• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

former Panther Rashard Anderson dead at 45

Captain Morgan

he was a first round draft pick

Rashard Anderson, the most recent Jackson State football player to be selected in the first-round of the NFL Draft, has died, according to a school spokesperson.  

Anderson and receiver Sylvester Morris, were the first JSU duo to be selected in the NFL first round since Walter Payton and Robert Brazile in 1975. Morris went 21st overall to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2000. Anderson was selected 23rd overall by the Carolina Panthers. 

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/jackson-state/2022/07/13/rashard-anderson-former-nfl-first-rounder-jackson-state-dead-45/10051131002/

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I was always surprised at how he just faded into oblivion.  I was obviously much younger as a person and as a fan back then, obviously, but I remember feeling like he was impressive in the little time he played.  Then he got suspended and that was pretty much the end, because I didn't even know he got suspended AGAIN after the first suspension was up until I randomly thought about him and Googled him a year or two ago.  It seemed like local media never covered him or what happened to him after that initial suspension.  Really sad news to hear though...  RIP.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I was always surprised at how he just faded into oblivion.  I was obviously much younger as a person and as a fan back then, obviously, but I remember feeling like he was impressive in the little time he played.  Then he got suspended and that was pretty much the end, because I didn't even know he got suspended AGAIN after the first suspension was up until I randomly thought about him and Googled him a year or two ago.  It seemed like local media never covered him or what happened to him after that initial suspension.  Really sad news to hear though...  RIP.

Yep, very sad. RIP. I believe he was drafted around the same time that we drafted that DE from Nebraska who also had substance abuse issues in the first round. 

1 hour ago, PandaMan said:

Seems like there are a lot more deaths with NFL players recently.  RIP Rashard.  

Agreed. I feel like lately I'm reading about a lot of former NFL players dead before the age of 50. Some CTE related, but other just random deaths too. So sad.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, PandaMan said:

Seems like there are a lot more deaths with NFL players recently.  RIP Rashard.  

24/7 news cycle. I highly doubt it's more than usual.

Marion Barber actually died of heat stroke, Jaylon Ferguson took fake xanax pressed Chinese pills that were cut with fentanyl (available on the dark web en masse), and a few older dudes who lived long, natural lives.

3 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Agreed. I feel like lately I'm reading about a lot of former NFL players dead before the age of 50. Some CTE related, but other just random deaths too. So sad.

Who was CTE related? Demarious (sp?) Thomas had seizures that may or may not have been related but that's the only one. Out of thousands of former players and hundreds of thousands of former football players, the amount is less than statistically significant to make the claim. 

Sorry if that sounds insensitive but I'm a logical person who stays grounded despite media coverage through understanding statistics. If it happens once, and a few other guys are questionable, within a few years it seems like a lot. But in reality you have hundreds if not thousands of guys who leave the NFL and college football each year. So the reality isn't aligning with media coverage, as is the usual now.

Yellow journalism has returned. If you don't know the term, Google it.

• Beer 1