• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 cap hits

ncfan

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s what happens when you hand out crappy extensions to crappy players. Over $100M handed to Sam, Robby, Donte and Thomas. I mean poo, that’s the actual contract value we handed out. 🤦‍♂️ 

Sam was a calculated risk at one year.  The rest we all knew were JAGS. I mean Thomas is a poor mans JAG.

2 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Yup still do. 

I said in a different post but I think you need to look at a trade as a trade itself and then how they are coached.

A 3rd rounder for a top 10 corner. You make that trade any day. 

kudos to you for digging but there is no way that is a good trade.   The second they report to the team their draft position is a moot point.  Its how they are practicing and playing and the fact that he was so "cheap" should have been a huge warning flag. 

Edited by mrcompletely11

We have a ton of space in 2024. We’ll have 10 mill carry over from this season. Shaq and Anderson will be gone. Burns will be extended (lowering his cap hit) or traded

But for the life of me I can’t understand why they paid Donte Jackson. That 14 mill cap next season stings. I mean I can, he was another guy Rhule liked but yeah…

So again, this is why losing out is so damn important. If we miss out on our top QB choice it’ll most likely have to be Corral next season. 

So if you’re hoping for wins on Sunday you’re punting on next season too

On 10/3/2022 at 7:42 PM, CanadianCat said:

You like to pile on all the time and generally poo post, but for those that actually want a balanced perspective... 

Sam was a good trade. At the time the consensus was that the Jets wrecked him and if he would have hit not one would be complaining. Picking up the 5th year option was a mistake 

CJ Henderson was a good trade. A 3rd rounder for a starting player, with his upside, is always worth it. 

Baker was a good trade. Also considering they took some of his salary for a potential franchise QB... again good trade. 

And I know your going to say that well Sam and Baker suck. Thats true, but I for one can appreciate that we made all those moves with a decent potential that we might get impact players and never needed to touch our 1st or 2nd round picks.

Evaluate the trade for what it is. How the player is coached is another story.  

If someone can coach CJ to turn around it will help. 

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agree on your last statement. There’s a lot of nostalgia in the huddle. Just look at the Wilks bringing back the bats thread. There’s a lot of people who wouldn’t mind Wilks winning some games to prove Rhule sucked and that 2015 was a great year. We’ve got some talent but we don’t have 2015 talent, especially a healthy Cam. Not getting our stud QB and rolling forward with Wilks would be a huge mistake IMHO that could keep us in this mediocre rut missing out on our Herbert’s.

This team has lost its swag, especially from 2015 Cam. It has no identity. I don't care if we lose the rest of the season, I want the identity of this football team back. Ground, pound, and hit you so hard you think twice about coming across the middle again. 

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

It looks bad but it’s just a one year thing and the Panthers can open up ~$25m in cap space by, as states, cutting/trading Robbie and one of Shaq or Donte (personally I wouldn’t be surprised if Donte is moved at the deadline to a CB-needy contender like Rams, Chiefs, or Bills). Even more cap space can be opened by signing Burns to an extension and lowering next year’s $16m cap hit. 

If the Panthers end the season with a top 3 pick, no brainer to take a QB and maybe sign a cheap stop gap vet to back him up. That’ll allow Carolina to make some shrewd moves in FA and then 2024 moving forward is a fairly clean cap sheet. 

Some of the tweets are making assumptions or adding figures that go in after we'll be making the necessary changes to get where we want to be.  We have a hefty amount of contracts in that mid 3-7 mil range that add up a lot and they have equal dead cap attached.  Restructures are clearly needed.  The big contract targets for restructure would be Corbett, DJ, & Moton.  Converting some of theirs to a pro-rated bonus would benefit and be instant added cap.

I do feel like it's in our interest to get max value for Burns pre-trade deadline rather than trying to overpay/outbid for him.  Send him somewhere he can instantly sign an extension with and get top returns in picks.  I know it would be tough, but I don't think he's worth overpaying right now.  And we really don't have the realistic space.  

And then elsewhere--

Shaq (13 mil savings), Robbie (11 mil savings), & Elf ($5 mil savings) are the obvious decisions.  That's $29 mil right there with cap space+dead money adjusted.  They're basically playing for their next teams/contracts this year.  

They can get to ~12-15 mil in space fairly quickly with not even trading anyone.  Leaves VERY little room for front loaded competitive contracts but it's a start. 

If we play it right, they can figure out a path to $20 mil under and an extra 2023 pick with the only substantial player loss being Burns & Shaq.  And are those guys REALLY irreplaceable?  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Sounds nice but I just want a good QB to build around. Being a ground and pound team hasn’t really produced SB teams in the past decade. Even teams with good RBs got there on QB play.

Passing is important but run game sets the attitude for offensive linemen. Run blocking is fun. Being able to establish that attitude always makes it easier. Finishing games running all over guys is fun. It's just the attitude and we haven't had a were going to dominate you attitude in too long. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It just doesn’t win nowadays. Derrick Henry is fun to watch at times but o even with the surprise KC win in his rookie year (had less than 500 yards in the regular season), Tennessee has only had 1 decent run in the playoffs and they’ve had a solid OL. They surprised KC and then had that one nice run but they’ve missed the playoffs or been 1 and done every other year. Even in the nice run, all it took was a decent D and they got beat. Even after the surprise KC win his rookie year, NE stopped him and beat them by 21.

It'll be interesting to see how Philly does in the playoffs this year.  They run a lot.