• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derek Carr anyone?

joemac

On 9/29/2022 at 7:11 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

He has a no trade clause and he is under contract through 2025.  For us to get him to come here we would have to rip up his deal and give him something like $200 million

Wouldn’t the raiders save a ton of cap space if they cut him a couple days after the SB, at that point he’d hit waivers bc it’s not the start of the new league year right?

I’d prefer us not get him but if we do would it be for that much? 

• Beer 1

Derek Carr would be a significant upgrade over any QB the Panthers have had during the last 5 years. 

If Derek is released by the Raiders, the Panthers would do well to explore a deal with him.  With Sam off the books, the additional cost to acquire Carr might be no more than 10-15 million per season (30-35 million per year?).  Having Carr at QB would make the Panthers a favorite for NFCS champions in 2023.

Possibly the best aspect of signing Carr to a contract would be gaining the inside track on attracting Davante Adams, a true #1 WR. 

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Wouldn’t the raiders save a ton of cap space if they cut him a couple days after the SB, at that point he’d hit waivers bc it’s not the start of the new league year right?

His contract guarantees his entire 2023 salary and $7.5M of 2024 if he is on the roster February 15.

His next three years are almost all salary ($33M, $42M, and $41M in that order).  As @Murph said, his dead cap is a tad over $5.5M, so it's not likely anybody is going to trade for him with those numbers.

Moral of the story is he enters the FA pool with Darnold and a few others.  We probably need a vet, so if the numbers work, he's worth considering but my guess is somebody will offer him more than we want to or can shell out.

His numbers were down a bit this year, but the ones that were down the most make me wonder if it was more due to McDipstick's offense. 

Good ole' Josh had the same MO in Denver.  He almost immediately made their starting QB public enemy number one.  Nobody is going to confuse Cutler (Denver at the time) or Carr with Montana, but the fact he followed up Cutler with Kyle Orton and then drafting The Golden Calf of Bristol makes you wonder what he will want do for an encore. 

The guy is lucky the Raidahs are too cash poor to fire him and pay a replacement.  A lot of their fans are asking how this genius could turn a QB good enough to take them to 10-7 and a playoff berth last year into one who rolls 6-9.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Pie 3

Raiders will cut him and eat the $5M. I really don't see any team trading or grabbing him on waivers for $30M. We have like $1M in cap space currently, I don't think it would be worth the cap gymnastics to get him as our next journeyman QB for 2 years. I also don't see why anyone would even entertain the idea until after the draft

• Pie 2

What makes you think the reasons the raiders dont want him anymore will magically dissappear in Carolina, the same thing we should have asked before the Darnold and Mayfield trades 

The only cast off QB that ever turned out good for us was Jake, but that was lightning in a bottle 

Go with a Rookie , unknown is better than a proven failure 

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep. I think they’ve seen enough and want to replace him. His contract is such that they almost have to release him if they don’t want him. No one is going to trade for him when they know the Raiders will release him. I think it was obvious when they benched him the last two weeks. I’m sure his contract probably had some guarantees due to injury and they weren’t taking that chance for $40+ million.

His 2023 salary (32.9mil) + 7.5mil of his 2024 salary (41.9mil) become guaranteed for injury on Feb. 15th. I’d consider rearranging cap if it wasn’t for the 7.5mil guarantee in 2024 bc he could just be cut with no issues if he didn’t play like a top 10 QB next year. 

Would much rather give draft capital and a QB for five years on the cheap than pay a big contract for a QB. That’s the ideal blue print.

Generally, that big contract/vet QB blueprint option #2 isn’t going to work on an already cap crippled, perennial 5-win team. 

6 hours ago, The Lobo said:

Pretty sure it'd be $30M in 2023 and $40M in 2024 if you grabbed him off waivers, the $30M would be guaranteed but you could get out in 2024 with a dead cap hit of $7.5M. If he got cut and cleared waivers I think you could get a much friendlier cap hit in 2023 but he would probably want more guaranteed down the line. Either way I'm tired of the turnover. Darnold knows he's on the path to being a career backup and actually seems pretty cool with the idea, wouldn't be a distraction. Just draft a guy and go with Darnold/PJ/Minshew etc for a couple months without wrecking our wide open cap space we have after next year

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Pretty sure it'd be $30M in 2023 and $40M in 2024 if you grabbed him off waivers, the $30M would be guaranteed but you could get out in 2024 with a dead cap hit of $7.5M. If he got cut and cleared waivers I think you could get a much friendlier cap hit in 2023 but he would probably want more guaranteed down the line. Either way I'm tired of the turnover. Darnold knows he's on the path to being a career backup and actually seems pretty cool with the idea, wouldn't be a distraction. Just draft a guy and go with Darnold/PJ/Minshew etc for a couple months without wrecking our wide open cap space we have after next year

Lol...but you are tired of the turnover?