• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watson Watch Day 4 - The Finale

Zod

6 minutes ago, mwa78 said:

This place has become unbearable. Many of you have gone WAY overboard with your criticism of Tepper. This looks like it is a definite swing and miss but at least we have an owner now who is willing to play ball. I don't think he is going to stop until he gets us a legit QB but it could be a little painful along the way.

I also cannot take anyone serious who thinks the answer is to draft a QB at # 6 that in a normal year, would not even be a first round draft pick.

Tepper sucks.

• Poo 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So if Watson goes to New Orleans after they just extended and guaranteed the contracts of a bunch of "over 30" players, if they have given up draft picks and possibly a few defensive players, and Watson is suspended for 6 games, then it is likely this move is for 2023.  These "over thirty" players are then untradable, uncutable, and there will be no pipeline to replace them.  As soon as 2024 they will start feeling the effects of having a bunch of overpaid, over-the-hill veterans on the roster in their mid 30s. 

It just does not make sense.

No it doesn’t make sense it’s truly a bad move for them. I guess in someway we should be happy that he goes to New Orleans because he’s really gonna cripple them. Unless, they don’t surrender the picks that were rumored to be required for the transaction.

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

We're not getting Watson?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

On top of all my personal feelings about Watson which I won't belabor here, the amount of draft capital money he would cost would have hamstrung this team for the better half of a decade. We aren't close to contending. We have bad pieces, and bringing in one good piece isn't going to elevate the entire team.

Rebuild the line, use the draft picks we're keeping to add developmental talent, roll with Sam, and leave our team in better shape for the next regime to take over next year.

The problem with that is, that is what's best for the Panthers franchise, we're talking about what's gonna save Rhule's job. I feel like he's gonna do something desperate in response. 

1 minute ago, ENCPantherfan2 said:

The problem with that is, that is what's best for the Panthers franchise, we're talking about what's gonna save Rhule's job. I feel like he's gonna do something desperate in response. 

You don't want Rhule anyway, right?

15 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Why would the Raiders allow you to take their franchise QB for a reasonable price?

They have been quietly shopping him already. The reasons i have discovred from reading about it on the raider reddit and their fansided is the following":

1. Last year of his contract
2. Due a big extension
3. Wasnt a Macdaniels drafted QB

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ENCPantherfan2 said:

I'm hopeful the FA signings (which have more of a Fitterer/Morgan feel to them than Rhule's last offseason) indicates that Rhule has lost personnel control and we can make our draft picks for the long-term good of the franchise and not saving Rhule's job in 2022.

2 minutes ago, Monty83 said:

As a new owner, Tepper made some critical errors - 1) he did not hire a seasoned GM right away to navigate the NFL waters, 2) he hired a college coach without a lot of professional ties to be the HC, who 3) hired a college OC and DC without the pro pedigree either. We are an NFL franchise run by college guys. And outside of Brady’s Burrow stint, not even prominent college guys. 

Not only does the league probably not respect us, I know our connections and contacts must suck. And when you do that you MUST be successful on the field. You can’t give years and hope they figure it out. And you certainly can’t show up to court a Top 5 QB and think you’re gonna land him, even if you are holding the biggest bag. I’m sure Watson’s folks did their research and were like, “they don’t have real football people in place for us to be successful. Cam probably told them as much.

”You ain’t gotta get ready if you stay ready.” We showed up to the dance not ready EVEN AFTER a year. Still not ready. That’s unforgivable.

This is a great summary, kudos.

Like other egotistical dipshits in his field of finance, he really thought he could stroll into the NFL and disrupt decades of networks, hierarchy and precedent and outsmart the rest of the league.  And of course it went down as a massive failure because running the rent-seeking business model of Appaloosa Management doesn't actually prepare you for any real skills building something

• Flames 2