• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Prime time 89.

top dawg

Guess I’ll be that guy then. I think he’s unbearable to listen to. I’m not even one to ever complain about announcers but good lord, dude just starts talking without any direction of where he’s even trying to get to. That whole Baker “spade is a spade” monologue that kept getting interrupted and yet he still kept trying to finish, was absolutely terrible.

Smitty was a beast on the field and had some great one liners during his career. But he comes across as somebody who truly thinks he’s a philosopher. He did the same thing when Kyle Bailey interviews him on 610 back when they had a regular segment going. Just plain hard to listen to. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 6

6 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

First quarter when production screwed up and showed Al Holcomb with Steve Wilks name on the screen, and Smitty dropped a, "come on, we don't all look the same". Don't think the play-by-play guy knew how to react to that one. 

That was a great moment.  Love Smitty.

11 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

First quarter when production screwed up and showed Al Holcomb with Steve Wilks name on the screen, and Smitty dropped a, "come on, we don't all look the same". Don't think the play-by-play guy knew how to react to that one. 

Oh poo I missed that! That's hilarious!

What I love about Smitty is he not only has great knowledge of the game, he's not gonna mince words. He's gonna tell you what he thinks.  Broadcast football is by definition entertainment, and Smitty is easily the most entertaining option we've ever had doing color commentary. I agree that some of his comments can be awkward at times, but overall still miles better than the vast majority of color commentators and I'm excited to see how he grows into that role over time. Here's hoping he's our color guy for years and years to come.