• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More are starting to believe in the Panthers

Panthers Rhule

It's not just the Huddle that is slowly thawing and warming to the prospect of a better Panther's team this season but also people around the league. In another post we read the Execs see us around 10th but at NFL.com we do a little better. We ranked tied for 8th with 3 predicting we earn the final playoff spot.

T-8) Panthers (3) NO VOTES NO VOTES 3 VOTES: Bhanpuri, Filice, Rank

2022 NFL playoff predictions: Will Chiefs be dethroned in uber-competitive AFC West?

I think both groups are fair and correct even if I personally think we can win the South this season. 

• Pie 3

We've built a top-half of league roster that can be capable of winning ~10-9 games in a best case.  We're set up for a dead end; maybe finding a QB in Baker.  But Baker is most likely what we've seen from him, it's unlikely he'll become some 35 TD QB instantly for us so are we really gonna dish him $35+ mil next year? 

Mays put it best on The Athletic Football Pod; the Panthers have a middle of the league roster built with no plan, and to what end? He emphasized we'll be competent, entirely respectable this year, but "to what end" a few times and that it really doesn't seem like this regime has a plan in place.  Joked about Rhule talking about "establishing the run" then doing the opposite.  Outsiders see it. for what it is.  

Mike Sando asked him in what circumstance he could see Rhule staying? He said "the entire fabric of the universe needs to change" lol.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, joemac said:

I don’t understand that mindset. What does that even mean, “to what end?” The end is to be a good, well rounded football team, and win games. If Baker plays up to his potential he can be a franchise QB. And he threw 27 TDs his rookie year, so it’s not a huge stretch he could throw 5 or 6 more here and get above 30. IDK man. I guess I’m just pretty bullish on our chances this year.  I have watched the preparation for literally every single season of Panthers football since it’s inception, and I think I have a pretty good feel for when we’re gonna be decent and when we’re not. Obviously we’ve got some holes, as every team does, and obviously, historically Rhule has not been a great coach when it counts, but it is possible for things to chance and people to improve. I guess we will see what happens when the rubber meets the road very soon. 

Yup.  He's saying we're setting ourselves up to be competent rather than a contender.  So in a way, your bolded is correct.  Issue being, it may be a job saving approach rather than contender building approach and our build with him seems messy, reactive, and ill-planned.  However, you're right in that it doesn't mean he can't improve, if we win, people could change their tune on Rhule.  He was really liked after the AZ game his first year, and again after 3-0 last year.  

My biggest concern is we've been operating like a fringe/high-level contender with the way we've been throwing around our assets and not really seeing results/we keep stopping our own momentum.  

My memory gets fuzzy pre-99ish since I was 12ish and it's just hard to clearly think back on that long ago, but this team does look to be the best we've fielded in some time. So the experience of the new staff and experienced players may propel us to 9/10 wins.

I'll stay hopeful, but it's an odd spot to be in.  Rhule on the hot seat, Corral being our only QB signed on for 23, will need some roster movement/cap adjustments to make room for Baker, but he's still TBD. 

If we go 10-7 wildcard and he has a 4000/28TD/14INT type line, are we happy? I just don't know.  9-8 just miss out, Baker looks decent is the base line expectation considering this roster.  

Time will tell! Excited for the year regardless.

• Pie 1

The team is definitely the most talented it has been since maybe 2018. I do credit Fitterer for using creative methods to put talent on the roster. 

Aside from the play at QB and the run defense, my biggest concern, as it has been every year under Rhule, is the coaching staff. Rhule’s staffs have been routinely overmatched by experienced NFL coaches. Many opposing coaches have lambasted them for doing “college sh*t”. This season it’s still a patchwork collection of misfit coaches from around the NFL and college ranks.

It’s just become painfully obvious this regime is just throwing sh*t at the wall and hoping something sticks. Hopefully they got lucky and this group clicks. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It’s just become painfully obvious this regime is just throwing sh*t at the wall and hoping something sticks. Hopefully they got lucky and this group clicks. 

This is the concise core truth of the last 3 years.

Edited by saX man
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, saX man said:

Yup.  He's saying we're setting ourselves up to be competent rather than a contender.  So in a way, your bolded is correct.  Issue being, it may be a job saving approach rather than contender building approach and our build with him seems messy, reactive, and ill-planned.  However, you're right in that it doesn't mean he can't improve, if we win, people could change their tune on Rhule.  He was really liked after the AZ game his first year, and again after 3-0 last year.  

My biggest concern is we've been operating like a fringe/high-level contender with the way we've been throwing around our assets and not really seeing results/we keep stopping our own momentum.  

My memory gets fuzzy pre-99ish since I was 12ish and it's just hard to clearly think back on that long ago, but this team does look to be the best we've fielded in some time. So the experience of the new staff and experienced players may propel us to 9/10 wins.

I'll stay hopeful, but it's an odd spot to be in.  Rhule on the hot seat, Corral being our only QB signed on for 23, will need some roster movement/cap adjustments to make room for Baker, but he's still TBD. 

If we go 10-7 wildcard and he has a 4000/28TD/14INT type line, are we happy? I just don't know.  9-8 just miss out, Baker looks decent is the base line expectation considering this roster.  

Time will tell! Excited for the year regardless.

I would say that every team needs to be competent before they are a contender. That's like saying I'm going to shower without soap. First you need to buy the soap and then you shower. First you need to be competent and then you're a contender.

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

So we were nobodies first or second choice to win a wild card spot? There were 25 voters and only 3 think we'll grab the last wild card spot? They don't do a very good job of laying out this voting system

Yeah.  It’s weird. 

it still reflects us as one for the bottom teams in the NFC.  Just not the absolute gutter.

• Beer 2