• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Watson Thread - Part Deux

Zod

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He's worth $5M to someone as a backup at the least

Why? I'd honestly rather take a shot at a mid-round rookie than give Darnold $5M as a backup. If you're playing Darnold you're already fuged anyway so if you're gonna be fuged it might as well be by someone on a cheap rookie contract with the possibility of developing into something. Darnold is proven certified trash.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Mage said:

Someone questioned earlier if we've seen Watson rise to the occasion on a competitive team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhocS3rln0

Imagine having a 26-year old capable of making plays like that

By the way, that Bills defense?  2nd in the league in points allowed that season. Same Bills team that went 13-3 the following year.

Some of ya'll really are sleeping on Deshaun. 

And yeah, he had Hopkins in Houston... but in Carolina, it would easily be the best skill position group he's ever thrown to.  The numbers he would put up would be stupid.

Damn I really want this man. Honestly I think I've forgotten how special he was too.  

I remmeber watching this game and was like wtf...... how did he escape that?!

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Sheena Marie says if we land Watson she doubts Darnold is in the deal. WTH Houston take him pleaseeee

I've honestly been thinking about this, and if they won't take him, we need to find whichever team is furthest under the cap and do an NBA style trade.  Offer them a pick(s) to take on his contract, they can then waive him/buy him out and be done with it while picking up a draft pick in the process.

• Beer 1

Watson had over 400 yards and 3 touchdowns in his first AFC Championship game at 24 years old.

Texans likely win that game if they play anyone but the Mahomes-led Chiefs.

Question the compensation, question the fit, but there should be no question about what Watson could do when tasked with taking a contending team where they want to go.  The boy is SPECIAL.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 5

3 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

If thePanthers planned on drafting left tackle this year and a quarterback next year that will be two of the first rounders.
Another thing to consider is if we have no intention of resigning Brian Burns and it’s best to get value out of him now. It is better to get higher value now than to just let him walk in free agency later .

The only true loss would be Jeremy Chinn since he has the most upside potential for being a pro bowler within a year or so.

Every indication I've seen is that Burns is absolutely in our long-term plans. Trading for Watson doesn't do anything for LT. 

This whole Watson Saga reminds me of when the Hornets kept pursing Gordon Hayward for like ever. Ever since he was a RFA with the Jazz the Hornets did EVERYTHING possible to acquire him. When he did went to Boston I'm pretty sure they try to trade for him once or twice, and when he did finally come here (overpay no less) he's been nothing but inured all the time and ultimately hasn't moved the needle for this team much. If we do get Watson I hope it don't go down like this. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ENCPantherfan2 said:

This whole Watson Saga reminds me of when the Hornets kept pursing Gordon Hayward for like ever. Ever since he was a RFA with the Jazz the Hornets did EVERYTHING possible to acquire him. When he did went to Boston I'm pretty sure they try to trade for him once or twice, and when he did finally come here (overpay no less) he's been nothing but inured all the time and ultimately hasn't moved the needle for this team much. If we do get Watson I hope it don't go down like this. 

Does Watson have a tremendous injury history like GH? 

1 minute ago, ENCPantherfan2 said:

Eh, I never thought Hayward was all that good.  Well not as good as some people were hyping him up to be.  

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every indication I've seen is that Burns is absolutely in our long-term plans. Trading for Watson doesn't do anything for LT. 

If the Panthers are willing to trade him then obviously he is not. He is also from the past regime of Rivera and Hurney and may not fit the mold of the DE they need for the defense. With the defensive issues they had against the run this year maybe it’s something they’re reconsidering. So that they have a player that can play the pass (maybe not as effective as Brian) and also play the run well. This is an opportunity to get high value for a player that may not fit what they’re going to do going forward. 

Edited by Monrowed