• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Jonathan Alexander, Browns were willing to eat 50% of Bakers salary($9m) and Panthers said no. Apparently, the max we want to take is $5m, playing hardball with them.

Julio

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Uh yea…we don’t have a BB. 

Imagine Mac as a rookie with Rhule.

We don't need BB to tell what type of QB that Corral can become. If anything that's going to be more on Ryan and McAdoo, and of course Corral. 

I think there's merit in sitting, but also in taking your lumps and playing. I believe that you have to take these things on a case by case basis and let a young man's development determine when he's ready to play. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Uh yea…we don’t have a BB. 

Imagine Mac as a rookie with Rhule.

If Mac had played here as a rookie, he would have been benched and already labeled as a complete bust. The difference in Belicheat/Rhule is enormous enough before you add in the fact that we had a bottom 3 Oline while Mac played in NE behind a possible top 3 Oline. He also had a running game to hide his deficiencies as an NFL QB. 

Driven by a narrative from the media, Mac is already very much overrated. Take him from NE and place him in Carolina, and that doesn't happen with the media and as stated above, the situation would not have been friendly to Mac.

Edited by TheProcess

I want Corral to play not because I think he can have a rookie season like herbert, but because  of the much better qb class coming in. Would like to know what have instead of ending up in a daniel jones situation. We have already had enough setbacks. 

not saying start him week 1, but i wanna see him at some point.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

28 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

I want Corral to play not because I think he can have a rookie season like herbert, but because  of the much better qb class coming in. Would like to know what have instead of ending up in a daniel jones situation. We have already had enough setbacks. 

not saying start him week 1, but i wanna see him at some point.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN
I think this sums it up. 

My heart says baker gives us a better shot at winning so go team.  My head says baker hides the warts for another year and delays the inevitable.   

I want to roll with what we’ve got. See what Corral gives us and address next year if/when needed. 

• Pie 2

17 hours ago, mc52beast said:

I honestly don’t understand why you draft Corral with Sam on the team and then sign Baker as well. This would literally mean that Corral sees little to no playing time and we go into 23 not knowing what we have.

I would assume Darnold is not on the team if they get Baker

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

how is this a problem? QBs sit for a couple of years all the time. give him a year or two to master the playbook

The talk is that next year’s qb draft class is loaded with talent. If we finish on the top 10, it would be nice to have the best read we can get on Corral to see if he flashes enough potential or not. I think people are worried he will sit all year and we won’t have any idea if he is the guy or not and pass on a possible blue chip QB because we want to see what we have in Corral. If he plays some games we should get a good enough read to see if we want to move forward with Corral as our guy or draft another one. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I would assume Darnold is not on the team if they get Baker

Walker would be the one cut.  Danold's money is guaranteed, therefore, he either beats out Baker or he's a solid QB2.  Corral isn't starting this year, Baker or no Baker.  Even if we do not trade for Baker and Darnold is an absolute dumpster fire, unless he's injured, Corral only would maybe see the final few games of the year.  The only way Corral gets any significant playing time this year is if we don't land Baker, Darnold sustains a significant injury early on and PJ Walker is completely ineffective over a stretch of a few games.  Then and only then would we see Corral as the starter. 

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Walker would be the one cut.  Danold's money is guaranteed, therefore, he either beats out Baker or he's a solid QB2.  Corral isn't starting this year, Baker or no Baker.  Even if we do not trade for Baker and Darnold is an absolute dumpster fire, unless he's injured, Corral only would maybe see the final few games of the year.  The only way Corral gets any significant playing time this year is if we don't land Baker, Darnold sustains a significant injury early on and PJ Walker is completely ineffective over a stretch of a few games.  Then and only then would we see Corral as the starter. 

Yeah, Rhule bias or not, Walker would definitely be the odd man out.

I don't see the rationale in it, even at $5M, mostly because Mayfield's contract is also up after 2022.  IF the plan was to bring Corral along/evaluate him over two years and Mayfield's deal had, say, 2 years at $15M or so, maybe it would make sense.  But, there are a lot of IFs in that statement and we would have four QBs entering training camp with only Corral under contract beyond this season.

Seems like the better move is to roll with what we have unless a vet can be had on the cheap for longer than just 2022.  Evaluate the QBs available in the draft and vets that are available to fill out the QB room next offseason.

Unless somebody thinks this teams is realistically a playoff contender in 2022 and Mayfield is the guy who can make that happen, it seems to just muddy the waters.

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, mc52beast said:

I honestly don’t understand why you draft Corral with Sam on the team and then sign Baker as well. This would literally mean that Corral sees little to no playing time and we go into 23 not knowing what we have.

You dont draft a qb in the third round expecting them to see the field their rookie season.