• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Henderson

ncfan

1 hour ago, therealmjl said:

Meh. He doesn’t really have the desire to be great.

I agree that he probably doesn't love the game that much but some players have that desire to get PAID, this season for CJ will have a huge impact on how much his value in the NFL is worth.

23 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He's still in year 3 of his contract, I doubt even if he plays well next year they'll think he's worth the 5th year option for that high of a pick. He might pick things up and play well, just seems essentially like a 2 year rental. For reference Jags took LB Chad Muma with our 3rd round pick, and Nakobe Dean was also still available, those both seem like better long term investments for your "brand/process"

CB is more of a premium position than LB lately.  Dean is probably going to take a year to get healthy.  Henderson has all the physical tools an elite CB needs, he just needs to put it all together mentally.  If Wilks can teach him then we will be happy to have only given up a 3rd for him.  The DJax contract does make me think they aren't all in on Henderson though...

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

How do you figure?  How could they know at the time they made that trade what Donte might be thinking as far as his value?  If CJ turns into a starting CB, we can flip him for better than what we paid.

In a league that values passing so much, having three good CB's is never a problem.  Teams are playing nickel packages somewhere between 60 and 70 percent of the time.

CJ becoming a starter can only benefit us in every way.  It's a question of whether he does or not.

We already knew we were going to try to resign Donte and let’s be honest, no one on the team was blowing up enough to be unaffordable. We also traded for Gilmore too and I assumed thought about resigning him. Giving up pick 70 for CJ was a bad move. Even if he’s good enough to be the nickel, you don’t pick a nickel at 70. If he doesn’t start, a real risk when we acquired him, the. It was a complete waste. It’s like the Robby deal or the Darnold trade and picking up the 5th. We were basically bidding against ourselves and rushing to do these deals with players other teams wouldn’t have done the deals or trades for but we’re desperate. That’s why draft picks are even more valuable to us. We aren’t a FA destination so the draft means more.

• Beer 2

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The DJax contract does make me think they aren't all in on Henderson though...

Don’t forget we also made the Gilmore trade after we had CJ a few weeks.

1 hour ago, AceMan said:

I expect CJ to be traded mid-season after Keith Taylor takes that 2nd/3rd CB spot

Very excited for Taylor. He looked like a steal. Had some rookie moments but the good and flashes of potential far outweighed the bad. From a CB producing program as well.

• Beer 2

Physically he has all the tools to be a #1 CB. I think it's the mental side of the game that is holding him back. If he catches on to our defense he can be dominant. If he doesn't then he won't be offered a second contract.

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We already knew we were going to try to resign Donte and let’s be honest, no one on the team was blowing up enough to be unaffordable. We also traded for Gilmore too and I assumed thought about resigning him. Giving up pick 70 for CJ was a bad move. Even if he’s good enough to be the nickel, you don’t pick a nickel at 70. If he doesn’t start, a real risk when we acquired him, the. It was a complete waste. It’s like the Robby deal or the Darnold trade and picking up the 5th. We were basically bidding against ourselves and rushing to do these deals with players other teams wouldn’t have done the deals or trades for but we’re desperate. That’s why draft picks are even more valuable to us. We aren’t a FA destination so the draft means more.

CJ has upside and Donte is just overpriced now. Maybe we can unload him to a needy team if CJ steps up because if he does then he is heads and shoulders above Donte who is a little meh with speed. 

Edited by Waldo

He seems to have always gotten by on his athleticism. That doesn’t work in the NFL. Not sure he has the desire to do all the work off the field to improve. We shall see. 

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Don’t forget we also made the Gilmore trade after we had CJ a few weeks.

That's when we were extra stupid and thought we were a playoff team.  Gilmore was to replace Horn after he got hurt.   

• Beer 1

58 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You can't second guess against value like that, it's unfair.  At the time they made the trade, it wasn't pick 70.  It could have been pick 96!  At the time, the FO was talking playoffs - right or wrong.  They were thinking that pick was going to be mid 80's at best.

This is nothing like the Anderson or Darnold deals.  Anderson got paid for a career year while Coach 1000 was in full command.  Yes, that was a bad deal.  Darnold had no consistently good tape on him.  Yes, he could make some eye popping plays, but those were both good and horrible plays.  That was a bad deal.  

There was good tape on CJ Henderson, and the appearance was that he had fallen out of favor with the coaching staff.  He was highly coveted out of college, and we got him for a steal.  You also had to consider we just lost one starting CB for the year - and another left the same game with a foot injury which we didn't really know the extent of.

If you want to criticize the Gilmore trade, ok, I can kinda see that.  That one didn't make a lot of sense except in bringing a veteran to the room.  Great player, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure it was a trade we needed to make.