• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has David Tepper been humbled?

NAS

One can only hope...

He made his billions making bold bets and feeling like the smartest man in the board room.  Now that he's fallen on his face with the Matt Rhule hire, one can only hope that he's learned his lesson as an NFL owner.  Throwing a 7 year highest paid contract at an unproven coach was just stupid and embarrassing.  He needs to cut his losses, eat humble pie, and acknowledge that he failed.  Maybe then we'll cut him a break and get behind him as he tries to find a real head coach. 

To be clear, this fan base has no faith left in Rhule, but it's not just because of wins and losses, everyone expected the team to struggle for a couple of years.   It's about the way he carries himself and runs the team, and the fact that the team is trending in the wrong direction in almost every aspect.  In short, he's an embarrassment to this organization.  Conversely, someone like Robert Salah is still struggling with wins and losses, but everyone acknowledges he carries himself with dignity, is doing the right things, has the respect of his players and coaches, and will eventually turn that organization around.  

Back to Tepper, I don't think he'll fire Rhule until Panthers are eliminated from the playoffs.  This will give him the leverage to cut his losses and acknowledge the failed experiment and hopefully have a clear plan on how he'll turn this organization around the right way.  This fan base deserves it. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

With this guy if he gets a winning coach/team he'll be back to dancing around the field like an asshole. As far as Saleh goes, he probably won't get 7 Jay Z years in the Jets building so not sure if he'll make it, but I'd much rather listen to his pressers and locker room speeches over Rhule at the very least. 

I don't think Tepper is actually dumb.  I think he takes risks.  And that often makes you look dumb. 

I generally believe him when he says he thought he knew a lot when he got to the NFL and realized he was wrong on a lot.  I believe the reporting he is embarrassed over what he did with Matt Rhule. 

I'm not sure he will ever be a good owner.  Jerry wasn't a great owner but Jerry was at least a football guy.  And i'm not talking about playing, I think Jerry legitimately wanted to win.  He loved football.  Tepper loves money.

But I while I do think Rhule should of been fired after year 2.  I guess there is some positive big picture about even if you are pretty sure you made a mistake to giving it legit shot before you move on.  I think future HC hires would look at how Tepper treated Rhule.  Giving him 3 years was more than fair opportunity.  Which is what guys want in a world where you can easily be gone after 1 or 2 seasons. 

But I fully expect this to be Rhule's last year.  I think the odds are actually hire Rhule leaves for a college gig in season pending the right one opens up.  But Tepper is a money guy.  And if Rhule has a 3rd straight 5 win season it will start to really spill over into the money.   Because a good percentage of the fanbase will be done w/ the team short term.  And then ego on top of it.  Tepper doesn't enjoy being the doofus and keeping Rhule after 3 goes beyond sensible/a real chance.  And I think both sides know what is coming pending a miracle season doesn't occur.  And we don't look like it is coming. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm not sure he will ever be a good owner.  Jerry wasn't a great owner but Jerry was at least a football guy.  And i'm not talking about playing, I think Jerry legitimately wanted to win.  He loved football.  Tepper loves money.

I think Tepper wants to win, he just thinks he can take shortcuts to get there by spending money on overhyped college coaches. 

I also don’t think Rhule will leave on his own and forfeit his contract and the money. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, NAS said:

I think Tepper wants to win, he just thinks he can take shortcuts to get there by spending money on overhyped college coaches. 

I also don’t think Rhule will leave on his own and forfeit his contract and the money. 

would you leave a job you were miserable at (and was making you look bad to future employers) for a job that paid you comparable money? 

I mean, he isn't going to quit without a good college job to go to.  But if one opens and they want him I suspect he will take off. 

I certainly don’t hate him for the Rhule hire. He was the hot coach, and it was nice seeing aggression going for the guy he wanted. 

I also don’t hate the contract length or amount. It’s entirely Tepper’s money. Who cares. 

I just disagree with keeping Rhule for year three. But to be fair these are human beings, and that’s easier for me to say outside looking in. 

Tepper might like Rhule man to man. Just like any “relationship” it’s tough to know when it’s over or needs to end while actually in it. 

That being said, if we suck again and he gets year four, I’m setting the building on fire. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1