• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers scouts high on Malik Willis

Zod

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Part of me thinks this age of running qbs is slowing down due to injuries.  We saw it with Cam, Kyler has been injured for 2 seasons now, Russell doesnt run as much, Mahomes got hurt running, RG3 ended his career running, same with Luck. 

Looking back on the past SB winners dont see many of these "mobile" speed guys making the game.

You definitely don’t want to constantly run them. Have them keep the defense honest and his arm can make them pay. It’s more of a way to slow down the game for them while they progress as a passer. Russ Wilson does it right like you stated. He kind of stopped running as much as he got older. I feel like most of Cam’s injuries cam from the pocket when he wasn’t expecting it. Which brings up the point we would definitely have to build an OL for him, which is why I won’t be mad if we don’t draft one and select OL like you want. 

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

His arm is pretty spectacular. Seems to have a good head on his shoulder and is gifted at avoiding pressure/throwing off the run. I’m not 100% sure it’s going to be Rhule’s call. If the scouts/McAdoo are reporting he is the best of the bunch and Tepper hears it. 
Someone also mentioned Fitts wanting to sit with Cam. If he is interested in a mentor role, it would really be a nice scenario for a QB like Willis. You can even run a similar offense.

Willis isn’t as raw as people are making him out to be. Does he need work as a passer? Sure. His passing stats in college look as good if not better than Lamar’s as a whole. A smart QB with a good work ethic that has a rocket arm and can run with the ball can be deadly in this league. 

Yeah, he made some great throws on film. Physically he just needs to work on his footwork in the pocket, which is what I think Mcadoo worked on with Eli that helped him progress for those couple years. Reading NFL Defenses is probably his biggest question mark. Maybe he picks it right up, maybe he struggles with it. Seemed like a bright guy at the combine

• Pie 1

Willis is built like a tank and has the cannon arm to match. He can connect deep and his throws have high velocity and look effortless. He can still let one rip when he's on the run from an awkward position. He's tough to bring down as well due to his powerful body. However, football is also about the mental side of the game, and we have no idea if he can figure out how to play in the pros. Sam didn't. It can happen to anyone. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Willis is built like a tank and has the cannon arm to match. He can connect deep and his throws have high velocity and look effortless. He can still let one rip when he's on the run from an awkward position. He's tough to bring down as well due to his powerful body. However, football is also about the mental side of the game, and we have no idea if he can figure out how to play in the pros. Sam didn't. It can happen to anyone. 

He had one good rushing game game against p5 opponents in the past 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He had one good rushing game game against p5 opponents in the past 2 years. 

Yeah you need some blockers to run against P5 opponents. Also he didn’t play too many P5 teams right? He looked good against Syracuse and put on a show against VA Tech. Looked good against Syracuse a 2nd time (mainly throwing 200 yards 3 TDs 0 INTs). Looked bad against NC State and the first half of Ole Miss. 

46 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Part of me thinks this age of running qbs is slowing down due to injuries.  We saw it with Cam, Kyler has been injured for 2 seasons now, Russell doesnt run as much, Mahomes got hurt running, RG3 ended his career running, same with Luck. 

Looking back on the past SB winners dont see many of these "mobile" speed guys making the game.

Russ wasn't a runner he was great at scrambling and extending a pass play. Mahomes got beat up in the pocket as of late. RG3 was abused no doubt and that's why no QB with a choice wants to go to Washington. Luck took a bad beating behind some bad olines. You are extremely against QB's that are even remotely considered mobile. We get it by now every thread is the same take. There's plenty of time between now and the draft and odds are more likely that we don't take Willis than we do but if people want to discuss it have at it. All this hand wringing about mobile QB's is just becoming numbskullery. We may very well give up the farm for one in Watson. Accept it or maybe check some other teams out idk.

Edited by frankw

Well, they can't exactly come out and say that although he is a great athlete with a strong arm, the lack of experience against decent competition and overall inaccuracy means that he should be considered as a late 1st round prospect for a team with a veteran already in place to give him time to learn the pro game before starting as they'd be accused of being something terrible. I absolutely do not believe for a minute that they intend to draft Willis at 6. The media do this every season now. They over hype a super athletic QB with great potential but really raw skills. Some team will get caught up by it for sure like the 49ers did last season and we saw that they reached badly. Carolina passed on Fields at 8 last season and he was a better option at this point than Willis is. I expect us to draft Pickett personally as he is the most experienced and checks all the boxes. The only real negative about him is his hands. I'm not sure if Rhule has the same issue with that as he does with arms' length but that would be the only way I'd see us passing on him at 6 if he's there.  

Just now, Panthers Rhule said:

Carolina passed on Fields at 8 last season and he was a better option at this point than Willis is. I expect us to draft Pickett personally as he is the most experienced and checks all the boxes.

Pickett checks all the boxes but Willis isn't even an option? Man ten years later and this stuff still hasn't changed 😂

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Go back and watch Fields dismantle Clemson's defense in the playoffs and then honestly try to tell me Willis has a higher ceiling. Y'all musta forgot.

I've heard Willis compared to Cam Newton, Justin Fields and Russell Wilson.

All three were significantly better college players than Willis.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Nah, I trust the FO and their evaluations.  It's what happens once Rhule has a chance to use their acquisitions that ruins everything.

Brother you have more faith than I in this band of misfits.  I would chalk it up to luck more than skill.  But it beats the hell out of the alternative. 

• Pie 1