• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is the second best tackle/left tackle in franchise history?

Proudiddy

Was just sitting here pondering this question, because of the potential that we may get a franchise bookend in the draft and outside of Gross, it's kind of been a potluck of OK in the past.

Brockermeyer, Steussie, Oher?  My vote would probably be Steussie off the top of my head because he was part of what was likely the best OL we ever fielded, even though I seem to recall him struggling a bit with penalties as his tenure wore on here.  Regardless, I guess the point is, the list is not very impressive and in the past, perhaps in my immaturity, I was just always so put off by drafting an OLineman in the 1st round, especially early, because I feel like that's where you need a franchise impact playmaker...  but, after watching our once in a lifetime, franchise QB get the poo beat out of him until it essentially made him a shell of himself as a passer, I'm not gonna lie...  I really like Willis, Corral, and Howell at the QB spot at various points in the draft, but if we decide to take one of these LTs at 6, it will be the first time ever I have been excited about taking a OL with our first rounder.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Either Byron Bell or Nate Chandler

But in all seriousness, I would say Oher.  He came in and instantly gave us what we had been missing in that position, did more than we could’ve asked for.  That damn concussion man.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, pantherj said:

Otah was one of the best run blocking RTs I've ever seen, and he's a big reason double trouble got those huge contracts.

I remember him getting his hands on his man and pushing him basically to the far sideline on a running play in his first preseason.  I don't remember the team but it was their first team defense.

He was dominant when he was healthy, a prototype mauler of a right tackle.  Sucks he was another NFL coulda been if it wasn't for injuries.

e: I think it was against the Colts, just looked up the preseason schedule from 08.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield
wrong position

Pretty depressing topic. Aside from Jordan Gross they all were very mediocre and sucked at times. Bell, Steussie, Oher, Chandler? They all had me pulling my hair out for way too many games.

There is a direct correlation between having a good offensive line and sustained success in the NFL. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 1

Clarence Jones

That 1999 offense was electric. Beuerlein had the time to put up yards with Muhammad, Jeffers, and Walls. They ran off of Clarence Jones effectively with any RB. Made Biakabatuka look superhuman until he got hurt again and again and again. Putting up 30 to 40 points game after game.

That 1999 season tends to be forgotten because they came up short of the playoffs. Couldn't beat Washington, Lions, or Rams that year - the Rams miracle SB season. Defense let the Panthers down.

• Beer 3