• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How will you feel if we PASS on a LT in round one…..

WarPanthers89

Beyond furious

There isn't a QB worth taking at 6 and there are 3 LT's worth taking there with at least one of them, if not multiple, likely to be there when we're on the clock.

Next to QB, having an elite LT can be the biggest difference maker a team can have.  I don't want a vet, I don't want Becton who can't stay healthy, give me a rookie who can be our starter at LT for the next 10-12 years.

The only other acceptable decision to me is to trade down to the 12-14 range to pick up additional picks and still come away with Penning, anything else and I'll be the most disappointed I've been with our first round pick in a long, long time.

• Pie 2

It really depends on who they take. For example, if Thibodeaux or Walker are available at six, then I could understand us drafting one of them to pair with Burns. I could even understand if we decide to select Gardner or Stingley to upgrade our secondary. They are all value picks sixth overall. Ok, there are potential franchise left tackles that could be on the board then, but there are also pro ball caliber talents from other positions too. 

The only time I’d be annoyed is if they reach for someone or trade up for a quarterback in this year’s class. But even then, I could understand their desire to get their guy, even though I wouldn’t necessarily be happy or agree with giving up assets for them.

It depends on what it is we are getting in exchange. In your scenario we are still getting a good tackle but maybe we gets Thibs? I’d take that. 

But the truth is this franchise has ignored top end talent at LT for so many years in the draft I almost feel like the team owes it to the fans, and more importantly, it’s QBs. 

I find it hard to believe Cross and Neal will both be gone when we pick. Why not draft one of them and you can still sign a LT to help groom them because we obviously don’t do a great job of coaching up the line. 

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think the thought of sitting on their hands during day 2 will cause them to leave Neal or Cross on the board, trade back, and grab a lesser OL like Penning.  Then they might trade up for Howell---if the QBs fall, and I think they will---we could be looking at something like that.

It bothers me because both could bust.  We have never had good luck with small school OL here, and if Howell busts, there goes what could be a decade of LT bliss.

I could see it playing out like this.  I hope it's less of an option if Cross is still on the board.  But if Cross and Ikem are off and it's only Neal there maybe explore a trade down.   Trade with Philly.  15 and 19 for our 6 pick.  Then a combo of Penning and Howell.  Or a double down on oline.  Penning and Zion. That second option is only cause Zion is my guard crush of the year.  Him at LG or as a eventual center if Bozeman moves on would finally get some youth at oline.  

9 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

To fill another need on the team (QB, DE, etc) But sign this man to a 2 year contract…..honest opinions only. GO………

E36E326C-E62E-4F62-A9A3-133AA3EBBA7F.jpeg

1D119AC7-BCEC-4CA7-BE4E-3F3576334A91.jpeg

Draft a left tackle please. When you sign a tackle at 46, 37 years old you are more likely to get a broken down Russell Okung or Matt Khalil than you are a Whitworth. Then you are looking for a tackle again after kicking the can down the road in a year. Failure to draft the best available Left Tackle in this draft will be an absolute failure. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1