• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense may be decimated

Jmac

This defense was great when they were aggressive and attacked the passer

Horrible in containing the run

Horrible in stopping the run up the middle

Horrible in defending a lead

Horrible in defending the underneath pass

Horrible in defending the seams

Horrible in stopping an offense on 3rd down

Horrible in forcing turnovers

We have seen the Panthers field a college one trick pony defense. Teams would just let the Panthers coaches think they were in control since they would slow the game down and keep it close for 3 quarters. Then the opposing team would open up and take control with a few drives remaining in the game. Rhule and company never adjusted to this. I doubt they figured out what they were doing and how easy they made it for seasoned coaches to take advantage of their game plans and out coach them at the end of the game.

6 hours ago, ncfan said:

Panthers Defense from this past year

Jones ->FA
Derrick Brown -> rumored in trade
Fox-> Cut
Reddick->FA
Shaq
Jermaine Carter->FA
Burns->Rumored in Trade
Bouye->Cut
Djax->FA
Gilmore->FA
Burris->FA
Chinn-> Rumored in trade
Horn->coming off injury

We're going to be the Expos to the Mariners of the 1990s. Houston wins three super bowls with that defense and Darnold on offense just to poo on tepper's life even more. i'd love it. Meanwhile Watson has career ending injury because he hasn't played in a year and our line is swiss cheese besides the guard we just signed. We sign trade for Teddy by week 4.

If the 2021 defense had carried us into the playoffs or something I'd lament losing some pieces. Good teams beat the holy jeebus out of our defense. The ran it right down our throat for huge gains, and when they got bored with running they aired it out all over the field. That's what we have to keep together? That's what you're dying to watch next season? 5 wins and our defense getting raped unless the other team is terrible?

I know why Huddlers are like this about the Panthers. It's that Jon Fox and Ron Rivera aftertaste that has Panthers fans hooked on LBs and tough run defense. It comes from 90's football when you'd win the division by beating Tampa Bay 9 to 3. That crap is OVER. You air it out to win now. *** a LBer. Stop it. We have to be able to AIR IT OUT.

Honestly the only defenders I'm scared to lose are Horn & Chinn. Horn since he has lockdown CB potential, and Chinn frankly because he's a favorite. I don't like him at SS and want him back in his rookie role, but whatever. 

Burns is close to getting PAID to still suck against the run & miss half his sacks going for the FF. Brown has flashed, but also gotten benched. If we come out of the trade only losing those 2, I'm happy dancing. 

• Pie 1

I think Horn has this legendary status like he's Dion Sanders or something around here. In college if Horn got isolated on a really good WR the WR would blow past him. Horn would grab the WR around the waste and hold on for dear life. They didn't call much of his pass interference in college. In the pros the flags will be flying when we face top aerial attack teams. They're not going to let Horn hold like that. That's why you don't place your hopes on Horn locking down elite WRs in the pros. You have an aerial attack of your own for he doesn't have to try and do more than he can.

Not a popular opinion. But so what, defense last season was overrated for what they were. Brown and Burns are overrated based on production and Shaq is inconsistent at times.

only player on defense I feel 100% on is Jeremy Chinn. Other than that they are all trade-able to me. 

(Horn may be the other but I have to see that he isn’t made of glass)

Looks like Rhule is finally in control. No more trying to be average. Full rebuild. Starting with the staff. All hard nosed guys. We're transitioning to power. No more gimmicks. Let's go. 

If we do actually trade for Watson, which I don't want, I will keep my promise to change my name. Come at me Panthers. I know what I'm gonna do. What'cha gonna do??? 

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Poo 1