’ll be honest, 3) makes me feel worse looking at it now. A bunch of those guys you listed may not ever be starters unless the regular starters are hurt. The rest aside from Horn and Chinn don’t seem likely to even be impact players or even average starters. I really hope a new coach can somehow raise the level of those guys but damn reading your list of talented rookie contract guys is kind of a downer.

Tremble and Gross-Matos are developing well, and we still don't really know in what we have in Christensen let alone Deonte Brown. Same thing with Nixon & Hoskins. Taylor has also looked good.

My biggest concern is the coaching staff being capable teachers and developing the clear talent that we have.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Oh no I agree on that - this season is lost.  Just can't imagine him getting a third year. Hopefully it won't happen...

I’m still not convinced he’s getting year 3. This article is very damaging and Rhule’s comments at his presser today just add more salt to the wound. Two more weeks of bad performances and loss of morale is more significant than people are giving it credit for. I think tepper might be forced to make a move even if that wasn’t his original plan. Things snowball fast in the NFL.

Edited by BIGH2001
  • Pie 1