Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

The way too early look at the final 53


Recommended Posts

There isn't much going on this time of the year so I figured I would post. There are going to be some interesting position battles this year. This is what I currently see as the final 53. (I know people will be upset I put Corral behind Walker but ya know "Temple" and such). Some of the top battles this year will be:

CB

Will likely keep 4-6. Current CBs are-Barnes, Harper, Henderson, Horn, Jackson, Melvin, Taylor, Thomas-Oliver, Westry.

Safety

Will likely keep 4-5. Currents Safeties are-Woods, Robinson, Franklin, Chinn, Chandler, Burris.

Offensive Line

Will likely keep 8-10. Current OL are-Bozeman, Brown, Christensen, Corbett, Daley, Ekwonu, Elflein, Erving, Horton, Jordan, Mays, Miller, Moton, Pleasants, Tecklenburg.

Defensive Tackle

Could keep 4-5. Current DTs are- Brown, Hoskins, Roy, Ioannidis, McCall, Nixon, Tuioti-Mariner.

Wide Receiver

Could keep anywhere from 4-7. Years past have kept 5. Current WRs are-Zylstra, Wright, Smith, Saunders, Roberts, Rambo, Parchment, Moore, Marshall, Limu-Jones, Higgins, Henry, Anderson.

Not much competition at LB or DE which is scary.

 

image.png.71eaa8c779ce7099b752f3d6a225bfeb.png

  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this team had a different owner and coach, I'd say this roster looks like it's on the rise and could be in for a 2002-like Step 1 of a turnaround. But because they're hamstrung by Rhule and an Adderall-less Tepper, it's tougher to say that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If this team had a different owner and coach, I'd say this roster looks like it's on the rise and could be in for a 2002-like Step 1 of a turnaround. But because they're hamstrung by Rhule and an Adderall-less Tepper, it's tougher to say that.

True, but I feel like Wilkes, Campen, and McAdoo will bring much needed experience and professionalism. Hopefully it’s enough to bring some wins home.

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our OL looks SO much better than last year. I’ll give credit where credit it due. Their top goal was to address the OL and they absolutely did. That in itself should make us more competitive as they gel and develop throughout the season. I’m hoping another WR like Shi or Rambo steps up and gets some playing time as well. We seem to have a decent roster while thin at a few spots. Next year will be a big offseason. Aside from the QB situation there isn’t too many weaknesses. LB and DT could still get filled in as teams make cuts this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, Cdparr7 said:

This is what I currently see as the final 53.

Love the write up, perfect for this time of year. I only count 52 players though; maybe add an extra WR or S. I could see Franklin grabbing a spot on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 7:13 PM, Wolfcop said:

Offensive line improved so much in a year. Night and day difference, on paper at least. Campen should maximize potential, too. 

It’s not really that hard as some people think. When you let guys like Norwell R. Kalil and Turner go, you need to refill. When your 2018-2020 moves are adding guys coming off bad injuries like Daryl Williams (sign him a year later like the Bills), Paradis and Okung, guys who were never good like Erving and Elflein and draft late/reach for guys no one else liked in the draft like Little, Daley, Brown and BC, it’s not surprising the OL fell apart.

All we did this year was sign OL who were good with their prior teams and draft the consensus top tackle. Wow, revolutionary results. Draft top OL, don’t reach and don’t ignore good OL in the draft. Also, don’t sign FA rejects. Who would have thought that could work?

I really do hope they gel and someone steps forward and just seizes the open G spot.

Edited by stbugs
  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s not really that hard as some people think. When you let guys like Norwell R. Kalil and Turner go, you need to refill. When your 2018-2020 moves are adding guys coming off bad injuries like Daryl Williams (sign him a year later like the Bills), Paradis and Okung, guys who were never good like Erving and Elflein and draft late/reach for guys no one else liked in the draft like Little, Daley, Brown and BC, it’s not surprising the OL fell apart.

All we did this year was sign OL who were good with their prior teams and draft the consensus top tackle. Wow, revolutionary results. Draft top OL, don’t reach and don’t ignore good OL in the draft. Also, don’t sign FA rejects. Who would have thought that could work?

I really do hope they gel and someone steps forward and just seizes the open G spot.

Sounds easy enough but our team was hamstrung for the last two years with insane amounts of deadcap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

Sounds easy enough but our team was hamstrung for the last two years with insane amounts of deadcap.

So? We created the dead cap with bad decisions. All we had to do is realize we weren’t going for a title the past two years and we could have saved well over $100M on mediocre vets. We had tons of cap space and keeping Short for an extra year, extending Robby a year before we had to, guaranteeing Sam’s 5th year, signing Teddy, freeing up cap space by trading Turner only to except a bigger contract obligation for a guy who missed more than half the year after missing most of the year before and many other things were our own fault. Even then we were fine cap wise. We wasted $23M on Erving and Elflein and signed Robby and Thomas to $46M, more than double what we spent on Corbett and Bozeman ($32M)

We could have fixed almost all our issues for TMJ and a long snapper last year. Then just draft Iky and sign Corbett and your starting 5 is locked for years. We did well this off-season but we still need someone to fill the hole at G and Bozeman is a 1 year deal. Humphrey over TMJ would have locked that spot for at least 3 more years.

Your assertion about deaf cap had nothing to do with not fixing our OL until this year. The only thing we had to do was actually make a real attempt to fix it. We tried worn out band aids and a shiny toy that everyone else, including most of the huddle, knew was broken. Again, when we decided to try, it was easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 11:25 AM, Cdparr7 said:

There isn't much going on this time of the year so I figured I would post. There are going to be some interesting position battles this year. This is what I currently see as the final 53. (I know people will be upset I put Corral behind Walker but ya know "Temple" and such).

Nice writeup.

I think PJ will end up being stashed on the practice squad. He is on a vet min contract and would have made far more if the team felt like they needed to go the RFA route to keep him. It seems both he and the team understand his role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...