• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Diamonds in the rough

Stuart Smith

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I saw Grier level results when every other rookie QB including 7th rounders were looking competent. Corral was literally the only rookie QB who looked that bad. Now he’s on IR and not even practicing. Sorry, but that’s not a good start. I’m not saying he’s done and has no shot, just that the odds appear to be very low compared to the hope right after the draft.

Also, Grier had some great college tape as well. Grier had a 539 yard, 4 TD and 0 interception game against #4 Oklahoma right before they lost to Alabama by 11 in the CFP. In 2021, Corral had two games of 3 or more TDs, Tulane and Austin Peay. Which of those two SEC games should I watch? In 2020, Corral had three 4 or more TD games in the SEC and those 3 teams finished 7-23 in conference.

Maybe Corral will surprise. Most likely we are drafting a 2023 1st round QB.

If college stats = great tape, then Ty Detmer is a hall of famer. 

Again, does our “best QB” with our best players around him look competent right now?

It’s just reactionary to think you can evaluate a rookie, 4th on the depth chart, in 3 quarters of preseason play his rookie year.

And I agree that we take a QB round 1 next year, but that doesn’t say much about Corral, but more about a new staff wanting to evaluate and develop their own rookie. Wouldn’t you want to pick your own QB you evaluated yourself?

26 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If we pick a QB in the first, Corral is a bust. We spent a 3rd and 4th to get him.

We aren’t evaluating Corral in 3 quarters of play, we are comparing him to other rookies, none of whom were 1st team players. He looked the worst and least ready to play in the NFL. We are extrapolating that it’s highly likely he’ll never be a good starter. It’s that simple. Malik Willis was considering far more raw and he’s looked so much better so far and in preseason.

There is just so much context being left out here that we’ll just have to agree to disagree and move on. 

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

Sorry to say, Corral reminds me of Grier. When you watched him in preseason action, he just didn’t have it. There’s poor decisions and missed throws that happen for rookies but he just looked out of place. Mayfield certainly hasn’t been good but Corral looked lost. I see us going QB in the 1st just like Iky due to terrible results patching the OL. We’ll decide we are done trying to get a cheap win at QB and actually invest. The funny part is that retread/late rookie approach hasn’t been cheap. We’ve given up a 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths and a 6th along with $65M+ cap in 3 years. We basically failed miserably trying to get a low cost turn around to play well and to actually be low cost.

At least we didn't trade up for Justin Fields (or did he fall to us?). He looks like a bust. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

If we pick a QB in the first, Corral is a bust. We spent a 3rd and 4th to get him.

We aren’t evaluating Corral in 3 quarters of play, we are comparing him to other rookies, none of whom were 1st team players. He looked the worst and least ready to play in the NFL. We are extrapolating that it’s highly likely he’ll never be a good starter. It’s that simple. Malik Willis was considering far more raw and he’s looked so much better so far and in preseason.

You got all that from a handful of Preseason snaps? That's a spicy speculation.

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Corral is very much a question mark, but I say we draft one and let them battle it out.  You have to have a QB to compete and a 3rd/4th isn't a high enough investment for us to pass on one this year.  Even if he becomes our backup that is a cheap backup QB IMO.  

• Beer 1

@stbugs Is not a fan of Corral.  So, we need to take his takes on him with a grain of salt.

That said if we end up in the top 5 in the draft, I think we'll try for one of the elite QBs that come out of this draft.  Right now, Stroud seems to be the front runner, but I doubt we get first dibs on him.  

Corral, IMO, didn't get much of a chance and that's on Rhule.  If he wasn't going to get a clean shot with some decent o-line than they should have just sat him the whole preseason.   Many want to view his preseason as a precursor to how he would play in the NFL.   Game one was terrible, but he did much better in game 2 before getting hurt.  Given the chance I think he'll be a solid player in this league.  Whether it is with the Panthers, will be the question. 

We don't have nearly enough results yet to determine where Corral is between the "elite" and "bust" extremes of the spectrum.  That is a self-inflicted wound by this team.

My biggest fear is we draft a QB in the first (which I would vote for today), then have another "competition" next season, and PJ Walker winds up being the starter.  I swear, somewhere in the 23 and Me data base there is a familial match between Walker and Rhule.

• Pie 1